In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Where are all the 600 yard ranges?

Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
A quick search shows that there are only three 600 (+) ranges in Wisconsin. Sure would be nice if the state would build a PUBLIC range on it's thousands of acres of land. Odds are I'll see a new nuclear powerplant befor the state allows a rifle range. You folks out west should be gratefull you have a place to shoot. Joe

joe

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think there is only 1 600 yd range in NJ, and there is talk of taking some yardage away to make room for SPORTING CLAYS...

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is about forty yards east of the 400, and about the same west of the 1000.

Seriously, a 600 yard range takes a lot of acreage, so don't be surprised when they are scarce. Fortunately, we have lots of space out here.

Clouder..
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we got a few in virginia!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Got one about 40 minuts south of me, you have to rpove you can hit consistantly on the 100, 200, and 300 before then let you on the 600.

Its fun and depending on weather I do alright.

JuJu(who could use some more long range practice)
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    We have at least two 1000+ yard ranges here.I don't have anything to use for this type of range.What pistol or rifle will reach out that far?

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorlvlb
    We have at least two 1000+ yard ranges here.I don't have anything to use for this type of range.What pistol or rifle will reach out that far?

And this has come to pass,not to stay.

Read a report recently, where a guy was hitting targets at 1 mile (1760yd) and further, with iron sights on a 45-70 "trapdoor" Springfield.
    Most of the military, and a whole slew of comericial cartridges can be used for 1K target. It's not the cartridge, but how good both the gun and shooter are. I'm not talking about winning BR matches, but learning to stretch you abilities and build your confidence.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.