In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Knife Carrying

sw.357magsw.357mag Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Does anyone know the knife laws in Michigan. Also, do you know of any good books or videos that teach knife combat. I am pretty sure there arent any knife combat classes out there, there certainly arent any around here.

Comments

• Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sw.357mag
    Does anyone know the knife laws in Michigan.

http://www.google.com

quote:Originally posted by sw.357magI am pretty sure there arent any knife combat classes out there, there certainly arent any around here.

after a brief use of the above mentioned research tool, im pretty sure you're wrong.

thank you for playing.

oh, and just to get ahead of everyone else, "never bring a knife to a gun fight".
  • Options
    sw.357magsw.357mag Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I already found the link for Michigan knife laws. I understand the "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" rule. But guns are way too expensive, especially in today's economy. I can't see spending a months salary on a gun. Also, knives are a lot easier to conceal and are a lot quieter.
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I already found the link for Michigan knife laws. I understand the "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" rule. But guns are way too expensive, especially in today's economy. I can't see spending a months salary on a gun. Also, knives are a lot easier to conceal and are a lot quieter.

I do like your views about knives but I disagree with your views on guns. I see nothing wrong with spending a small fortune on a plinker to shoot frogs with "just because".

Get yourself a big * Bowie Knife.
    1277_large.jpg
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Who says you gotta spend alot on a gun. There's lots of decent guns that will, if not"get the job done". Certainly be better than nothin. That can be had pretty cheap.
    Remember, 90% of firearm effectiveness is in the shooter.
  • Options
    aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    i echo fats there. a good reliable firearm can be found well within reason. my person choice for a carry was purchased for $200 and is relatively inexpensive to shoot. also, with a knife...should something happen, you can still be charged with carrying a concealed weapon. i personally carry a sheffield foldable on me wherever i go. not just for protection, but i tend to used it for many tasks...box cutting, tightening screws....all kinds of things.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Without extensive training with a knife, all you will do is learn enough out of books to get yourself hurt or worst killed. To be good you need weeks of hands on training. Certain martial arts schools will have classes.

For a beginner I would suggest that you carry a small lock blade or a very sharp Hawk bill. You go in low and hug the person around the belly. At the same time you run the knife into your enemy about his spine and bring the knife all the way around to the guys belly button. This will completely lay the guys mid section open spilling his guts out onto the ground/floor. It will render your enemy helpless if you happen to cut his spinal cord. Take into consideration that your knife has to be sharp enough to shave with. Few factory knives are this sharp.

If this is done right, your enemy will think you are trying to wrestle with him and not realize what is happening until his intestings are on the floor/ground. This method really confuses someone and is very effective. You don't need a big knife. A 2" is pefect. Again the most important thing to remember is the knife has to be extremely sharp. Razor sharp.

Even if someone is comming after you with a baseball bat or other club. If you are hugging him around his waist he cannot get a good swing on you. If you are fast enough he won't get even a chance to hit you. The closer you are the less damage they can do to you with a club or bat.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ-55
    So where did you learn that. Cause I was always taught go on the offense right away. Found I cannot punch. But let me get my hands on somebody and I will hurt them. Takes them off their rhythm if you go at them not away.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    momma Q's attack sounds pretty on the offensive too me. In fact it is a sound attack that most wouldnt be looked for if you concealed you knife until attack. You gotta get down a dirty with a short blade cutter, slasher. You also got to be prepared to get hurt to kill your attacker.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    MMOMEQ-55
    So where did you learn that. Cause I was always taught go on the offense right away. Found I cannot punch. But let me get my hands on somebody and I will hurt them. Takes them off their rhythm if you go at them not away.

Experience
  • Options
    clb024clb024 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to a gun show, you'll be shooting for less than you expected.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

A months salary? a good carry gun will start out about 3-4 hundred. And will save your life in situations that a knife won't. But hey, it's your life your willing to gamble on, not mine. But if you do find yourself in a situation that a knife wasn't the right tool for the job and a gun would have saved your life. give me your address now, so I can send flowers to your grave on memorial day
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    I think I'd rather have some street gangsta shoot at me rather than come at me out of the blue with a blade! (he might miss with the gun... sure ain't going to with the knife) Knife wounds can do way more damage than a GSW! And a guy with razor blade pieces glued under his fingernails can really ruin your day without killing you! (so there's no holding back) Within 10 feet you're going to need some luck either way to survive. There's not a lot of defense against what MMOMEQ-55 posted!
    Problem is most Americans are a bit squeamish about cutting. A man that'ud shoot you without batting an eye will many times balk on using a blade. (don't count on this though,there are many that have used knives and wouldn't hesitate to use one again)

Does that tell you I'm scared of knives? [B)]

Heck I'm skeert of guns too! [:D]
    (if they're pointed at me)

Allen
  • Options
    team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you best be under the blade length and blade type with a manual opener...or you can and should be charged with a ccw violation...so unless you can defend yourself with a single edge pocket knife blade of 2.5 inches or less your hosed! i dont understand your thoughts on self preservation...the idea is to protect yourself from the safest distance as possible from your attacker..but yet you want to play out the Rambo thing (close quarter combat).. based on your thoughts and thinking i am very glad you cannot afford a firearm!
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw .38SPL derringers at the last gun show for $149. Not the most ideal weapon, with only two shots, a short barrel, and small grips, but it sure beats picking some guy's intestines out of your socks.

It is at least as easy to conceal as a small knife, and you don't have to bear hug the other guy.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...A knife is for back-up to a back-up gun that is out of commission for one reason or another, not a primary defense; and without proper training and lots of practice, a knife will only get you killed, just as little, poor or no training with a gun could get you or some innocient person killed.

...Even with proper training a QUALITY auto opening knife is better than a manual, or assited opening knife IMO; of course you need to be active military/LEO/or have only one arm to legally carry an auto opening knife. Carrying an auto or assisted/manual goes back to prefferance too, just as with choosing the "right" gun, some people I know who carry a knife for back-up to a back-up gun, prefer manual knives over auto, and vicie vercie.

...A quality auto opener will run the price of a gun that would qualify reliability wise, for a carry gun; considering everything, a good gun would be a far better choice than a knife...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For about $200.00 and some change you can buy a Keltec .380.This a very reliable/concealable little gun and a lot safer than a knife.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    unless you have had training in the use of a edged weapon in close quarters do not attempt it, i guarantee you i can disarm you and use your weapon against you in short order,and it would be self defense. better to carry a knife as a tool than to wind up with it stuck up your bum..jmho[;)][:D]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shop around for a used S&W Mdl 10. If THAT is a month's salary- you are in the wrong line of work.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    You can get a Taurus or Rossi revolver for under $300 around here. If that is a month's salary you need to look for a better job.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:a good reliable firearm can be found well within reason.

Yeah. I only paid 80 bucks for my 22LR Jimenez![;)]
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Never try to stick a folding blade through a car door or into something harder than the knife.
    A fixed blade is (usually) stronger than a folder.
    Even if you have trained for a very long time with different blades and opponents, you will get cut in a knife fight.
    A 2" blade will reach your arteries. Most scalpels are less than 3/4".

The assault response given above will work IF you are fast enough, your opponent has no friends nearby, he doesn't bury his keys in your spine, and you live long enough to heal your wounds.
    I believe that a firearm will continue to be the most reliable, portable and efficient equalizer one could carry on their person, but I'm never without a knife or 2.

It is also my opinion that most folks aren't "hardcore" enough to be able to slash and stab with the purpose of immediately stopping the encounter with any BG, much less leap INTO their attacker to disembowel them. Remember that meat comes from a store for most folks, and a butcher is the only one that sees what that steak came out of. I did hear that Bagwell was holding classes for knife defense a few years ago, but that might have been Bowie-style only.