In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,016 ******
    edited November -1
    (Idahobound, this is David's grandparents)
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Try losing whole quarters like they have in Devils Lake, ND
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    access to water vs. getting flooded?washed away
    This is an age old conundrum. Lots of those old places have been abandoned due to flooding issues.
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all the recent rains I keep telling my wife how glad I am that we live on a hill!

The surrounding area is getting flooded. We're enjoying dry feet!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ellicott city in MD got two "1,000 year floods in two years :(

North Carolina Mountains getting hammered too, soggy May for sure.

Here in Charleston we just broke the record for the wettest May. over 9 inches.

4.88 in one day!

I don't care for rain like that.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is heartbreaking.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WearyTraveler
    With all the recent rains I keep telling my wife how glad I am that we live on a hill!

I've never built or bought a house that wasn't on a hill. Even when I lived right on the river I was on a hill.

Plan ahead or live with the consequences.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,364 ******
    edited November -1
    After living most of my entire life in a swamp, my last move put me high on a hill!

It is very dry here even shortly after a torrential rain storm.

On a sad note, I have only lost brake control on my vehicle twice so far, during the winter going down my driveway!

Lucky for me, I am so far in the sticks that very few cars or horse carriages are passing my driveway! That is during those two times mentioned above!![:0]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    quote:Originally posted by WearyTraveler

I've never built or bought a house that wasn't on a hill. Even when I lived right on the river I was on a hill.

Plan ahead or live with the consequences.
    Yep. Actual flood plain or not, if it looks like water could collect there, I won't live there.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truth be told, there is a lot that can be done.

We lived on 130 acres along a creek bottom when I was a boy, and the first year we were there, the spring flood scoured deeply into the banks as the creek followed the corner. That summer, and for the next 3 or 4 summers, we protected these outside corners, and by the time we were done the erosion was ended.

The larger problem areas were protected with logs laid alongside the corners and secured to deadmen buried 50' into the bank.

The smaller areas were protected with 100s of pickup truck loads of rock. At the ripe old ages of 7 and 8, my brother and I would load up the old F-100 with rock from an old slide and place them alongside the bank. We were tasked with a minimum of 2 loads per day during the summer. IIRC, we got paid a dollar for every load above 2. The spring floods packed the logs and rocks with silt and after 5 or 6 years, the banks that had been eroded cliffs 15' to 20' high were sloped, grass covered banks that shrugged off the flood waters.

Not sure if the water level in the video is at a high point, but we would get at least that much for a week or more during the spring run-off.

I feel badly that this family lost their barn, but it is very possible that there was quite a bit that could have been done to protect it.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    What is this floodwater you speak of?
    I hope the lizards and tarantulas are OK!