In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 100's, not a bad design

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited May 2004 in General Discussion
I picked up a first year (1961) Winchester 100 Semi-automatic in .308 for a song at the gun shop as you all may remember recently.

I don't know why I had to have it, never heard of them before and it was like it was asking me to pick it up off of that used beat up gun rack.

Well I tore it down to refinish the wood and inspect the inards and found what a simplistic heavy duty semi-auto this rifle really is.

It has an internal gas-piston design, and it appeared that in it's 43 years of life that no one ever cleaned it. All the carbon came off easily (as the gas piston is chromed) and the receiver and bolt have absolutely no significant wear, the blueing is still solid.

I was informed that Winchester had a recall on these for the firing pins and called the number with my serial number and this ole rifle still has her original firing pin.

I thought to myself why would they have a recall on this rifle for a firing pin when this one has been used very,very well from the condition of the wood and carbon built up in it for the past 43 years. Then I removed the bolt assembly and figured out that the firing pin can in no way be moved forward without the lugs locked into the barrel, that's just how they designed it mechanically.

Then I inspected the trigger group and whoooa what is this big piece in the back sticking up, why it's the piece that stops the hammer while the trigger is still depressed and prevents full-auto. If this piece were removed the hammer would hit the firing pin on the return stroke thus forcing the lugs to lock and when the lugs locked allow the pin to engage the primer, repeating those steps until the trigger was released or the ammo was dispensed.

So my .02 cents on this rifle is that the recall is still ongoing not due to a material flaw, but a design flaw that could allow someone to have a machine gun due to the design of the bolt-carrier and firing pin. (ATF Mandated?)

Winchester won't just sell the other firing pin, they have to have the old one turned in. Plus they won't pay for shipping of the rifle to them, which is kind of backing up my theory.

If it was a serious safety issue where they could be held liable you would think they would pay for immediate shipping to them.

Just my .02 cents on the old Winchester 100's. This one isn't going back to Winchester or Nuline Guns for the refurb, she's staying original and in the gun safe. I rifle with a story, that I'm not sure anyone will ever hear the whole truth about.

awcountdown.gif

Comments

• Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    My neighbor just asked me to go site his in with a scope. His father picked it up in Taiwan before going over to Nam. He bought it for $90.00 there and used it throughout his tour. My neighbor said the same thing - these can be converted to full auto and use the 7.62 ammo also, Thats why his Dad got one....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it was shooting times who done an in depth story about the gun.It was the July issue.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're an FFL (I don't know if they will do it if you're not)send them the firing pin,they will send you a new one and a check for $20.00.I've done about a dozen over the years.
    [^] [^] [:)] [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    don't be an idiot, send the firing pin in or let your gunsmith change it and get the $20. i've seen m-100's that have been rapidly disassembeled when the f.p. breaks. the problem with these is that the firing pin can break when firing the 1st round, bolt goes back, front half of the firing pin sticks in the forward position, bolt picks up a round from the magazine and slam fires with out the bolt being locked... instant parts gun. the new firing pin will not hart the value of the rifle but it will make it a lot safer. and no, you cann't make this a full auto with out adding parts, if you remove the disconnect the hammer will just follow the bolt up and it will not fire.