In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Coyote hunters let me down

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited December 2004 in General Discussion
You guys just weren't shooting enough of them. They are now in all one hundred NC counties with a fully viable population so are no longer even being counted or monitored. Just too many of them now to bother keeping track. They have not become so densely populated to where they come into towns, but the wildlife biologist expect in the next couple years that pets will start disappearing and trash cans over turning. Guess that 243 will come in handy.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need a GB Varmint hunt! That would give my 25-06 a good work out[:D][:D][:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Outdoor Life this month has an article about them. Says we can kill 75% of the poulation every year with no irreparable damage to the population.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine up here in Maryland lost a calf to the 'yotes. Earlier this summer a 55-60 lb'er was killed on an adjoining farm. My buddy had noting but a 30/30 so I loaned him a 270wsm and some ammo to level the playing field. He's taken some shots but hit nothing yet, but, they aren't coming around as much...maybe all those shots at'em?

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsally
    Outdoor Life this month has an article about them. Says we can kill 75% of the poulation every year with no irreparable damage to the population.

SO, Let's get out there and DO IT!...and those blasted raccoons, too! [8D]
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    We dont have hardly any in southern Illinois. Must be the cougars.

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The state posted a notice that you can shoot them anywhere at anytime during daylight hours and at night if they are doing damage.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    gun_runner what part of S. Illinois are you in? I hear them evertime I come down there. In fact my buddy was deer hunting on my land down there and had 10 come in under him but couldn't get a shot (bow) and then four the next day he got one of them. They are incredibly thick and are the talk of the table at the little home town resturant we go to for breakfast.
    Now I may not be coming down as far south as you are. About 20 min. east of Mt. Vernon.

Why do they make it taste so good and put it in them little bitty cans- Dad

At times, days in the field are more than sport, more than adventure. They are nothing less than a gift to the soul.- John L. Moore Buckmaster magazine
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Bigdaddy,you from NC? Me too. I'm about 20 miles north of Winston-Salem.Where did they post that notice?
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    This may sound strange, but are coyote edible?

Are the pelts good for anything?

What do you do with the cadavers after you shoot them?

Forgive me for this trivia, but I'm just a damn Nartherner and I'm curious.

They're scavengers and they eat garbage, as for the carcass, we use them in the Inland Northwest to attract more of 'em.

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "Keep guns out of the wrong hands."
    Guess what?
    You have the wrong hands.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teach them coyotes how to kill beaver. Half of Southside Virginia is under water 'cause of them cussed creatures.

BTW, BDJ, I thought you was an old coot. Guess I must have been thinking about BDS.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matt45

They're scavengers and they eat garbage, a well skinned, full pelt would bring about $5-$10, as for the carcass, we use them in the Inland Northwest to attract more of 'em.

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Guess what?

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Guess what?
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1

Not edible unless you're of Korean or Viet descent, but pelts in the winter will fetch you enough to buy lots of ammo.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

Never argue with an idiot...They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The notice was in the Fayetville and Raleigh papers a day or two ago.
    I'm not an old coot, I'm a middle aged coot aspiring to be an old codger.
    I've seen a few coyotes around and I've noticed a dramatic drop in the number of rabbits over the last few years. Saw maybe a dozen rabbits last year when ordinarily I'd see hundreds.
    Guess I'll have to learn to call them in and do my part to thin the population.

• Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "This may sound strange, but are coyote edible?

Forgive me for this trivia, but I'm just a damn Nartherner and I'm curious."

edible.....no
    pelts.... yes they used to worth a lot money many years ago could get around a 100.00$/coyote until people started spray painting people in the cities who wore a fur coat
    cadavers.... eagles and hawks take care of them in pretty short order around here

BDJ 243 is my favorite coyote rifle [:D] the 300 win mag is a little stiff if your want the pelts[:D]
  • Options
    s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Here is an interesting Talk Forum Site for those wanting to learn about hunting the "Wiley Coyote" - http://www.coyotegods.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

1-Powder
    2-Patch
    3-Ball
    4-Remove the Rod
    5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an old parka with coyote around the hood. It's good for warming the ears and face.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy hunting them It is very addicting and can be quite the rush when you call one with about 20 feet. Around here they sell for $20-$35 A good forum for reading is www.predatormasters.com

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.