In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Robo-Turkey

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
GAYLORD, Mich. - State conservation officials may ruffle a few feathers when they trot out their latest enforcement tool.

A robotic turkey that rotates its body and fans its tail is being used in some northern Michigan counties as an anti-poaching device.

Department of Natural Resources officials are planting the bird - nicknamed Robo Turkey - during turkey hunting season to see if poachers gobble the bait.

Authorities put the lifelike bird into service in response to property owner complaints about roadside hunting, said Sgt. Greg Drogowski, of the DNR's law enforcement division in Gaylord.

Robo Turkey saw duty over the weekend, but wasn't shot at, Drogowski said. The bird attracted more than one curious onlooker, though.

"We've had them stop and start using turkey calls," Drogowski said.

One driver spied the bird, stopped, roared off and came back with a friend. Drogowski expected to see a gun barrel poke out the window; instead, the occupants shot photos.

The bird cost about $1,000 and was donated to the state by the National Wild Turkey Federation. The fake turkey isn't bulletproof, though a replacement head came with it.

shoot2.gif
Where there is no vision,the people perish!

Comments

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    That is why I will never give one more dollar to NWTF!!! They took my money and bought the decoy to "ENTRAP" people instead of pursuing poachers or illegal hunters where they would have had to work a little for it!!!! I hope somebody who has permission to hunt on the property where they set it up will blow it to kingdom come!!! NWTF,KMA!!!! GHD