In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you were cleaned out ...

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
... what gun would you buy first?

This morning I was in my basement, tinkering with my latest acquisition and for some unknown reason the thought occurred to me.

Here in Kansas, Tornado season is upon us, so its a real possibility ... Other parts of the country have floods, hurricanes and other natural disasters where people loose everything ... If you don't live in one of those places, imagine you are on vacation and a moving truck shows up and cleans out your house ... you got nothing.

So, knowing what you know now, where would you start rebuilding your "collection"?
If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    First thing I'd get is probably another Mini-14. Then, while the clerk is ringing up the sale, I'd get another Mossberg 835.

Then I'd save up money and probably not replace my Ruger P89, but I would replace the EAA Witness .45 and the Super Blackhawk .44mag.

Knowing that finding a quality Winchester 1300 would be difficult, I'd probably skip that as well...

Maybe get one of those Desert Eagles with the multiple caliber kits...
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I actually did this in 1986 when burglars stole my entire collection. The first gun I bought was a Colt 1911 because my first concern was having a self-defense pistol. Then I waited for the insurance check and simply started replacing the items that I could. Some could not be replaced.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I think I would buy a new "Fort Knox" gun safe, bolt it into the concrete in the basement or slab floor. Then I would go out and buy a new Kimber Grand Raptor Target. Hooah!!
  • Options
    KK Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1911-A1 45 ACP.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Anything big enough to deal with the SOB who
    cleaned me out ... and I'd be comin![:(!]
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    No idea. Some can't be replaced. I'd probably start with a Mossy 500 (hunting and self defense) and work my way back from there.

I would cry most over my Garands and M-1A.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    This happened to me after my ex-wife's lawyers[xx(] (sharks) finished feeding on my carcass. Mossberg 590, SKS and a Makarov began the rebuilding of what was once a collection of nearly 100 top quality firearms [:D]. A second wife (with two small girls included in the deal) and starting up my own business put the brakes on rebuilding the collection (which is now around 12 assorted guns worth about $2K [V]) to anything like it's former glory. Maybe someday.....
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A double barrel shotgun to look for the critter who robbed me.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    10/22 would be first.

Savage 12, 223, bull barrel

Swede M96 6.5x55

Another Swede.

Maybe another Swede.

Swiss K31

Another K31.

Maybe another K31.

Super Blackhawk 44 magnum.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    well, since i cant use rifles to hunt around here[V][:I]i would go out and buy a remington 1100 with a smoothbore slug barrel and mod. vent rib bird barrel. thats practicly all i would ever need

then i would prolly go out and buy a ruger 10/22 stainless, browning gold 3.5 NWTH edition, Browning bps (like the one i have now)

and the gun i recently found that i like.....Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker in 280 Rem. w/ Leupold 3-9X40 scope[:p]
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since my funds would be limited, an 870 Remington. I could hunt all game in the Northeast, and swap on an 18" barrel and I have a great home defense gun.

1276-10650.jpg
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    ak-47
    good all around round, great to accesorize for any occasion. side folding stock lets it be carried down hallways with ease.

god bless mr. kalashnikov i say!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy a S&W 686 6". I would be comfortable with it for home defense as well as hunting whitetail. Followed quickly by a Rem. 870, and an AR.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    I would be "Devastated" to say the least!!! The suggestions of a S&W686 are well apprecciated!!! The 7 shot version!!!! If you ever find the scum who did it, 6 shots aren't enough!!!!(well 6 is probably enough but 7 for good measure!!!!) the 870 is a given!!! BUT I WOULD BE wanting at least one version of a 25-06 for all the leisurely hunting if I could only have but one!!! [;)][:D][;)]GHD
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First would be a replacement for my Ruger Service Six 3" SS
    Next, I would try very hard to replace my Sako AV Deluxe .30-06.
  • Options
    CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    either a 1911, a Hi-power, or a SIG 226.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go out a n duy a .22 lever gun. (probably a Winchester Model 9422 or a Marlin golden 39A)
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    guns guns guns...that's all you EVER talk about.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Same order I aquired what I have now...

1) Mossberg 500 12ga.
    2) FN-FAL
    3) 45 pistol
    4) 22 rifle
    5) 22 pistol

For the 45, I'd get another Witness, the 22 rifle I'd get another 10/22, and for the 22 pistol I'd probably switch from Ruger to a Browning Buckmark.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    m1-a
    glock 17
    kimber .300 wsm
    cz 452 .22
    shorty ar