In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for the pepperheads

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,596 ✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
For those of you who grow peppers, do you have some recommendations for varieties particularly suited for fresh eating? Nothing hotter than a Jalepeno please (looking at you 1911a1fan [:)])

I love pulling fresh veggies right off the plant, washing them off and eating them...I have some sweet bells out but just looking for some recommendations for the future.

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Most "peppers" are tastier if you roast ' em first, then peel them & remove the seeds. Some varieties I grow are; Sandia, a medium hot green chile designed by NMSU's AG Center; Hatch 211, a hotter & meatier green/red chile; Tiburon, an Ancho chile with thick meat & a little milder taste than Hatch 211, & is perfect for rellenos; Chimayo, an heirloom from Northern nM with heat & a slightly sweeter taste when red; and Bernalillo Blue, another heirloom with fewer seeds & almost purple when red.
    I have no idea why anyone would leave the peel on a chile, but some folks must enjoy heartburn. I guess those same folks would smoke the cellophane from a pack of smokes, to make sure they get all the "flavor".
    I save seeds every year from my harvests & select seeds from friends around the state. Need some?