In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope for a .22

pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
ok guys and gals...i've asked this question before but the post gets no attention and quickly dissappears in to the abyss. I'm looking for a relatively good scope for my ruger 10/22. I'm looking for something reliable, new or used...doesn't matter. I'm not looking to spend too much on it...under $50 hopefully. Later on I might try and tweak the gun a bit with some after market parts but for now I just want something with a dang scope on it. I figure this will satisfy my craving for a new toy for a while without having to buy another gun.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    Pikeal1: Rimfirecentral might be the place to get this question answered. As expected, they specialize in smallbore arms. A lot of expertise on them there. Wish I had had their input before I broke in my new Ruger 22.[}:)]
    JMHO
    regards,

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Alex,
    I bought a Bushnell 3-9x40 awhile back at Walmart for my old Marlin and the scope works great. You've got to figure out how to slip some stuff around the girlfriend. Got to have a means of getting some new toys. [:D]
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're going to hunt with the rifle, squirrels particularly, I can recommend the Busnell 4x with a 40 mm objective. Still at or under $50 last time I checked. I used a Weaver 4x .22 scope at first, many many years ago, then switched to a Tasco Wide View (looked like a mini TV screen) then finally to the Big objective. Excellent bushytail medicine.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Been looking on at bass pro shops and found the one i have now for $
    25.00 here is the link
    http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=35547&hvarTarget=search
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I think the best thing in your price range is the 4X Bushnell Banner rimfire scope. I have 4 of these on moderately accurate .22 rifles. I have them on 10/22 Ruger, 581 Remington, Remington nylon 66, and Marlin 39A. I would watch buying high power rifle scopes as they are paralax adjusted for 150 yards.
  • Options
    rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 10/22 also. I have a Simmons 4x32 scope on it. It was around 30.00, and comes with the mounts. I really like it, and don't see a advantage of putting a larger scope on it.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I have used a tasco 4x pronghorn on my 10-22 for about 10 years with no problems at all.Tasco silver or golden antler 4x scopes are inexpensive and also work well on 22's
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also had a fixed 4x Simmons on my 10/22. I later put raised scope mounts on it and set the open sights to 10 yards, the scope to 50. That gives a nice combination to use close-up for rabbits in brush, or running, you can just use the open sights. For a sitting squirrel or if you see a rabbit run, then stop out at 30+ yards, switch to the scope.
    I am thinking about dropping a 3x9 Simmons on there in the near future, but the 4x has worked fine for the past 10 years...

My one suggestion is not to over-magnify your scope... I wouldn't get one that you can't reduce the power down to at least 4x.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I think Nikko Stirling are fine for a .22 rifle.
    Good variety of zoom and sizes.

Changed my Nikko Stirling with a Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6*42 when I sold my .308Win rifle.
    Was too happy about the S&B to part with it, so now it sits on my fav .22LR Ansh?tz rifle =o)
    Yes, it's a bit "overkill", the scope is 2? times more expencive than the rifle itself hehe.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a BSA Deerhunter 4X32 to put on Brandon's 22. Nice scope for the money. Paid 32.95 with tax.

bhayes-answ10.gif

Taxation WITH representation isn't so hot either!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bass pro has a tasco world class scope for sale for about $50...its a 3-9X40. Would this work? i am completely clueless when it comes to optics.

what do the numbers mean anyway [?][:p]

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pikeal1,

"What do the numbers mean anyway?"

In this case, 3-9x40:

3-9 means variable magnification, from 3 to 9 times, as opposed to a fixed power scope that just has a single magnification rating, like a 4X (4 times).

40 refers to the diameter of the objective lens (front lens) in millimeters, in this case 40mm, and is an indicator of the light gathering capability of the scope, and therefore an indicator as to how the scope would work under low light conditions such as dawn, dusk or very overcast, etc. The larger the objective lens generally means more light transmission, therefore a clearer picture of your target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rusticwater....thank you very much for your explanation...as I mentioned before...I am clueless when it comes to optics. I think im going to go with the tasco world class...haven't heard anything bad about this series.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out. it is very much appreciated.

Alex

• Options
    alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Tasco WorldClass on one of my 10/22 and a Mag IV on the other. Great deal for the money, they're pretty inexpesive now.
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pikeal1,

Here's a link that provides some good basic scope info:

http://www.bushnell.com/productinfo/riflescopes/techtalk.html

Be careful about Tasco, they went bankrupt and I don't believe there is warranty coverage now although there is still product in the sales pipeline. Bushnell bought the rights to the Tasco name but I don't think they have introduced a new product line yet. I also liked Tasco, I have a couple of their telescopes and a set of marine binoculars with the built-in compass. Seemed like a quality product at a reasonable price. I was shocked to hear they went out of business.

Close to God, far away from everyone else.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the Bushnell. Gave away a couple here a bit ago, or I would send you one.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pikeal1--I can see where the numbers would throw you off when some folks who mean to say "3-9X40" actually type "3X9X40" or "3X9-40" It's my pet peeve.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ids, that is what always threw me off...I thought they were measuring three different things (3x9x40) when it was really 3-9x40...that makes more sense.

I appreciate all of the help from this board...as always.

He-Dog...thanks. You've helped me out enough with that question about the giant water bugs a while back [:D]

had one more question regarding scopes for .22's. I have noticed that some of the scopes designed for .22's look like a tube with out very many knobs and stuff...others look to be a bit more complicated. is there a good reason to put a more powerful scope on a .22?
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Pikeal1 send me an address and I'll send you a pre-Bushnell Bausch&Lomb 2x7.

AlleninAlaska

He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
    -- Thomas Paine
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About a month ago, I got a tasco mag 3x9x32. Pretty nice scope for $20. I would not have bought a tasco but, just wanted a scope to throw on my .22.

"If it's brown, it's down" deer2.gif
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen, You are still the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pikeal you can't beat that price anywhere.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, you are very generous. Thank you very much!