In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

One of our bee hives split! Pics!!!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
I looked outside this afternoon at about 4pm and there were Bees flying ALL OVER!!! It was a huge cloud of them and it was LOUD!!!

I called Karen down from her room to come look at her bees and she started FREAKING OUT!!! "Mama this ISN'T good...why are you so happy...I can't believe you are smiling!" "I don't know WHY I am smiling....I'm just a happy person, give me a break....but......this is pretty exciting isn't it." "NO....MAMA....THIS IS NOT GOOD!!!!"

She went and called our friend that has been helping us with everything and she told him they may have just hatched out and they probably were just new bees. (I had walked out into the yard to get a look at the tree they were near) I told her, while she was still on the phone with Jeff, there was a HUGE clump of them on a limb!!! He said....."hang on...thats different...I'm on my way."

It has taken about 4 hours, but he has captured the swarm! That was SO COOL to see!!!

I'm uploading pics to photobucket and I'll have them here in just a sec!
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    What a tease!

[:X]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I'm uploading pics to photobucket and I'll have them here in just a sec!Okay, still waiting, a second has passed already! [:(!]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Remember that she dropped her camera last week .[;)]
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    Longest 'sec' I've ever experienced!![;)]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hurry up with the pics! It is pretty cool. My dad raised bees for 3 years, it was a lot of fun robbing the hives. Amazing how easy it was and with very few stings. I was spinning the comb without a shirt on, bees everywhere and I got 1 sting on the belly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its all Photobucket's fault!!! I can't wait to show you guys these pics. Karen was the only one of us that got stung. Jeff had his suit on....we just stayed back, but Karen is so sweet one of them HAD to come get her!

Pics are almost loaded!!! Coming asap!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RogueStatesman

Longest 'sec' I've ever experienced!![;)]

This must be what they mean by a new york minute...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its all Photobucket's fault!!!Someone else is always to blame! [}:)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    OK!!!!

Here is where they were.....

Karencamera222.jpg

Karencamera220.jpg

Karencamera228.jpg

Karencamera231.jpg

Karencamera232.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, that was a pretty cool capture!!!!

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,997 ******
    edited November -1
    WOW [:)][:)][:0][:0][:)][:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    and they are heavier than you think!
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that's a ladder!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WHATEVER!! Typical woman who's gotta blame SOMEBODY ELSE for her own screw-ups!!

Just Kidding[;)][;)]

Its all Photobucket's fault!!! I can't wait to show you guys these pics. Karen was the only one of us that got stung. Jeff had his suit on....we just stayed back, but Karen is so sweet one of them HAD to come get her!

Pics are almost loaded!!! Coming asap!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But I must say that seizure was very impressive! Good job!!
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice pics!
    What's next?
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    WOW..Thats a lot of bees, I guess congrats are in order
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did he caputre the new queen bee!! Or will you use a new queen in a new hive?? Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We know there is a queen in the bunch we caught.....after we got them dumped into the bucket the lose bees were just covering the outside of the device, still trying to get into where the queen was.

I think Jeff said he saw a queen cell in the hive these bees all left from. It is a weak box now because of all these bees leaving, but we still think it will be fine.
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a new beekeeper too! Started last year. One of my hives swarmed this year and I caught them, then another swarm from somewhere else showed up last week. I caught them too, and now have two more hives.

How long have you been doing it? We're having fun with it.
    By the way, I'm told a swarm hive is the most productive. So a swarm is kind of a blessing in disguise. (as long as you catch them again)

100_5299.JPG

100_5301.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank goodness for telephoto/zoom lenses, huh! [:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    Jeff was telling us that we had to move this captured hive away from this area or they would most likely leave. This swarm was from one of our 4 hives. We started all of this last year. The first hive we tried did HORRIBLY. We decided to give it a go again and got two more hives this year. I think we will actually get honey this time. I am hoping to have enough to share with everyone that has been asking for honey since we started this little adventure.

I wish ours had gone down low today!!!! They couldn't have gotten in a crazier spot. I hear it is odd for them to go up in a tree that high like ours did today.
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend advising me that has been beekeeping for 20-30 years, so that's a big help.
    I didn't move my captured hives. I just put them in a hive box right in line with my other hives. They seem to be staying so far.
    I was told if they stay for a day or so, they'll likely stay all season.

I had two hives last year that did pretty well. 53 lbs of honey. One died over winter. I started two more so I planned to have three this year. Now I have five. I never really meant to get this deep, but it's kind of addicting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We aren't going to get in too much more than this just because this is supposed to be "Karen's thing" and she is a busy girl. She does a good job, but still has a little too much going on to do more than what we have now.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    OLD SAYING
    a swarm of bees in may is worth a load of hay
    " june " a silver spoon
    " july " isn't worth a fly
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    OLD SAYING
    a swarm of bees in may is worth a load of hay
    " june " a silver spoon
    " july " isn't worth a fly
    That Old Saying made sense then and now.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what Honey bees do when they move, or have a new queen or old queen that has been kicked out of the nest. The nest will split, and part of them swarm will move. The queen bee is somewhere in the middle of that swarm.

They seldom sting in aggression when in the swarming mode. They will sting if stepped on or smashed in your clothing.

My Dad used to raise Honey bees, and he would get calls to come & picked up hives of swarming bees all the time. It was how he got his new bees for his apiary.

He once took the clap board siding off the back of a house to remove a hive. We filled five coolers with dripping honey combs when we moved that one. He placed all the combs in a big spinning contraption he had, and all the wax & larva would cling to the sides, and all the honey would drip down in to a catch basin.

Honey is nature's own health food. If you have allergies don't buy store bought honey. Try using only honey that was made by local bees in the area you live in.

Trinity +++