In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Annoyed at Wiper Blades

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
Something happened in the last 5 years or so. Windshield wipers now leave a line deposit on the glass at the end of the swipe.

It has to be scrubbed off after each use.

( thanks for so many comments. the line happens even for new blades, mine are 6 weeks old. )

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should replace them more often than every 5 years[:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    My wiper still works pretty well but he gets a bit testy in the winter. [:D]

pat.jpg
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find that no matter how often I change them they don't seem as effective as they used to be.

Maybe I should just take them off.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wiper blades are junk now, like everything else. [:(] The cheap ones are no better than the expensive ones. None of them last more than 6-8 months here in the desert. Buy them off amazon or ebay, and save 50%.

Merc
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Try finding them for a jeep. None of the stores have them have to order them online.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got so tired of the usual blades I bought the most expensive Michelin brand I could find.
    Wipes very good. Squeaks a lot. I hate them.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Use rain X windshield wiper fluid they have both summer and all season for below freezing any thing over 30MPH you can turn wipers off [^]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. Rain-X blades and Rain-X fluid - trebly good if you treat with Rain-X first!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guy at the parts store told me to buy the cheap one since they last about as long as the expensive ones. They just don't last like they use to[V][xx(]
  • 1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's what I use. Replaced the old ones in February of 2009. That's nearly 6 years ago! Maybe I should consider a new set since they're only guaranteed for Five years! They cost me $65 back then.

http://www.silblade.com/
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Use rain X windshield wiper fluid they have both summer and all season for below freezing any thing over 30MPH you can turn wipers off [^]

We had to drain all the rain x wiper fluid out of our new car. It clogged the sensor up on the reservoir and it would not work. It was orange in color. Took it back to the dealership and the mechanic said that you cannot use it in certain new cars.[}:)] I use it in all my other vehicles and all the work trucks with no problem. Donna and I swear by Rain x. As for wiper blades, They all suck. I have the same problem as the op. Cannot find any that last or work right. Oakie
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normally I change my own wiper blades with good quality ones. But last week my wife went to Jiffy Lube because she needed new wipers in a hurry, and they charged her $60.00!!! Unbelievable. [:(!]
  • boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's getting impossible to find the wiper refills. They want to sell you a whole new arm/blade.[:(!]

As to The original topic dilemma, I bought some blades not too long ago that came with a alcohol wipe with instructions to wipe the blade down before installing. I believe it wiped off the silicone (or whatever) that allows the rubber to pop up from the mold. I've also bought others that did not have this wipe.

Does it matter?????
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter

Yup...
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Squirt some alcohol on a rag or paper towel and wipe the blades down. a bit of black degraded rubber will come off.
    Squirt a few shots of green Palmolive dishwashing detergent in the windwasher tank. That will cut road grease instead of chasing it around.
    I only use plain water above freezing with a little Palmolive.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been getting the Goodyear blades at Costco. They fit my vehicles well and last at least a year.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Get rid of them altogether and just use RAIN-X!!!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    I find that no matter how often I change them they don't seem as effective as they used to be.

Maybe I should just take them off.

Change the wiper arms, springs weak [^]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all are chinese junk now...and is hard to find a economical refill blade...have to buy the whole arm at about 4X the price....no import inspection or quality control for a most favored nation crap
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not all are Chicom.
    The Goodyear blades Costco sells are MADE IN THE USA.

And, a line on your windshield may just be concentrated crap that's in the air.

Neal
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wiper blades should be changed at least twice a year. I read that some where but don't remember where. I agree with the rain x theory though.