In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Farmer's are.................

interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
outstanding in their field.[:D]

"If your gonna be stupid, go find a democrat."

Comments

• Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    The reason we have all those old dilapadated barns around to sell to the rich people for paneling and beams!!![:D]

pa.gif

In God We Trust
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    ...real tough. THEY sew their wild oats with a plow!
  • Options
    spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    optimists.
    Hunters are opportunists. Game, gun, opportunity.[:D]

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .....Early to bed, Early to rise, Pray like hell and fertilize. I remember hearing my dad say that 100's of times. He also liked to tell people that the best way to make a small fortune in the farming business was to start with a big fortune. I tried farming for a while and quit before I lost everything.

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    In Debt. But badly needed.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everybody's bread and butter.

Close to God, far away from everyone else.
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robin you kinda hit the nail on the head except nowadays it early to rise and late to bed have spent more time than i can count planting harvesting and ect until the wee hrs of the morning and the same for calving out over 400 hd of cows in the early spring been through many spring storms calving cattle out that have lasted up to 4 days or so. can say that the longest i have went with out very much sleep is 4 days may be an hr or so here and there.. the last bad storm i went through almost made me not want to be a cowboy any more [:)] pretty bad when checking cows all nite on a horse and you can stay awake long enough to check and fall asleep on a horse "if there where no problems with the cows" and wake up when to horse is standing at the barn doors wanting to be let back in.
    Its such a rewarding life style that it is worth every minute of it such as when you bring a new born calve back from death and to see it a day or so later running and bucking around it mother and nursing so hard that it just about lifts the cows rear end off the ground[:)]
    or watching new little plants coming out of the ground and turning in to a crop that feeds the world.
    "nope would'nt give it up for nothing...i am more than happy to help feed the world" by the way i am the only person in my grade that is in farming and i was in a class of 30 or so kids and only 6 of them where town kids the rest where also farm kids that went on to do something besides farming and ranching!
    doc
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ... weather worriers...

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    WELL SAID COWDOC!!!!!!! I could live to be 150 and that wonder of the little seeds planted in the spring turning into the crop in the fall would never cease to amaze me!! I will also never cease to be amazed at pulling the trigger on a 25-06 or a 22-250 or any other caliber yall prefer and knowing within an inch or so of where the bullet will strike 500 yards downrange!! But that's manmade!! The crops are Godgiven and all we can do is to use the knowledge and practices that HE has provided us with to try to produce the crops!! GHD
  • Options
    ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standing joke with the farmers near me is "If I win that powerball lottery,I'll keep farming til it's gone"

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • Options
    Mas FutbolMas Futbol Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    America's Backbone!

"Anyone with a lick of sense knows that you can't make good barbeque and comply with the health code." John Edgerton
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not broke but badly bent.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • Options
    crjcrj Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    farming is my way of life,my kids wish to carry it on but i hope they have other trades to support them. if any of you think farmers make lots of money ,you are wrong.. take a million bucks ,buy a farm with stock and equipment,don t expect any help cause you cant pay what a town job can... then with only the help of your family gamble and see how much you can make on 2.50 corn and 11.00 per hundred on milk. even raise some hogs, theres a good way to make money, if you can get the hogs and the feed free. beef is also good ,,,,,,,,,,,,,on the grill, dont try and makea living on it, seems a lot of it comes from south america. every time i get ready to sell out, i take a drive into the city ,baltimores a half hour drive. away, trash living in trash,which produces the same. wish i could live long enough to see food prices like in japan. when all the farms are gone,third world nations will own us due to a bad habit that is hard to shake, eating! support NORTH AMERICAN farmers,we been doing a good job for years and we dont know why we are being weeded out. also a tip for asking for hunting and fishing permission.... dont ask me the day befor the deer season opens, ask me in the summer when you see i am short handed and tring to get hay baled,and think real hard as to what you can do to help me,while im thinking of why i need to let you hunt.

ray johns
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    ...pretty special people! A breed of their own.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crj- You said it pretty good. I farm 373 acres ,but couldn't make it without the extra public job also. I do 4 times the work on the farm as I do on the public job an get about 1/4 the pay when all my expenses are met on the farm. I have right now approximately 175 head of cattle and the last survey I saw cattle farmers get about 17% out of what the finish product brings. (I can tell you from experiences that the farmers has the toughes job by far in this process)
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    interstatepawnllc:
    quote:Farmer's are.................
    ..friends of mine. They are also the backbone of our community. When the farmer has a bad year (or two), we all feel the pinch.,,,sod

"Hous my speling ant gramer?"
  • Options
    crjcrj Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks jltrent. about 25 yrs ago i saw a tv show, that was a local station from landcaster pa , in where a group of house wives where complaning about the raise in the cost of food.[this was about the time of the second gas shortage, where it went from .50 to a 100. a gal] the one with the biggest mouth said her husband was a production worker in a plant that made plastic bags, and he only made 16000.oo ayear and it was hard to buy food. the next week the show had farmers on it . one had a son who was an economy major at penn state. his teacher and some students got together some data that showed that by the plastic factory production rate and the workers pay he made one half a penny of the total price of the loave of bread that went into the bag when sold. the farmer got 1/8th of a cent of the sale for his wheat that went into the bread.

ray johns