In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Million Mogadishus

RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
edited March 2003 in General Discussion
Columbia teacher calls for `a million Mogadishus;' referring to 1993 ambush of U.S. servicemen
By Associated Press, 3/28/2003 17:15

NEW YORK (AP) A Columbia University professor told an anti-war gathering that he would like to see ''a million Mogadishus'' referring to the 1993 ambush in Somalia that killed 18 American servicemen.

At Wednesday night's ''teach-in'' on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, ''The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military.'' And he asserted that Americans who call themselves ''patriots'' are white supremacists.

De Genova's comments about defeating the United States in Iraq were cheered by the crowd of 3,000, Newsday reported. But his mention of the Somali ambush ''I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus'' was largely met with silence.

A call Friday to De Genova, 35, an assistant professor of anthropology, was answered with a recording that said his voice mailbox was full.

The university said in a statement that De Genova ''was speaking as an individual at a teach-in. He was exercising his right to free speech. His statement does not in any way represent the views of Columbia University.''

History professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the teach-in and spoke after De Genova, said Friday, ''I disagreed strongly and I said so. If I had known what he was going to say I would have been reluctant to have him speak.''

He said De Genova was a last-minute invitee, was just one of about 25 speakers and ''did not represent the general tone of the event, which was highly educational.''

lobster-clear.gifClose to God, far away from everyone else.
My wife...yes. My dog...maybe. My gun...NEVER!
greeting

Comments

• Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Disgraceful, I hope so much pressure is brought on the school that they are forced to fire this a-hole.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what approx. $40K annual tuition buys you at an Ivy League school...

lobster-clear.gifClose to God, far away from everyone else.
    My wife...yes. My dog...maybe. My gun...NEVER!
    greeting
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Can you say Death Threats?

"If your gonna be stupid, go find a democrat."
  • Options
    loruslorus Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    Can you say Death Threats?

"If your gonna be stupid, go find a democrat."

NY Post this morning actually wrote that the university did receive some threats.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, it's one thing to disagree with the war, but the soldiers over there have no choice in the matter. How can someone wish them death??? That is the most depressing thing I have heard in a loong time. He should be tarred and feathered.