In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nunn,,(or anyone else)Can you explain to me,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,996 ******
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
how the 'decocker' of a SIG pistol functions. I know it safely drops the hammer. But what about the firing pin ?? Yes,your explanation of the 1911 condition 2 got me thinking. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    how the 'decocker' of a SIG pistol functions.

Admit it, "decocker" peeked your interest. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

OMG,,,[:0][:0]
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

[;)][:D]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    The decocking lever on the SIG pistol disengages the hammer from the sear, and lowers the hammer to the resting position, where it stops short of contacting the firing pin. The hammer can only travel far enough forward to contact the firing pin if the trigger is held to the rear.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the train really flew off the tracks on this thread. [;)]
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most SIG SA/DA pistols have an inertial hammer, which means that the hammer has to travel farther forward than it's neutral "rest" position when it's out of battery.

The act of pulling the trigger not only releases the hammer from the SA cocked position, but it also removes a bar from the path of the hammer.

The decocking lever unlocks the hammer without removing the bar, thus allowing the hammer to fall harmlessly against the bar.

I discovered the way the mechanism works while admiring a SIG Mosquito that I had a desire to purchase while working at the gun shop. The light weight of the Mosquito's hammer makes it very obvious that the hammer uses momentum to actually carry it past the neutral out-of-battery position and into the firing pin.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    The decocking lever on the SIG pistol disengages the hammer from the sear, and lowers the hammer to the resting position, where it stops short of contacting the firing pin. The hammer can only travel far enough forward to contact the firing pin if the trigger is held to the rear.
    But the firing pin can't travel freely in its chanel like the 1911??
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But the firing pin can't travel freely in its chanel like the 1911??

You can't be married and not understand a decocker! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Most SIG SA/DA pistols have an inertial hammer, which means that the hammer has to travel farther forward than it's neutral "rest" position when it's out of battery.

The act of pulling the trigger not only releases the hammer from the SA cocked position, but it also removes a bar from the path of the hammer.

The decocking lever unlocks the hammer without removing the bar, thus allowing the hammer to fall harmlessly against the bar.

I discovered the way the mechanism works while admiring a SIG Mosquito that I had a desire to purchase while working at the gun shop. The light weight of the Mosquito's hammer makes it very obvious that the hammer uses momentum to actually carry it past the neutral out-of-battery position and into the firing pin.
    Thanks Jake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know about your 1911, but mine has a spring between the front side firing pin's guide rings and the back side of the bolt face.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thanks Jake.

One think I forgot to mention about the Mosquito's hammer is that you can actually watch it bounce back to its neutral position after it hits the firing pin.

Also, a SIG's decocking lever keeps tension on the hammer so it doesn't just slam down. Pressing the lever downwards unlocks the hammer, and the hammer rides on the lever's mechanism as the lever returns to its rest position.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this... I was NOT familiar with the use of a decocker years ago.
    Having never owned a weapon with a decocker rather than a safety.

I purchased a Ruger pistol WITH a decocker...
    The first time I released the hammer with it and it "fell"...
    Scared the ever livin' begeebies outta me!

Stopped what I was doing and read everything I could on how it functioned...
    Even then... I always hesitated dropping the hammer with the decocker again.
    And still slowly lower the hammer as I do with my 1911...

Something in me says 'mechanical' things break... At the worse possible opportunity.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thanks Jake.

See? I'm not entirely useless when it comes to firearms. Only mostly useless. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But,when decocked,can the fireing pin move freely ??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

Something in me says 'mechanical' things break... At the worse possible opportunity.

That's the big difference between a Ruger and/or Beretta decocker and a SIG decocker. The SIG doesn't let the hammer "fall." The hammer will go down as quickly or as slowly as you release the pressure your thumb puts on the decocking lever.
  • Options
    edited November -1

I believe there is still a spring between the front of the firing pin and the back of the bolt face to keep the firing pin from unintentionally moving forward.
  • Options
    edited November -1

That's the big difference between a Ruger and/or Beretta decocker and a SIG decocker. The SIG doesn't let the hammer "fall." The hammer will go down as quickly or as slowly as you release the pressure your thumb puts on the decocking lever.
    True,and I like that,,[^][^]
  • Options
    edited November -1

I believe there is still a spring between the front of the firing pin and the back of the bolt face to keep the firing pin from unintentionally moving forward.
    Wonderful. I was hoping/thinking so,or what would be the point of the decocker,if a sharp jar or dropping the gun could make it fire. Nunn's explanation of condition 2 carry of a 1911 made me think of this. (1911 carriers,thread)
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    The SIG pistols that I am familiar with have a passive firing pin safety, so no, the firing pin cannot contact the primer unless the trigger is actually pressed, disengaging the safety.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Wonderful. I was hoping/thinking so,or what would be the point of the decocker,if a sharp jar or dropping the gun could make it fire. Nunn's explanation of condition 2 carry of a 1911 made me think of this. (1911 carriers,thread)

One way you can check to see if there is a firing pin safety would be to take the slide off and look at the bottom of the firing pin housing/bolt. If there is a firing pin safety that is deactivated by pulling the trigger, there will be a small spring-loaded button just off-center near the area where the firing pin channel is located.

Such a safety exists on Glocks and ever Springfield XD model I've ever had hands-on time with. It is sometimes referred to as a "drop" safety, meaning that it is meant to keep the firearm from firing if it is dropped, because it is a physical block in the firing pin channel that prevents the firing pin from moving if it is not properly disengaged.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1

DITTO!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The SIG pistols that I am familiar with have a passive firing pin safety, so no, the firing pin cannot contact the primer unless the trigger is actually pressed, disengaging the safety.
    Thank you,thank you!!!![^][^][^][^]

We have an older P226,older Pro 2340,and brand new Mosquitto.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many Sigs like the P220 should not be carried with the hammer manually lowered on a loaded chamber, this practice overrides the firing pin block.

If the gun is dropped on the hammer it will likely go off. Use the decocker, this will release the hammer to the safety notch which engages the firing pin safety. One of our cops who wore a shoulder holster found this out the hard way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    Many Sigs like the P220 should not be carried with the hammer manually lowered on a loaded chamber, this practice overrides the firing pin block.

If the gun is dropped on the hammer it will likely go off. Use the decocker, this will release the hammer to the safety notch which engages the firing pin safety. One of our cops who wore a shoulder holster found this out the hard way.
    Dang,,thats a hard lesson.[:0][:(][V],,Thanks,Joe.
  • Options
    edited November -1

[One way you can check to see if there is a firing pin safety would be to take the slide off and look at the bottom of the firing pin housing/bolt. If there is a firing pin safety that is deactivated by pulling the trigger, there will be a small spring-loaded button just off-center near the area where the firing pin channel is located.

Such a safety exists on Glocks and ever Springfield XD model I've ever had hands-on time with. It is sometimes referred to as a "drop" safety, meaning that it is meant to keep the firearm from firing if it is dropped, because it is a physical block in the firing pin channel that prevents the firing pin from moving if it is not properly disengaged.
    Was pretty sure,but,you made me pull the slide and look. Yes,the SIG's we have does have this 'button'. The firing pin is under reward spring tension. I can manually push in the firing pin,from the back of the bolt,but it does NOT protrude the bolt face,,unless I depress the 'button' you speak of. Thank you!![^][^][^]
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1

Thanks Jake.

See? I'm not entirely useless when it comes to firearms. Only mostly useless. [:D]
    SIG Classic Series pistols have no bar that blocks the hammer.

The decocker releases the sear from the hammer's single action notch. As the hammer rotates forward the sear then catches it's 'safety intercept' notch.

In addition these pistols are equipped with a firing pin block which does not allow it to move forward unless the trigger is positioned completely to the rear.

FYI - You might've been confused by hearing of a part in these pistols called a 'hammer stop'. This is a small polymer piece which limits rearward travel of the hammer to prevent it from battering the frame. That's what that tiny pin through the rearmost portion of the frame retains.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you,Txs. [^][^][^]
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Ask Lorraine Bobbit!

The first few times I used my decocker on my 5906 (pointed in a safe direction, of course) I cringed a bit, but did not pee any at all.

I was proud of myself!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MaxOHMS
    The first few times I used my decocker on my 5906 (pointed in a safe direction, of course) I cringed a bit, but did not pee any at all.No sweat there either.

S&W's system does use a bar which rotates up and blocks the hammer - and a firing pin block.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    how the 'decocker' of a SIG pistol functions. I know it safely drops the hammer. But what about the firing pin ?? Yes,your explanation of the 1911 condition 2 got me thinking. Thanks.

Watch very closely ... I know it's in there somewhere ...
    asian-girl-bang-bang-gif_zps303405b7.gif
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

One think I forgot to mention about the Mosquito's hammer is that you can actually watch it bounce back to its neutral position after it hits the firing pin.

Everything old is new again.

This is exactly the action of an 1895 Winchester.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    43985710.jpg

[;)][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Viktor

Goole is your friend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Goole is your friend.
    Sounds profound, but who is Goole?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Goole is your friend.
    Sounds profound, but who is Goole?
    Damned sausage fingers---Google.
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never trust de cockers they are mechanical(and can Break)
    or female and can be a bish)[:D]

""Something in me says 'mechanical' things break... At the worse possible opportunity.""
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan
    I never trust de cockers they are mechanical(and can Break)
    or female and can be a bish)[:D]

""Something in me says 'mechanical' things break... At the worse possible opportunity.""
    I can't speak to others, but SIG's design is a type I'm intimately familiar with.

If you examine SIG's decocking system closely you'll see that the odds of screwing up and discharging a round while manually lowering the hammer are astronomically greater.

The pistol's frame would have to somehow break in multiple pieces before the hammer could impact the firing pin and move it forward.

In the 40 years this design has been on the market, with an untold number of them out there, there's never been an instance of one of these pistols discharging by use of the decocker. On the other hand, there have been instances of AD's - some with fatalities - when people operated the gun incorrectly and performed this manually.
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1

Might've peaked or even piqued it too.