In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GHD, anyone else, about that 17 HMR........

robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
I've been doing some snooping. I see that Savage is making a rifle more affordable, in a bolt action, right up my alley. Also, Heritage Arms is making a 6 shot revolver in a 6.5" or 9" version, now I'm getting excited. I am not a big fan of Savage rifles, especially the way the new one looks, reminds me of an older Mossberg bolt action, but the Heritage revolver I think I have to get. I know it wont live up to the full potential of the round due to the short barrel, but wow, the decelerated round is still a zipper. Help me make up my mind here. 6.5" or 9", rifle or revolver? I need help. Both? Each gun is practically the same in price.

Check out these links

http://www.heritagemfg.com/new.shtml#17

http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire/17hmr/17hmr_home.htm

I've seen the Savage with scope mounts on auction, but I would want it with both sights and mounts, which I havent seen. Anyone know of the availability of this rifle with both sights and mounts? I think if I could get it the way I want it I'd get the rifle. The revolver has some butt ugly adjustable sights, but I guess I could get use to it, or possibly replace them, its the rear one that bothers me.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC

Comments

• Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the Link,I was unaware Savage was chambering this cartridge.I have the Marlin,I wish I had gotten the Ruger.But the Savage should be a good Rifle.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rugster,
    So is this company.

http://www.roguerifle.com

I have one of the chipmunk rifles made by these guys, and its the most accurate .22 I own, no kidding. It may be a childs gun, but I love it. Again, its around 200.00 or a little less, depending on who you buy from.

• Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I think the Savage is a value. They make a package scoped bolt action in .375 H&H (!) for around $500. They ought to be able to make a good .17 HMR.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rob, Taurus is also making a revolver chambered for the 17. Don't know how it compares in price to the Heritage. Here is the website if you want to have a look: www.taurususa.com

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot, either!
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Sarge, I haven't gotten to shoot the Savage 9317 yet but if it's like the other Savage 93's in 22 Magnum I've owned and shot, it should be an accurate out of the box gun!! I think you ought to get both!! I would probably opt for the 6" in the revolver just because I've always felt overly long revolver barrels were cumbersome! Savage makes good little rimfires and them and Marlin both have the same area that needs improvement....triggers!! They can be tuned to some degree but will never be a match trigger! I think you ought to buy the rifle yourself and ask for the revolver for Christmas!! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Taurus is EXPENSIVE. At least for that caliber it is.
    I think I've figured it out, did some more reading. 1)The cost of the ammo doesnt make it competitive with the .22 WMR, probably never will be, who knows. 2)I personally would not use the .17 all that much, and if I really wanted to shoot varmints, I'd do it with a rifle, and I already have 2 .22 Mags. 3)The .17 only out does the .22 Mag. by approx. 350 fps., however the .22 Mag has a bullet weight of 30 gr. versus 17 gr., at least I shoot the 30 gr. bullet in my guns. That gives the edge of energy to the .22 Mag, 322ft.lbs. to the .17's 245 ft. lbs. I like energy, and frontal diameter, .22 has more of it. 4) I wouldnt use either of these guns past 150 yds. so trajectory doesnt play into the equation for me. 5) The .17 therefore would be used to its best advantage in a revolver for me, where the gain in velocity can be best put to use, to make up for a short barrel, and I would also be using the revolver for short range work anyway, on targets and varmints of opportunity, not like I'd be setting up on prarie dog towns with this. Yes sir, I think the decision on the revolver has been made, should be quite a bit of fun to play with in this caliber, now to convince myself I actually need it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    GHD,
    Yes I think the 6.5" is the ticket also. The 9" just looks unseemly to me. Besides, holster choice is huge with the 6.5", but not so with the 9".

• Options
    edited November -1
    Ha! You wont believe this, I just called my dealer, and he just, and I mean just got a 6.5" bbl. Heritage Rough Rider in .17 HMR in, NIB. I gotta call him back to see how much it is, he hasnt even priced it yet. I'll let you know in 10 minutes what it costs.

It'll be 220.00 plus tax, bout the same as the cheapest one I can get off line after paying shipping and transfer fees. My dealer sadly got taken by the distributor, cause he should be able to get me a better deal, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Edited by - robsguns on 11/30/2002 16:17:24
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    You're gonna have a ball with this one!!! GHD