In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Identify these Wildcats ID's posted

Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
edited June 2003 in General Discussion
Inspired by Iconoclast's posts, here's a few wildcats for you to guess at.
small_cals.jpg
22LR, 20/22, 17/22, 14/22, 12/22, 10/22
14s.jpg
22LR, 14/22LR, 14 Flea (14/32 ACP), 14 Hornet, 223

*no I don't own any of them, I just thought you might enjoy them*

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.

Comments

• Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats some small rimfires, that one on the right, looks like it could be somewhere around 14 cal or so. Id guess the centerfires as all being in the 17 cal range. Ill bet Iconoclast could name most of them.

How about it Iconoclast? can you name them?[^]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Some one has entirely too much time on their hands if they start putting stuff like that together. Somewhere arround here I have a 17-50BMG... looks really crazy without a scale to tell how big the case is.

Why does everyone feel the need to burn that much powder?
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    On the top the first one next to the .22lr wouldn't that be a 5mm remington rimfire? Or a 5mm short hornet?
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I know about wildcats could be put in a thimble with room remaining for a large thumb. I surmise the five in the top series are rimfire and I would guess that the one second from the right might be a .14 Alton Jones. I also believe the cf round beside the .223 would be something based on a Hornet case.

Ya got me stumped, Tailgunner!

bolthandle, when you start talking wildcats, there are many people out there like Sir Edmund Hillary . . . "because it's there." I've seen some incredibly weird fantasy rounds over the years. Usually people don't play with rimfire ammo because of the priming system, but I know one guy who had some .223 round carbide stock which he shaped into projectiles. Then he very carefully removed the factory bullets in some .22 LR and replaced them with the carbide. At 100 feet, they blew through 1/4" steel plate like butter. When you consider that some of the best factory rounds we have now or in the past came to life originally as wildcats - .22-250, .257 Roberts, .35 Whelen, .44 Magnum, to name a few - the wildcatters are not always kooks.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You were all close. The ID's are those given by the owner, but other names for wildcats are not uncommon.
    Iconoclast, your a true gentleman considering I pirated the pics from a forum your known to post at.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.