In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ok, thinking about selling my first handgun...

phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
I read through the rules and the laws, If I read it right I can only ship handguns(im not a licensed dealer)via FEDEX Priority Overnight. I have to verify the FFL dealer through Gunbroker.coms "verifier". These seem to stick out to me as the most important. Anyone have anything else to add, tips, something I have overlooked? thanks alot.

Glock 19C
Henry Lever Action 22Mag
Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
http://nationalgunbuyingday.org/banner-big.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******
    edited November -1
    Get an ink signed copy of the dealer's FFL in your hand before you ship. Keep it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Nunn, where is it writen that a signed copy off the receiving dealers FFL is required by a "nondealer"? I was under the impression that confirmation of the receiving dealers FFL address was all that was necesary by a nondealer? [8D]

ag00612_.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wizard78--I've shipped a few handguns via FedEX over the years. FedEX really prefers that you have a copy of the dealer's license in hand. Actually, it just makes things run smoother. Required? Nah. Helpful? Heck yeah.

"Keep it." would probably imply a CYA type of thing going on. There's all sorts of things that you can do with a photocopy of anything whether it's ink-signed or just a photocopy of the original. I won't elaborate because it really isn't important and I don't think any of us here want to go to the big house.

I prefer to get an ink-signed copy of the dealer's FFL that is signed in a color other than black ink. Copy machines are just way too good these days.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    I agree Idsman. I like a copy of the FFL and I check out the addr. with EZCheck but I thought maybe I've been doing something wrong all this time. I gave up my FFL years ago and I know rules change so I always like to ask when an answer is different than what I've been doing. Thanks.

ag00612_.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been several years since I had a FFL and I know the rules may have changed since. However, for my own peace of mind, I would not think of shipping a gun without a signed (in ink) copy of the dealers FFL.

If...and this is a BIG IF: if something went sour on the deal, and the ATF did an investigation, it would be a great peace of mind to be able to demonstrate I took every reasonable precaution to get the gun into the proper hands.

That's my opinion,
    Rafter-S
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    phxtravis;
    You seem to have the legal part down pretty well.
    Take a look at other auctions and see how they run theirs.
    Like what payment are you willing to accept, and other terms.
    Have good pictures, and a good description.
    I point out any flaws (if any) I do not want the buyer to be unhappy.
    KISS - keep it simple stupid (no offence intended)
    Most people do not want to read through 3 pages of "terms"
    and only have one or two lines describing the item.
    Make sure the `title' accurately reflects what you are going to sell.
    The "title" is how people will search for and find your item.
    I once listed a 1903-A3 as a 03-A3 and only got about half of what they were going for at the time. [:(]
    Good luck.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I sold an 1890's black powder gun...
    But the guys at the gun shop say hold on to every gun you buy. It's an investment.
    Although I did sell a Ruger which didn't "fit" my hand...

california_bf_lg_wht.gif
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One tip: My FedEx office allows shipment by standard air. It's worth asking to be sure you ship at the lowest available price for your office. My manager actually told me this was just one of the advantages of using them over UPS (besides the fact, of course, that non-FFLs can no longer ship via UPS).

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif