In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It is time to reveal my mystery gun...

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
The gun I have on order is due to arrive in the first couple weeks of December, so I think it is safe now to tell you what it is that I have coming. There are only two guys at Olympic Arms making a small number of these, and the waiting list is 2-4 months, so you may understand my reticence -- I didn't want any big dealer with influence to hear about it and crowd ahead in line, or something.

But, the story is this: As pickenup knows, having recently mentioned it, Oly Arms made about 500 of the OA-93 before cutting off production. The collector price skyrocketed to $4000-5000. There was something about the handgun sized .223 being too heavy to qualify as a handgun, and therefore being a rifle with a shortie barrel. Oly's temporary fix was to produce the OA-96, a sadly less interesting piece with a welded mag, that required top loading like a Garand, and could not use interchangeable AR mags. Boo, hiss.

Well, recently I discovered that Oly now produces the OA-98 -- a new version of the AR-magged OA-93, with metal relieved in non-critical places to reduce the weight to the magical number of 48 oz. -- 2 oz. within the legal limit for a law-abiding citizen to own as a "pistol" (note that the Carbon-15 is street legal). I contacted a dealer who had an order already in line, pending, and he kindly offered to add one more to his order so that I would not have to wait more than about a month for my OA-98 to arrive. I paid him in full, in advance, with a combination of a Glock 27 and magas, a Bulldog Pug and spare grips, and a sizeable money order. I can replace those other guns easily enough, but if the window on the OA-98 closes, I don't want to miss out on getting one. You see, I had an OA-93 on order and could have taken delivery -- just before they stopped production -- but I thought that paying an inflated price of $800 for a gun which had I had already ordered at the price of $400 was something of a cheat, so I PASSED on the OA-93 at $800.

I am now getting an OA-98, with a "recoilless" gas system and no need for that rod poking out behind the grip -- you long-range guys may chortle, but I'm a happy camper on this investment, and will enjoy shooting it, owning it, and taking good care of it. It is due to arrive here in early December barring any unexpected bumps in someone's schedule. Everyone involved has promised there will be no delays. I have a lot of dough wrapped up in this, but these opportunities for the rarer pieces don't come along every day. The recommended load is a 55-grainer, American made -- I have been in touch with Oly on a regular basis, getting questions answered. The barrel is indeed short at 7.5", but keep in mind that a gun like the Sig 552 Commando shoots into 2" at 100 yards with a barrel only 8.9 inches long. That is Mini-14 accuracy, and certainly acceptable out to 50 yards regardless. Obviously, I'm taking a risk here, but a calculated one, and I think that at any gun show, someone desiring to avoid a 4 month wait list will certainly make me a tidy profit on this some day -- in the UNLIKELY event I should decide it's not for me. I think it's a keeper. I publish this news here now so that you can enjoy the anticipation with me -- and so that the manufacturer and the seller will have a little something riding on a smooth delivery, as well.

So there you have it. Gun shown below. It's a standard lower, takes GI (non-Colt) parts, regular AR mags, no polymers except the grip, etc. etc.

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Looks like a nice piece to me. Hope you enjoy it.

The NRA is on our side!
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats an extremely interesting piece, and with the mag. capability, will probably be on the banned list quite soon. Good investment, hope she shoots well for you.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Personnally, I think it is uglier than sin - BUT - if it is what floats your boat, I wish you all the joy of it. I hope that it will shoot well and (despite your wish for value improvement) I also hope that it does NOT end up on the banned list. There are too damned many on that list already.

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    offeror,
    People think my SRHs are ugly too, dont worry, I like it fine. Looks like it belongs on the hip of Robocop, pretty futuristic looking if you ask me. Seems like a good idea to reduce the weight on the real M-16s we carry in combat too, might make a difference while embarking someday, never know when you might need that extra little bit of umph when carrying the gun thats lighter, or when you wish you could cross the ocean one knott faster with a lighter ship. Let us know how she fires. Then send it to me, and I'll test it in the field, see how those lighter polymer parts hold up.

• Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on what should be a fine weapon.I would love to put a few rounds through it.Enjoy

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rob --
    You didn't quite get me. There's no polymer except where there is on the M16 -- the grip. All the relieved parts are metal. Sometimes, progress comes in strange ways -- maybe some of these ideas will wind up on the issue guns -- as long as they don't reduce strength or durability. Anyway, I had a good day at the gun show too. Got a few exta mags for my 1076 and a DeSantis holster for it, first class leather, with thumbreak, in new condition, for $20. I think I even came back a few bucks ahead, since I did some horse trading.

Shoot- I like ugly. Heheheheheheh. My dog is so ugly she's gorgeous. And besides, I used to work with the writer of RoboCop so it makes perfect sense I'd have a gun that looks like his. Did you know Robo had some of his beginnings in Judge Dredd and Iron Man comic books? I just hope I get this gun SOON.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It floats my boat, (as he reaches for a towel to wipe the drool from his quivering lips.) I hope you enjoy it as much as I think you will.

I'm with rugster, LOAN it to me, as I would love to put a few rounds through it. I will send it back as soon as I am done putting a "few" rounds through it. Maybe 20-30,000 rounds or so. I'll send it back, I promise.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    Mall NinjaMall Ninja Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't believe no one has said it yet ~

HOLY! HOLY! HOLY!

MOLEY!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nope I didnt get you completely. I thought from the picture that the grip was relieved though, and that is what I need to test for you, for combat purposes. So...soon as you get it, be sure to send it to me, cause I wouldnt want you finding out its weaknesses at an inopportune time. Its nice looking to me, I'd own it.

• Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KABOOOOOMMMMM!

Dont tell anyone is noisy you may get your opinion spoofed!

JD

Donate to free energy R&D Just Paypall $$$ to:
    arkresearch@hotmail.com
    Intelligence is not measured in paper but in the ability of adaptation and analysis performance in multy-tasking problem solving work....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JD -- Mind over matter: I don't mind, so it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offeror ,I once played with one of thoose in .308 ,it was noisy that is for sure But is the best dammed purchase of a lifetime !!! its a little mean tool quite reliable and scarse as wooden horse dung ...
    ASK for the model in .308 try to get one ...wile you can ...too bad we gave the word out.....(Mind over matter ,"wear ear protectors")and enjoy it ! I did not care either !!! What matters is you got one !

JD

Donate to free energy R&D Just Paypall $$$ to:
    arkresearch@hotmail.com
    Intelligence is not measured in paper but in the ability of adaptation and analysis performance in multy-tasking problem solving work....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JD --
    Like I said, gather your homeland security tools while ye may. At least if they ban these too I'll probably be grandfathered in. I don't think they'll bother trying to make these Class III. At least, not the Republicans.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    robs, I'll keep your "needs" in mind in terms of your firing requirements -- while I'm busy testing it out at the range. Needless to say I'll start with both ear plugs AND muffs.

JD, while I appreciate the sentiment, I'm not sure I really NEED this gun in a sniper caliber, given that it's effective range may not be all that great. Nevertheless, it will be a ball to shoot, no doubt.

I won't believe it until I'm holding it in my hands. Despite all the data -- reputable dealer has my guns & money, Oly says his order's being built for delivery in early Dec. -- I just will feel more comfortable when this is all over. There is still an element of risk in anything Internet, you know? Not that I can't show up on the dealer's doorstep, or worse yet, call his local ATF office perhaps. But I do trust the guy, at least 90%, given that Olympic knows and trusts the guy. You see my anxiety.... I will be delighted to report to you all this fellow's good name and reputation once a successful transaction is complete, so that he may benefit from having treated a customer well on this deal. Seldom does one find an auction seller who can remember his customers day to day, let alone weather a waiting period like this for guns and keep everything straight.