In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why are there NO Pro-Gun ads on TV?

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just today there were two different ads on TV from the Anti-Gun folks. Why doesn't an organization, such as the NRA, run some Pro-Gun/Shooter/2nd Amendment ads in support of this same issue?

It seems the facts are readily available and largely support the rights of us average Americans' rights to legally carry concealed weapons, with a few minor qualifications. Many of the statistics I've seen or heard of (largely from this site) show that just because someone is carrying a concealed weapon, they are not automatically pre-disposed to use it. Quite the contrary, I notice many here dread and fear the day they'd ever have to use their weapon in self-defense, or the defense of another.

Just wondering why an organization does not get out there, on the airwaves and spread the truth. I'd certainly make a contribution if they were going to lobby for our rights and use facts to inform and influence the rest of America, vice the emotional, factually baseless pitch the anti-gun folks use.

Any thoughts?

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Because most TV stations, being viruently anti-gun, wouldn't run a pro-gun commercial for all the tea in China.

They'll show movies and TV shows where lunatic "heroes" blow people away left and right, but God forbid they should actually run a public service announcement that revealed the truth about guns and gun owners.

So I guess the answer to your question is they're ignorant, fearful little bigots.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Because most TV stations, being viruently anti-gun, wouldn't run a pro-gun commercial for all the tea in China.

They'll show movies and TV shows where lunatic "heroes" blow people away left and right, but God forbid they should actually run a public service announcement that revealed the truth about guns and gun owners.

So I guess the answer to your question is they're ignorant, fearful little bigots.
    BINGO!!

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    EMM/ISP,

Roger, but what about some of the outdoors/hunters/sportsman channels? I know they do not run ads for the Anti-Gun folks, but what about some sort of "Public Service Announcement" (PSA) for the educational development of the masses?

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I don't watch TV too much, so I don't know if they do or not. I would assume that it's either a question of money (no one's paying them to) or litigation phobia ("You ran a gun commercial and my boy was shot! I'm suing you!").

You'd think the NRA would fund PSAs advocating gun responsibility and education. Lord knows there are plenty of pro-gun actors they can use (Tom Selleck, Joe Mantegna, etc.).
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The answer to that is....Give the devil its due...The NRA has tried to buy time on national TV.

They get some...at 3 AM...

Our masters do not chose to allow a fair,balanced discussion on the issue....
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Whe I watched TV, back on the other side of puberty, i remember guns being glorified on TV shows. Free ads. Just like smoking.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I thought all tv stations were under Israeli power now?

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    espn used to run nra ads i dont know what happened though they dont show them anymore

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • Ruger22Ruger22 Member Posts: 385
    edited November -1
    Simply put, the media is dominated by anti gun psychos and other perverts and degenerates. They have objectified guns as evil and took personal responsibility out of the equation. Those who call inanimate objects evil are by definition insane.
    These are the same hypocrites who use large knives to prepare dinner at home every night., and some of them have been known to brandish their knives at spouses. This is the ultimate form of hypocracy.
    I used to see NRA commercials on prime time, but thats ancient history. Now, Hollywood is so well entrenched in institutionalized Bolshevism, that the ad execs and network producers would probably laugh at you for even mentioning it, this is why every responsible citizen should be an NRA and John Birch Society member.

~Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour~
    ~Proud member of the NRA and The John Birch Society~
    ~Protecting the 2nd Ammendment and United States Sovereignty~
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Maybe everyone from GB should write letters and/or e-mails to NBC, CBS, and so on asking them why.
    I sure would like to see pro-gun commercials, it's gotta be better than those silly orange county choppers adverticing AOL. [8D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local TV station may not be pro-gun by the management's position but it sure has it's share of pro-gun coverage of the local gun sports. The weather man is an avid shooter and many of the staff are hunters. Also when a shop keeper or home owner shoots an attacker there is nothing made of it except that the bad guy was stopped. It's a CBS affiliated station, WNEP-TV16.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Because guns are dangerous, designed to do nothing but KILL.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    OLN and ESPN both promote shooting sports on TV.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know why we should guess or opine on this. It seems to me interested parties could ask whether there are such ads being produced and how, when, where and why they are being shown or not being shown. PS--Ad time at 3:00am is cheaper. Whoever is buying should be able to buy time on any cable channel and at any time if they have the money.

In fact, if you want to put ads on locally, there is something cable TV is required by law to do called "leased access" time that is dirt cheap so citizens can run their own material. I'd guess that anyone who provided a tape or even a live show would be accepted under the "leased access" rule -- though the cable companies dislike it and will try to sell you advertising -- but that's NOT a prerequisite for getting leased access time for yourself.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif