In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swiss don't need no stinkin gun control

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Here are a couple of quotes from a very interesting article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1566715.stm

Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.
The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols

Despite the lack of rigid gun laws, firearms are strictly connected to a sense of collective responsibility.

From an early age Swiss men and women associate weaponry with being called to defend their country.

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives.

Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home."

Now why didn't/don't we do something like this. bedside's the fact we would get our * handed to us every time we picked a fight, but that might stop the govment from picking fights.[B)] It would do us younger guys some good to serve the country. I never did, don't know why? pops did four yrs during Vietnam.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Odawgp
    "Instead of a standing, full-time army, the country requires every man to undergo some form of military training for a few days or weeks a year throughout most of their lives.

Between the ages of 21 and 32 men serve as frontline troops. They are given an M-57 assault rifle and 24 rounds of ammunition which they are required to keep at home."

Now why didn't/don't we do something like this. bedside's the fact we would get our * handed to us every time we picked a fight, but that might stop the govment from picking fights.[B)] It would do us younger guys some good to serve the country. I never did, don't know why? pops did four yrs during Vietnam.

When I was in, we weren't even allowed to keep our M-16s in the barracks with us. We had to check them in and out of the armory every time we needed them. And God help you if you were found with live ammo on your person. So if the military doesn't even do it, there is no way the rest of the country would be allowed to do it.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:And God help you if you were found with live ammo on your person.

During a road march when I was in basic I found a empty 7.62X51 case, so knowing how the Army is with policing brass I picked it up and returned it to my Drill Instructor. He blew his lid and dropped the whole platoon as a lesson that you should never pick up dangerous ordinance. The funny thing was that we were on our way to the grenade range for a little live fire practice.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a misprint in the article.
    It should read 240 rounds of ammo which is a battle pack, not 24 rounds.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I was going to say 24 rounds is a warm up
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Swiss are a very different people than what we have here. The Swiss put their country and their way of life ahead of everything, while we here in America have a ME FIRST attitude. During my travels outside the country, I have encountered alot of negative attitudes about American people. We are viewed as fat, lazy, big gulp drinking, big mac eating violent neanderthals.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Some of the ultra Liberal Swiss are trying to get the gun laws changed so they are not permitted to take their military (altered so not full auto functioning) and some ammo home.

At last read, appeared to have a fair chance of happening. [:(]

Yes, that article is old. The laws have been changed since then, it is not the same anymore.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.