In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New safe question

rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
I just bought a new safe for my guns. I also bought a goldenrod dehumidifier. Is is ok to keep ammo in the safe with this goldenrod? I felt it, and it gets hot. I did mount in on brackets that it came with. There were very little instructions with the rod. All it said is that it was "safe to use".

Rameleni1

Comments

• Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I have had one in my safe for ten years,no problem with ammo.I would not store black powder in it or least I do not do this.

"It was like that when I got here,I think"
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Modern ammo is a propellent not an explosive, 4 wheeler Is right you will be fine as long you don't store black powder in it, and even then there shouldn't be much chance for danger. The golden rod does not get that warm, all they do is slightly heat up the air, which then rises and creates a circulating effect which deters moisture buildup
    I would suggest that you might also try keeping a bag of silica gel in the safe also!
    pa.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed,.....it won't ignite ammo. I also keep 2 of the containers with the moisture beads in them that melt down as they attract moisture. You can get refills of the little white balls at wally world and just keep refilling them. An ounce of prevention.........

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    BlokeyBlokey Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's true that you shouldn't worry about ammo in the safe with a GoldenRod but if you want to be extra safe, put the ammo on the highest shelf (the GoldenRod should be on the safe floor).
    I also have 1lb of silica gel desiccant in addition to the GoldenRod in my safe.