In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Dog Update

armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
My dog (Juneau) is doing much better. The good news is there will be no shock collar the bad news is I will only have her until this Friday.
Seems that a couple of weeks ago, when we were having all the problems with her my wife had asked some one at work if he was interested in the dog. The reply from this person was kind of delayed. He is taking the dog up to Door county to become part of a sled dog team. I am very sad as I became quite attached to this dog and I will miss our daily walks.
But maybe its for the better as she still has some issues that needs to be addressed.

[img][/img]MVC-DOG3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    She needs to PULL Curt....It's in her blood.
    A dog like that needs 25-40 miles of running per day,to act right...
    She'll be in heaven tugging a sled man...
    Keep me/us posted,on how well she takes to mushing...Beautiful dog, i must add....
    BTW: U have made the ONLY logical decision man....
    Once finish trained,Juneau can pull U around on skis.It's way easier on her than the sled and it will make her bond to U....

Unless U have totally given up ownership.
    In that case,maybe U can ride the sled her team/pack pulls sometimes...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If this deal would not have panned out we would have kept her but it was made (offered) when the dog was at her worst. She has made great strides since then but your right she's probably better off up north but I just hate to admit it. I still hope to see her again some day as at least we know the person she is going to be with.
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Siberian Husky's aren't for everyone. They are hard headed, stubborn, and very independent thinkers. They are loyal, but you have to earn it. You may have given up too soon on you dog. Trust me, once you get everything worked out, you'll love that dog till the day she dies, and she will you.

Yes, they need a little room to run, but they do make good house dogs if you don't mind the hair issued. These 4 are in our house most of the time. The guy with the red eyes is 12 months old. He is just starting to be a good dog. I have lot's of tore up woodwork from him, but it can be fixed.

I might add in the photo, the crew is checking out the litter of infidels (kittens) in the basement. None of them will dare go down the stairs, they know the basement is off limits!

Think it over real good and maybe take another week or two, you won't regret it.

thePack.jpg
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]100_1110.jpg

I'd dispute the 25-40 miles of running a day. My little girl does fine with thirty miles a weekend. But we spend a lot of time socializing her. And she now has a playmate, that keeps her exercised.

I agree that they're hard-headed and independent. A dog sled racer once told me that Siberian owners have a "lowered expectation of the dog-owner dynamic". it's true.

By the way, if you want to take a Siberian for a walk, pull up, don't pull back. If they feel like they're pulling a load, they want to go, man, GO!

By the way, guns-n-painthorses, those are some spectacular beasts.

Armalite, she's a beautiful animal. Patience and a firm hand is an absolute necessity with any Husky.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    [img][/img]100_1110.jpg

I'd dispute the 25-40 miles of running a day. My little girl does fine with thirty miles a weekend. But we spend a lot of time socializing her. And she now has a playmate, that keeps her exercised.

I agree that they're hard-headed and independent. A dog sled racer once told me that Siberian owners have a "lowered expectation of the dog-owner dynamic". it's true.

By the way, if you want to take a Siberian for a walk, pull up, don't pull back. If they feel like they're pulling a load, they want to go, man, GO!

By the way, guns-n-painthorses, those are some spectacular beasts.

Armalite, she's a beautiful animal. Patience and a firm hand is an absolute necessity with any Husky.

Thank you, not too bad there either!

got guns?
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't/couldn't let a friend go so easily.
    Loyalty works both ways.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I really am not ready to give up on her but my wife also lives in the house and she is having trouble coping with the dog. I have to give her credit that she lasted as long as she did. My wife had made the offer with my reluctant okay. I thought the deal was dead in the water when the sled dog owner came out of no where and said he'd take the dog. I'm not thrilled about this recent development but a deal is a deal. I guess I'll find another one in the near future.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMG_00248.JPG

IMG_02845.JPG

Our Husky mix is WIDE OPEN, she tears up everything if she isn't entertained, but she is a sweet heart too
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I still have hope that this guy may change his mind when he comes over and the dog growls at him, well at least I hope.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1

Sideways works just as well and is sometimes easier. It throws them off balance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    I'm not thrilled about this recent development but a deal is a deal. I guess I'll find another one in the near future.

I'm sorry that this didn't work out for you, but as you pointed out, you're not the only one who has to deal with the dog.
    Pragmatic doesn't necessarily mean painless.
    If your wife isn't averse to dogs in general, try another breed. But if you're thinking of getting a Lab, do your research. Our Lab pup is twice as energetic, stubborn and destructive as the Siberian ever was. They're a real handful until they mature. At about three years old, I'm told.

sigh
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

Sideways works just as well and is sometimes easier. It throws them off balance.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    IMG_00248.JPG

IMG_02845.JPG

Our Husky mix is WIDE OPEN, she tears up everything if she isn't entertained, but she is a sweet heart too

I think I have your dog's evil twin!

Say hello to Fireball! (and Bella!)

bellafireball.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually the dog walks pretty decent and she tends to pull at the beginning of the walk stopping at every tree, light pole and fire hydrant. At about the half way point she slows down a bit tends to stay on the side walk more and hardly pulls at all.

As far as the wife goes she does like dogs but I think she'd rather have a tidy house. She recently bought new leather chairs and she didn't appreciate the dog chewing off a corner of our new kitchen table.
    The odor of the dog peeing and crapping in the house didn't help much either.

When looking for a dog I (we) have a tendency to get one a year or so old as by then their house broken and they are starting to settle down a little.

I was told this dog was house broken and apparently it wasn't. I was unaware of the jumping and nipping as well. Like I said the dog has improved quite a bit since we first got it and it does kinda get a long with the cat. When I came home from work today the dog was sunning itself on the kitchen table.

[img][/img]MVC-DOGCAT.jpg
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All dogs have some kind of "issue"....but they are worth putting up with if you handle the major things. Jack used to jump up on us...and every once in a while he will rare up, but he hovers in front of you like he knows NOT to put his paws on you. He NEVER EVER goes to the bathroom in the house, but sheds like he has the hair of 7 dogs!!! My Purdy is a Cocker Spaniel and she is about as perfect as one can be...but getting older so she likes to go potty on the porch rather than go down the stairs. Since she is a cocker she has problems with her ears and if we don't doctor them every few days they itch and smell. (ewwww) Now Huggy Bear is the Pimp in our house. He is pretty and he KNOWS IT. He gets an urge to mark things all of the time....which is rediculous because the other male in the house outweighs him by 100 lbs! Huggy just wants everyone to know HE is the man! He is another shedder...not anywhere near as bad as Jack...nothing is as bad as Jack!

I complain....but I really don't know what I would do without my three "babies."
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    swampgutswampgut Member Posts: 5,555
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan

I don't know about Huskies per se but my German Pinschers pull like hell if I use a collar.

I found a really good harness that worked wonders.

They don't suffocate themselves pulling against the collar or rupture blood vessels in their eyes when they see a squirrel or a cat on walks now.

I don't know why but they don't pull as hard with this harness and it has more than one use. You can pick them up with the handle if necessary and you can use the loop on the back for ski-joring or bike-joring.

Ruffwear make excellent, excellent products.

I own Trak Jackets, winter coats and harnesses from Ruffwear and the quality and design simply can't be beaten by anybody.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Web-Master-Harness?sc=2&category=1131

http://www.ruffwear.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    All dogs have some kind of "issue"....but they are worth putting up with if you handle the major things. Jack used to jump up on us...and every once in a while he will rare up, but he hovers in front of you like he knows NOT to put his paws on you. He NEVER EVER goes to the bathroom in the house, but sheds like he has the hair of 7 dogs!!! My Purdy is a Cocker Spaniel and she is about as perfect as one can be...but getting older so she likes to go potty on the porch rather than go down the stairs. Since she is a cocker she has problems with her ears and if we don't doctor them every few days they itch and smell. (ewwww) Now Huggy Bear is the Pimp in our house. He is pretty and he KNOWS IT. He gets an urge to mark things all of the time....which is rediculous because the other male in the house outweighs him by 100 lbs! Huggy just wants everyone to know HE is the man! He is another shedder...not anywhere near as bad as Jack...nothing is as bad as Jack!

I complain....but I really don't know what I would do without my three "babies."

I looked for seven years before I decided on a breed of dog for reasons just like those you mentioned.

I knew I wanted a dog but I wanted the "right" dog for me.

I wanted a dog who could live in an apartment(where I lived at the time), didn't shed and didn't coat me with gooey slobber.

I also respect the fact that they are independent, intelligent and fearless.

Alas! The German Pinscher...

Of course, like all creatures who have traits you admire they will usually be the traits that try you the most.

It sounds like Huskies are dogs like that only bigger and hairier.

A friend told me a story about a Husky he had as a teenager.

He and his friends would ride horseback with the Husky running along. One day the neighbor's Chow Chow decided to chase and nip at the horses carrying my friend and his buddies.

He said the Husky ripped out the Chow's throat in one swift movement.

Problem solved....
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guns-n-painthorses
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    IMG_00248.JPG

IMG_02845.JPG

I think I have your dog's evil twin!

Say hello to Fireball! (and Bella!)

bellafireball.jpg

HAHA can an evil twin have another evil twin??? The one on the right is an adorable dog!!
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    You guys have some beautiful dogs. I had a dog when I was younger at home, but I couldnt dedicate the time or the space for a dog now, so I got a younger cat from the Animal Shelter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    HAHA can an evil twin have another evil twin??? The one on the right is an adorable dog!!

I guess they can, we have the proof!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    IMG_02845.JPG

This pic cracks me up! Looks like the white dog is fixin' to * slap the black dog!!!![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So did you give you dog away?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:guns-n-painthorses
    Advanced Member

4335 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 : 9:19:27 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    So did you give you dog away?

YES, She left me Friday night to go up north to become a sled dog.
    I am not a happy camper right now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Actually the dog walks pretty decent and she tends to pull at the beginning of the walk stopping at every tree, light pole and fire hydrant. At about the half way point she slows down a bit tends to stay on the side walk more and hardly pulls at all.

As far as the wife goes she does like dogs but I think she'd rather have a tidy house. She recently bought new leather chairs and she didn't appreciate the dog chewing off a corner of our new kitchen table.

When looking for a dog I (we) have a tendency to get one a year or so old as by then their house broken and they are starting to settle down a little.

I was told this dog was house broken and apparently it wasn't. I was unaware of the jumping and nipping as well. Like I said the dog has improved quite a bit since we first got it and it does kinda get a long with the cat. When I came home from work today the dog was sunning itself on the kitchen table.

There's your problem right there!

That is a very incorrect statement about dogs (unless they have been in rigorous professional training for a year, and even this isn't recommended unless you're raising a world class hunting dog). With a good trainer (you), a person can house break a dog in just a few days. We had Shelby house broken almost 100% in less than a week (i.e. before 9 weeks).

The first year is the most formative period of a dog's life. If they're not around you during that first year they don't understand your expectations. The first year of a dogs life is critical for you and your dog's bond. Someone else has been training (or not) your dog during it's most formative period.

Seriously, if you're contemplating getting another dog I would re-think this 'get the dog at 1 year or older' notion. You're literally begging for trouble!!

Honest...and I raise and train dogs.

While I am not a dog trainer, I would say Idisagree with the statement that getting a dog a year or older will be a problem as in bonding. Fireball, our rescue dog is about three years old, we have had her a year. She would die protecting me or any member of our family. She is 100% housebroke and has never caused any problems. We were the only thing that stood between her and the goodbye needle. I am very lucky to have her as a friend. (her photo is above).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We've had 2 previous dogs over the last 14 years. The first one Halen was acquired from the Humane Society at about a year old. She was a little rambunctious for a short time. She did chew up the carpeting in the spare bedroom and that was pretty much it. We tried to keep her in a crate for 4 days but each day when we came home she some how got out. This was my daughters dog that she just had to have and my wife ended up being the one who took care of her. The other dog was a male Siberian Husky named Saber. This was the neighbors dog that was left outside roughly 14 hours a day. He was left outside from 7am-6pm. The neighbor then came home and fed him and then left him outside until 10pm.
    When I came home from work I went straight to him and I bonded with him from the other side of the fence. I told my wife some day that dog would be mine. She moved away and I took the dog. I had him for 3 years before I had to but him down on Christmas Eve of 2007. This is the only picture of him and me and I cut myself out of this picture because I looked like a dork. I cried for a week after putting him down, it was the worst Christmas I ever had.

[img][/img]MVC-SABER1F.jpg

I'm to pissed off to get another dog right now. The dog just had to many problems that needed to be worked out by a professional. The dog like I said had made good strides but my wife and daughter were afraid of her and didn't like the fact that it liked to nip (playfully) and it growled at every one that came into the house.
    Believe me I would have given the dog more time but I was out voted 2-1. The person that has her now has 7 other Huskies, so maybe she's better off. Every one else tells me she's better off, but in my mind she's not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

There's your problem right there!

That is a very incorrect statement about dogs (unless they have been in rigorous professional training for a year, and even this isn't recommended unless you're raising a world class hunting dog). With a good trainer (you), a person can house break a dog in just a few days. We had Shelby house broken almost 100% in less than a week (i.e. before 9 weeks).

The first year is the most formative period of a dog's life. If they're not around you during that first year they don't understand your expectations. The first year of a dogs life is critical for you and your dog's bond. Someone else has been training (or not) your dog during it's most formative period.

Seriously, if you're contemplating getting another dog I would re-think this 'get the dog at 1 year or older' notion. You're literally begging for trouble!!

Honest...and I raise and train dogs.

I second what you say somewhat.

I actually read that the most intense bonding between man and dog occurs between two and four months of age.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No dog is so messed up that he can't be a good dog.

It all comes down to whether an owner actually values the dog's life.

Some talk the game but they get one and it just becomes "too much trouble."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:I second what you say somewhat.

I actually read that the most intense bonding between man and dog occurs between two and four months of age.

That maybe so, but in my case the first Husky I had didn't bond with its owner any way near as much as it did with me. I paid more attention to him and vice versa then it's first owner ever did. If he was still here he'd tell you that himself.

quote:swampgut Posted - 09/06/2010 : 02:11:53 AM No dog is so messed up that he can't be a good dog.

It all comes down to whether an owner actually values the dog's life.

Some talk the game but they get one and it just becomes "too much trouble."

I agree but you have to remember that I live in a house with my wife and my daughter. (who should have been gone by now) Had it been up to me the dog would still be here, but it was not my decision alone. Like I said my wife contacted the new owner a week after I got it at the height of it's problems and since then was making great strides.
    You guys don't have to live with my wife.