In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model trains

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited December 2015 in General Discussion
Anybody into them. If You are check this site out. But Hid your wallet 1st.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/

I get a weekly news letter from them of new arrivals.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have beo scale googling model trains since I figureed I just got a job working for Metra. Any of you build these things that can explain the difference between ho scale and o scale? I found a Metra engine in ho but I have seen the lionel is in o scale. can you run both on the sae track and does it look ok having 2 different size trains?
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    [8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like an right be for santa
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Larry's father used to own a hardware store. He ordered all of the grand kids a Lionel steam train set that has a couple case knives with it. I think there are 9 cars total with each of the sets. He gave them out this year. He has had them set aside since 1999 (I think that is the year he bought them.) Just for giggles we looked them up and they are worth a FORTUNE.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donna's father, had over 500,000 dollars, tied up in trains. I personally never saw the excitement in them, but he made a small fortune when he sold them. He gave our son a set from the late 1800's and one set from 1906. It has all the cars and engine. The one crane he gave our son had an old price tag on the bottom of it. 1,800 dollars.[:0] Needless to say, they were put away for safe care by Donna. Her father had a train city that covered the whole basement, went through his crawl space and out into his garage. It broke into sections and the train platform in the garage, lifted to the ceiling, to put the cars back in. Everything was on a pulley system he made. I remember it took him about eight years to built the damn thing. He sold it about ten years ago at a train show in PA. It took him over a year to sell everything off and dismantle the city. Actually, it was very sad to see it go. Us brother in laws had a blast running them. About the only good memory I have of my father in law. Oakie
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy from Model Train Stuff a lot. As a matter of fact I am waiting on an order from them right now. Some of the best model railroad prices on the interweb.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my oldest son always liked trains,
    I talked him into joining a local club about 15 or 16 years ago , that have one of the old train depots rented out , as there club house
    they had a huge layout , but the club slowly faded away ( died off or moved away ) only a few left and they took out the old layout and now the remaining members , focus on traveling the country , for photo ops now on the real trains.
    I hated to see the old model train layout go countless hours and love of the hobby went into it . but I guess times change [:(]
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a attic full of them. When your wife brings a birthday present home like this, you know two things. 1. You are a trian nut. 2. Your wife is a keeper!
    lionel.jpg
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Built several small layouts over the years and models out the Yo-Ho(Funny, that's the gauge), but didn't have the time---now>time<no cash---Great Hobby, hope to get started again.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have an N gauge Christmas train and a Smokey Bear N Gauge, and a third made up of cars from all the train lines we have lived near, Katy, BN&SF, Wabash etc. Have not built a layout yet, just a circle under the Christmas tree. Cats like it.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool site, I love the smalls.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    As a kid,on the farm,Pop had a circle around the tree with a few buildings,crossings etc.
    He would set up a larger layout in the basement. I have no idea where all that stuff wound-up.
    When we moved from the farm to the new house,I never saw them again...[:(]
    The basement trains were track about 3" between rails.The ones around the tree maybe 1-1/4"?
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a close friend that collected only pre 1950's Lionels. Traveled all over the U.S. to buy and trade. Bought a gold colored (??) locomotive with tender car for $4,000 many years ago. Just never got it but, to each their own I guess[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I picked this up so I would have a layout.

TFT-N-1005.jpg

N scale, it has other layouts you can add. Going to go for the early Diesel/lat Steam era. So I can run both. That link I posted had a steam locomotive I need, Trying to talk myself into it since I bought that Kimber my spending funds are now limited. But I do have a Profit sharing check coming soon. Hope it gets here before they run out of them.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as i kid i had a blue streamlined train...as best as i can remember it and looked online today i think it was an American Flyer #350 B&O 4-6-2 ...it had a headlight and i think it used a smoke pellet ???? anyone know about the smoke???...my idiot former brother took it apart and couldn't get it back together as best i remember....
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few of my cars still down in the basement. (Some are even in the original Box Kasey...!) Most of my original track, maybe an engine or 3. One of the hobbie shops near the office has a KILLER setup. at least 20' x 40' multi level with mountains and tunnels. It used to have a flowing river, but I think that proved to be problematic.

I always kept mine hoping for boys. My girls did not seem to be interested in trains however..... Hopefully in ten years or so I can share them with a grandson or 2.... [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Grumpygy, need a link for that layout, looks like a lot less work than I expected!!! [:D][:p]
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    as i kid i had a blue streamlined train...as best as i can remember it and looked online today i think it was an American Flyer #350 B&O 4-6-2 ...it had a headlight and i think it used a smoke pellet ???? anyone know about the smoke???...my idiot former brother took it apart and couldn't get it back together as best i remember....

The smoke on mine as I recall was from a drop of mineral oil into the stack and onto a little heater. ONLY a drop. Ask my buddy Mike what happens if you put more in...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Hey Grumpygy, need a link for that layout, looks like a lot less work than I expected!!! [:D][:p]

You still have to lay the track and put on what buildings you want but the basic layout is there.

http://www.terrainfortrains.com/

But think I got mine on fleaebay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sold all the HO Military train stuff I had for $600. I took a loss but it freed up some valuable space.