In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for cannon experts.

badwrenchbadwrench Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
I have an old hydraulic ram (approx pool-ball sized bore[}:)]) and I had the idea of making a cannon from it. It's a pretty short ram (2-feet overall, retracted) and pretty heavy duty. The seals are shot and my boss was going to toss it, but the cylinder is in tip-top shape with no cracks or repairs. It is a one-piece cylinder, not the tie-rod type.

I know hydraulics employ really high pressures and I am wondering if the cylinder would handle a moderate charge (maybe an ounce or so volume) of black powder and some wadding. I want big boom! UNGAWA!

I know of a bowling-ball firing cannon made from an oxygen cylinder, so I figure "why not?".

Would I be flirting with disaster here?

Comments

• Options
    benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds dangerous to me.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try it...you would think it would work...
  • Options
    jc_crazyhorsejc_crazyhorse Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remeber, Just about everything seems like a good idea in the first planning stages. Unfortunatly things go south in a big hurry after that first big bang. Be careful, and stand way back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know black powder does not have the same chamber pressures as smokeless but it might be a good idea to look up some chamber pressures of typical black powder loads and compare with the pressures in your HD ram. I seem to recall black powder is a class A explosive where smokeless powder is a flamable solid. There is a lot of difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you suddenly stop posting can we assume something went wrong?
    [;)]
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Badwrench,
    What "swamp" are you talking about? Suisun?

Merc
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure you keep your face (and other important body parts) clear of the * opening at the one end.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you decide to do this, DO NOT WELD THE BREECH PLUG!
    Tap the cylinder and thread the breech plug. Welded breech plugs cause catastrophic failures. The corrosive firing residue is driven into the pores of the weld, where it rusts the breech from the inside out.
    Bill
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Badwrench was a good guy, I'll miss hearing from him.......

I'm sure his last words were, "Hey y'all, watch this!!!"

RIP Badwrench.

btw, can I have your harley if you don't make it??[:D][:D]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Hey ya'll, watch this!![:D]
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make your first charge 3 times what you will normally shoot to "proof" the cannon. This should let you know it will be safe with your loads. Be sure you do this from a safe position, Tom
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Had a welded breech on my cannon. Well after firing about 50 tines I put it away for 6 mos. The very next time I fired it ,It blew the plug almost as far as the ball. About 3'.
    Even after proofing do be careful. amature(sp) cannons are dangerous. My next project is a bigger AND better one.[}:)][}:)][}:)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not try this!!

Hydraulic cylinders are typically designed for 3,000 PSI or 10,000 PSI maximum working pressure. The one-piece design is typically an agricultural application, which would probably be under 5,000 PSI. The burst strength is normally 2 - 3 times working pressure. Chamber pressures can reach 50,000 PSI, though black powder should be lower, but it is not worth the risk.

If you really need a cannon, spend the $ 500.00 and get a tube designed and proven for the application.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Turn the swamp to glass.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....I'll ditto the threaded breech plug, however, the safest is none at all. My tube started as a solid shaft that I had bored to 2 5/8", leaving about 3" of solid steel at the breech end. I normally shoot beer cans full of cement and 2 oz of black or pyrodex, although, it's been "proofed" with a few cans full of lead and 4oz. That made the whole cannon do back flips!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cannon lock is nice to have. I hate the anticipation as the fuse sizzles and sizzles.

http://tinyurl.com/gtjjq
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't start off with an oz. try 1/8th or 1/4. that'll still send a pool ball flying