In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swollen Lug Nuts

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited December 2018 in General Discussion
Have you heard about this?? You might want to google it and check your ride.

Comments

• Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOUNDS VERY PAINFUL!!!!

BUT THE REAL STORY HERE...

Swollen lug nuts is in fact a common problem. It?s not only common with Toyota?s, but also with Ford, Chrysler, Jeep, and Dodge. It comes from the way that they make the lug nuts. Instead of making me whole lug nut one piece of metal they make the lug nut and then put a metal beauty cover over the top of the thick metal lug nut so that they look more desirable and cleaner on the car.

The issue of the swelling comes from corrosion and moisture getting trapped underneath this cover in between the cover and the metal lug nut itself. Over time it grows with rust and more corrosion and actually spread out the lug nut?s casting. In this case, the normal impact socket used by the technicians to remove the wheels don?t fit anymore.

This is a very common issue with any manufacturer that produces these style of lug nuts. The only remedy for this is to replace the lug nuts. I hope that this information had been helpful. If you?d like help with getting your lug nuts fixed, have them diagnosed by a certified mechanic who can replace or adjust your lug nuts accordingly.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. Been an issue for the last twenty years or so. Just replace the junk two piece with the chrome cap with one piece ones and you are fine.
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gotten a nut or two in my day! [:D]
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Works at Charlotte Motor Speedway

11655893383-e43d03441a-z.jpg
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    edited November -1
    ?...if you?d like help with getting your lug nuts fixed, have them diagnosed by a certified mechanic who can replace or adjust your lug nuts accordingly.?

I can take care of my own nuts, thank you.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had swollen lug nuts several years ago shortly after marryinh a p p younger woman, dont remember any protective covers being involved though.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian
    i had swollen lug nuts several years ago shortly after marryinh a p p younger woman, dont remember any protective covers being involved though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian

Sounds like serious corrosion.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    edited November -1
    ?...if you?d like help with getting your lug nuts fixed, have them diagnosed by a certified mechanic who can replace or adjust your lug nuts accordingly.?

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully I'll have my mechanic inspect my lug nights after the kids are in bed.[;)][}:)]
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got lug bolts so I'm good. Oh wait....those are junk from the factory too.....joke's on me! [:0][:D]

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere

She'll be glad to know that.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have already replaced all 24 of my nuts.

I have a lot of nuts, but not as many as Don.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I couldn't change my flat because the lug wrench wouldn't fit, I complained to dealer and they asked me if I wanted new ones installed while changing my tires, I politely said no and I bought a special socket for my breaker bar to remove them.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a socket set and breaker bar in my Chrysler van. I put the socket on the nut and beat it with a hammer to get it on the two piece nuts, then drive the nut out of the socket for the next one.

Yes moister gets in between the outer sleeve of the nut and swells it. The fix is to throw them things away as soon as you know they are on your vehicle . Get a decent set of one piece nuts.

Interesting nut story for me is an old fellow who was in Japan just after the war. He got radiated . He lived in an old school bus just outside town. Was a drunk and I was with a friend who needed something from him so was out to his bus. He was well lubricated and asked whether we wanted to see his balls. Despite our answer he dropped his pants to expose a set that hung down to his knees.

The lesson to be learned was to not be in a hurry to go see Nagasaki.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to remove the outer shell on mine. Then you can use a smaller socket.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just replace the POS factory nuts with stainless steel after market parts.
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    Sounds very painful[:D]
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    [;)][;)][:D]quote:Originally posted by jimdeere

• Options
    TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kannoneer
    I was able to remove the outer shell on mine. Then you can use a smaller socket.

+1 [:D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TMI [:D][:D]

quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    I couldn't change my flat because the lug wrench wouldn't fit, I complained to dealer and they asked me if I wanted new ones installed while changing my tires, I politely said no and I bought a special socket for my breaker bar to remove them.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple of weeks ago I noticed one on the Exploder that was sticking out. I thought the lug nut was coming loose but when I pushed it, it went back to where it belonged. Last time I checked it was still where it was supposed to be.