In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Never saw Him Coming

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
And that disturbed me the most. Was heading to the hotel this morning about 6:00 AM. Was driving down Howell Ave parallel to the airport. Howell Ave is three lanes in each direction N/S divided by a 15 foot island. I was heading south in the middle lane and then would get into the right lane and eventually turn right. I was just kinda cruising in the middle lane when I looked over to the left lane and finally saw the white van just about ready to hit the guy next to me head on. They stopped about 5 feet from each others bumpers as I sped by. Scared the crap out of me that I didn't see the van coming until he was about 20 feet away.

Comments

• Options
    merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe you would have seen him sooner if you hadn't been texting!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it's time that you go to the eye doctor. Or quit driving and take public transportation
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many highway departments recommend the three-second rule as a safe interval, meaning the distance you travel at your current speed. At 70 mph that is more than 300 feet. If you are not observing traffic at that distance, you are at risk. Of course, the dimbulb who passes you and pulls in 50 feet ahead of you torpedoes that idea.
  • Options
    tangaratangara Member Posts: 133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When dating my ex-wife some 25 years ago, I stayed overnight a her parents house. I had to be at work at 5 am so left a Little after 4 am. About 4:30 while cursing down he interstate I see his moron coming towards me heading north and I am heading South. I slowed down and pulled over toward the shoulder. I was less than 100 yards from an exit. The next day read in the paper that this guy did a head on killing an elderly couple within 200 yards of this exit around 4:30 am. He was 2 or 3 times he legal limit of .20. I had just missed his by seconds. Sobering!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It happens...folks get killed in head on crashes on interstates and large roads as you describe frequently. I've read about several Police Officers killed in head ons in the same manner and wonder how that could happen, but combine the approach speeds and other factors such as driver distraction and there you have it. I am surprised they were able to get stopped.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like a kidnapping and you weren't the target. If you stuck around you might've gotten a bullet for your troubles.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Seems like a kidnapping and you weren't the target. If you stuck around you might've gotten a bullet for your troubles.

They were after the cilantro.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    There are a lot of crazies on the roads ... drunk, drugged up, road rage or just pizzed off at the world and some looking to kill themselves while taking others along.

[}:)]

While I still worked at the highway department, a crazed old broad breached the median on La Bajada Hill just South of Santa Fe and smashed head-on into a highway department 3yard dump truck.
    Seems she was mad at the Governor. The state employees were unhurt.