Yessssssss!!!

The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Today, January 31, 2002, is a landmark day for me. For the last 5 years or so, I have been pursuing a very elusive goal.As some of you might know, I am an avid weightlifter, and have been for about 25 years or so.Well today, 1-31-02, (I love that date) I hit 450 on the benchpress. For whatever reason, it all came together today.From this point on, I can continue on with life, knowing that it is worth living!I just wanted to share with you all.

Comments

• simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C'mon now, we all know Dano too spotted you. Tell the truth.Seriously though, good job. Hardwork, preserverence, determination...sorry, I was watching a Nike commercial...
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 9,168
    edited November -1
    Dano --I love the gym and appreciate what it takes to get to 450. Most I've ever made was 300, but I came down with tendonitis in both elbows and mild degenerative junk in both knees (probably from lifting too much too quick) and stopped my routine a while back. Now my biggest "muscle" is my bay window. I still pay my dues though, so one of these days I may get back in there and try to salvage some ground.Personally, my proudest achievement in this realm was passing the physical for the local Sheriff's Dept. at the age of 42. They cut me anyhow for my age, but I hear they talked about "that old guy who did as well as the young ones" for weeks afterward. Whatever you do, keep at it. Sincere congratulations.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano,that really is something.Wow.That's hard to fathom.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    450 on the bench press. Good Lord thats the weight of my dumb bells! You big P---y!Picture a 5 foot 6 236 pound sides dragging the ground with two 450 pound dumb bells, THATS ME! Rosie
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,824
    edited November -1
    I can only say that I'm very happy you're on our side....You are on our side, right? :-)
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    G**D**M Dano! That's one hell of a lot of weight! My max thus far has been only 325. Now, I hope you still do cardio or watch your carbs real close, cause having a 450lb strong chest doesn't mean much if you got 450 lbs of gut to pick up first...
    [email protected]
  • niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, Congratulations!
    [email protected]
  • The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
    edited November -1
    nik, that's the cool part. I eat what I want, when I want. Never done protein powders, steroids, or special vitamins.I weigh 275 and can still put in an honest 45 minutes on the treadmill @ 5.5 mph.Downside is, at 47 yrs. old, I know that I have peaked. Didn't expect to get where I am at that! Hope I can hang out at 450 at least for a month or two.Quick....someone tell me, I can relax now.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bet you have a pile of bricks under the back of that tread mill! Seriously if you can do 45 at 5.5 you have my respect. I do 20 at 2.5 seven days a week and thats about all I can do. Of course I'm a lot older than you. If I was in 1/4 the shape you are in I would be happy.A jealous Rosie
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,837
    edited November -1
    Thats pretty good. When I was in 10th grade, after working out for a year and a half, I benched press 300lbs. That was my goal when I started lifting. I figured another two years I would hit 400lbs. Didnt take 2 years, wound up hitiing four hundred eight months later. Then I quit, but someday, might start up again.Congratulations.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations dano your are one bad dude. Now if dano too was helping you, then that is only 225# each. so you need to clarify this to us who have atrophy from our sedentary life styles. 275# size 15 boots how do you ever fit into the squad car...Auto P.S. how tall are you? I couldn't be as awesome as you are if I made a bunch of stuff up.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 20,800 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you Dano...That is really quite an accomplishment. I still enjoy lifting weights but have had to go the opposite way and do lighter weights, lots of reps. My old back will not take it anymore. I still cheat once in a while and bench 350 to 375 just to see if I can do it. My Dr. told me to knock it off after I did it the last time and hurt myself....It is fun getting older isn't it...As some one else said, I am glad you are on our side....
  • The artist formerly known as DanoThe artist formerly known as Dano Member Posts: 29,215
    edited November -1
    Oto, dano too wasn't anywhere around. He can be a slacker at times. BTW, we are both 6-05.I was benching 425 when I was 26 or 27, hurt myself, had to start over, and work back up. This is the 3rd and last time, I've had to work back up from an injury. The span from 400-450 was a long one. Kept knocking on the door, but no one would answer! Finally, had to kick it in.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 14,524
    edited November -1
    Back at Fort Drum, NY we had a Federal Police game warden who would warm up with 300 pounds. He was in his late 50's and was one tough SOB. He was also one of the friendliest most gentle person I ever met. Throughout his Law Enforcement career he had been shot and shot at multiple times but always maintained that "Gentle Ben" demeanor. Hats off dano!
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations dano!Build-up those pectorals enough and you'll be "bullet proof"!
  • TLynnTLynn Member Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations dano!Oh and you can relax now.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano great accomplishment. A couple of staff I work with can do 400, but not up to 450 yet. For bench pressing it seems to me that people with short arms have a great advantage as the two staff above have. My sleeve length is 38 inches and was never very good at the bench, but I have seem very few cars that I could't bring either end off the ground.(dead lift) I weigh 260 and can only do 30 minutes on a treadmill at 5 mph. I can still dunk a basketball with one hand though. In my old days could do two hands behind my head, cradle, and just about any way I wanted to.[This message has been edited by jltrent (edited 02-01-2002).]
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I was going to joke about how I`ll have to step it up a notch,now that you`re lifting almost as much as me,but no...A very sincere congratulations is more like it..that is a lot of weight,you should be very proud..we are proud of you!Glad to see you reach that goal,this is your time,it all paid off for you.Good goin`!.218
  • Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Right on man! stay positive and may still add 5 or 10 before you platau(SP). Good for you!!!
    Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano,What's the big deal with lifting 450 measly pounds. Ok so that's like what? One of Rosie O's butt checks? Your gonna have to do a lot better than that to impress me.
    edited November -1
    Monkey, I would love to be able to do better than that! Nothing in the world would make me happier.But, I don't think that I could ever left one of Rosie O's butt cheeks. To quote a movie-cop who liked to carry a .44 mag. "A man has to know his limits."Rosie O' would exceed mine.
  • PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great job dano.....450 huh? Now I have somebody to send that damn pickle jar with the stubborn lid to!
    Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,797
    edited November -1
    dano:For pity sake do not, repeat, do not lift just one of Rosie O's butt cheeks. Anatomy and the physical laws of nature take over and the threat of that kind of exposure is enough to knock a buzzard off a dung heap. Clouder..
  • instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good gawd dano, one thing are you setting that or is that a one rep max? either way hats off, i'm nowhere near that in the gym but i can relate to your feeling of accomplishment.
    The world is full of sheep, run with the wolves and make 'em call ya daddy
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 13,200
    edited November -1
    It's great you can meet the BGs on their own terms and take them to pieces with your hands.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When John Matuszak (Oakland Raiders) used to hang out in Milwaukee during the off-season, I saw him "bench" a Harley Sportster 8 times. Then again, he was coked out of his brain, and now he's dead.....What's a sportster weigh? I don't remember the "Tooze's" stats, but he had to duck to get in a standard 6'8 door. I happened to be a bouncer at a bar he came in. That's quite a joke! Thank God he liked me!Congrats, Dano! Goals are good things. Now you need a new one!
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dano, talked to a friend of mine today that is a body builder and weight lifter, his personal best is 415# but he is a pretty small. He told me that there are only a few in Wichita that can do 500, That may become your new goal. and just remember Success: The gradual realization of worthwhile goals.Auto