In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Financial Crisis Hits Home

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Business at the pawn shop is great! Everybody is scraping to cover fuel cost and food. Durable goods and antiques can be had for pennies. I've just about quit taking electronics as they are worthless. I don't pawn guns anymore, but I am buying some choice pieces for myself. I just bought a Colt Pocket .25 in 80% for a C note.
Anyone else notice the panic?

Oh well, it can't last much longer.

Is that good, or is that bad?

Comments

• Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Business at the pawn shop is great! Everybody is scraping to cover fuel cost and food. Durable goods and antiques can be had for pennies. I've just about quit taking electronics as they are worthless. I don't pawn guns anymore, but I am buying some choice pieces for myself. I just bought a Colt Pocket .25 in 80% for a C note.

Seems a bit unethical to me. Operating under the umbrella of a pawn shop, buying a gun for less than half of what it is worth, then putting the gun in your pocket. I understand you probably own the joint and used your own money to purchase it but you were probably putting that person in an awkward situation by being in that pawn shop. They probably wouldn't have taken that price from anyone else.

Maybe I'm way off base, but that's my thoughts
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree Rogue.. 100 % .. Its the American way though.. Although if P3 asked the guy what he would take for it and he said $100 bucks then Im cool with that ..100%
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Paying a good friend's widow $100 for the pistol because her husband is dead and she does not know any better is unethical. Paying a guy who walks into a pawn shop looking to sell that same $100 is just a business transaction...Period.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    Paying a good friend's widow $100 for the pistol because her husband is dead and she does not know any better is unethical. Paying a guy who walks into a pawn shop looking to sell that same $100 is just a business transaction...Period.

+++
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob

Seems a bit unethical to me. Operating under the umbrella of a pawn shop, buying a gun for less than half of what it is worth, then putting the gun in your pocket. I understand you probably own the joint and used your own money to purchase it but you were probably putting that person in an awkward situation by being in that pawn shop. They probably wouldn't have taken that price from anyone else.

that is how pawn shops work
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1

Rob,
    Usually pawn shops are the last place people bring good stuff. If a friend or family member had the dough, THEY would have bought it. To be perfectly honest, it makes people happy as hell to know I'm buying it for myself. They hate to think I could turn around and make money off of them, a quirk of human nature.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Rob,
    Usually pawn shops are the last place people bring good stuff. If a friend or family member had the dough, THEY would have bought it. To be perfectly honest, it makes people happy as hell to know I'm buying it for myself. They hate to think I could turn around and make money off of them, a quirk of human nature.

No problem man. It just struck me funny when I read it. I have a few things on my mind tonight. Didn't mean to insinuate you were unethical and I apologize.