In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Put the Garden in

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
This is the latesest I have ever put in the garden.

The temps have been cold here the soil just got over 48 degrees.

I hope I have tomatoes by the end of July.
RLTW

Comments

• Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    It was 28* here last night. Heavy freeze. Had to scrap the crap out of the windshield at 4:30 this am. I noticed on the way home from work Sat. That the Garden Barn was packed. I wonder how many people got screwed when they planted Sat/Sun?

I've planted too early, (about now) last two years in a row. Not happening this year.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep I have had my tomatoes in the sun room. They were tall I about had to plant them with a post hole digger[:D]
    RLTW

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May 10th is garden time around here. You can plant early crops, lettuce, onions, peas, broccoli, etc before that. But tomatoes, beans, peppers, corn etc. it's best not to jump the gun or a lot of years you'll be replanting.

Some years I get a small patch of tomatoes started early with the use of some wooden stakes and a tarp. Use the stakes and tarp in the fall to get through the first couple of frosts too. Keeps you in fresh tomatoes a lot longer.

I have to much going on this year to take proper care of a garden so I'll be buying from th local folks when tomatoes and sweet corn come in.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may move in next to Don, I'll never need to raise a garden again.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Jltrent, is the Man. I'm waiting to see his garden pics.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,648 ******
    edited November -1
    First time in 25 years we did not put out a garden. I?ll miss it come August, but right now I?ll settle for seeing you guys pics.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put mine out today.

Its not much, but its mine.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I 'may' till the garden for the first time this week (the lake ice just went out yesterday). no planting for at least 3 weeks (maybe spuds & onions).
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like Don needs to fire up the lawnmower.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    5jBBueS.jpg

SCG5BZS.jpg

Don
    looks good brother
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Won't even try to put garden in til June - ice just went out on the lake last nite, latest ever.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    5/16 is our average last frost, got down to 33 last night.
    I'm planting 3 days before the next full Moon to ensure that everything comes up.
    Now if I could just keep the neighborhood cats from crapping in the garden until something comes up.....