.

This is the Only Brake Dance I know How to Do

p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
Coming back from town today I heard a grinding sound from the right front.
I love my little 91 Honda. It never gives me much problem and has only been towed once when I broke a timing belt. No way to limp home with that.

I get home and pop off the right front tire. Yep, pads are worn out, but the disc is not scored. It won't need turning.

Button it back up for a quick trip into town, secure a set of disc pads, and tomorrow I take about an hour to do both sides. The pads cost me $16. and that's straight retail. If you think Budget Brakes is giving you a good deal, think again. That ninety eight bucks price they advertise is for ONE WHEEL.

Working with my hands is one of the most relaxing and pleasurable pastimes I know.

Comments

  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    i do as much as i can on my vehicles...all the new electronic stuff is an expensive marketing tool for dealerships...their is crap on a 2010 honda pilot NASA could not figure out...best thing i ever did about 15 years ago was buy a car lift....still got a blue flame wrench and a big hammer...
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to check the slide pins.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    Don't forget to check the slide pins.



    +1 I usually pull them out and shine em up on the wire wheel on the grinder.....
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P3

    Turning the roaters is not all that expensive and will pay dividends in the end, unless the pads have less than 30K on them.

    Another thin you can do is switch them out left to right. That puts a different braking geometry on them and they will last a little longer kind of like flipping a Chainsaw bar.
    RLTW

  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 18,734 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good for you . I like to do all my own work also [^]
    I have repaired just about anything and every thing .
    I just changed the front rotors and brakes for a buddy he has a older 3/4 ton chevy van he uses as his work truck
    who ever did the last "pad " change did a crappy job [:(]
    I would have been ashamed to give it back to him If it was me but some do not care
    the rotors were in sad shape pitted so bad they looked like and acted like grinding wheels , the drivers side wore out the pads in no time also the slide pins were frozen in place ( thats how I ended up with it called me about the brakes grinding noise )
    I normally pick up the parts ( I buy off rock auto best deals I have found ) but he bought parts on the way to my house told me the rotors were 174.00 each not sure what the pads cost I would guess 30.00 or so
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,537
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    P3

    Turning the roaters is not all that expensive and will pay dividends in the end, unless the pads have less than 30K on them.

    Another thin you can do is switch them out left to right. That puts a different braking geometry on them and they will last a little longer kind of like flipping a Chainsaw bar.


    I can't find a place that turns rotors here in the big city. They force you to buy new ones!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 18,734 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    + 1 hard to find a shop that will just turn rotors for you the price of Chinese replacement parts has just about killed any such old school repairs .

    quote:Originally posted by wiplash
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    P3

    Turning the roaters is not all that expensive and will pay dividends in the end, unless the pads have less than 30K on them.

    Another thin you can do is switch them out left to right. That puts a different braking geometry on them and they will last a little longer kind of like flipping a Chainsaw bar.


    I can't find a place that turns rotors here in the big city. They force you to buy new ones!
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Had an old brake lathe (iirc it was a Late 60's Kwik-way) at my old place, couldn't give it away, finally left it in the garage for someone else to play with. Thing cost 3 or 4 grand new! Did teach my tool * cop neighbor how it worked while I lived there, he would have loved to take it, but didn't have room for it. (bet he's conned the new folks to keep it around) [:)]
    BTW: there is (or was) a decent amount of brake business out there. these kids can't comprehend anything beyond replacement parts... if that! There's a lot of older vehicles still running. Word gets around.


    I have problems understanding how the ABS system is safer. [:0]
  • mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the Never Seize on the slide pins.
    My 350's weak spot.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O'Rielly auto parts and the NAPA(Machine shop) will turn them here in the Raleigh area.
    RLTW

  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 27,192
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to flush/change your brake fluid!!! Most people don't know or forget to change it. Honda recommends that you do it every 3 years regardless of mileage. It's simple and cheap to do, And will only add about 10-15 minutes to you repair time.

    If you don't know how to do it, here is a good video that shows you how, with a homemade bleeder kit by a professional mechanic.



    And don't use grease or anti seize on your caliper pins. Use Permatex Ultra disc brake caliper Lube... Is specifically designed for calibers and won't fail like grease or anti seize will
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,925
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Coming back from town today I heard a grinding sound from the right front.
    I love my little 91 Honda. It never gives me much problem and has only been towed once when I broke a timing belt. No way to limp home with that.

    I get home and pop off the right front tire. Yep, pads are worn out, but the disc is not scored. It won't need turning.

    Button it back up for a quick trip into town, secure a set of disc pads, and tomorrow I take about an hour to do both sides. The pads cost me $16. and that's straight retail. If you think Budget Brakes is giving you a good deal, think again. That ninety eight bucks price they advertise is for ONE WHEEL.

    Working with my hands is one of the most relaxing and pleasurable pastimes I know.

    Me too. Would NOT trust another persons hands to do the job right.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Coming back from town today I heard a grinding sound from the right front.
    I love my little 91 Honda. It never gives me much problem and has only been towed once when I broke a timing belt. No way to limp home with that.

    I get home and pop off the right front tire. Yep, pads are worn out, but the disc is not scored. It won't need turning.

    Button it back up for a quick trip into town, secure a set of disc pads, and tomorrow I take about an hour to do both sides. The pads cost me $16. and that's straight retail. If you think Budget Brakes is giving you a good deal, think again. That ninety eight bucks price they advertise is for ONE WHEEL.

    Working with my hands is one of the most relaxing and pleasurable pastimes I know.



    100% agree. Growing up on the farm, one became innovative and a jack of all trades.

    I am thankful I can repair most things myself.

    [^]
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a front brake pad replacement on my 2013 Hyundai Sonata last week. That's a very easy car to change pads on.

    I haven't drained or flushed the brake fluid in any of my cars or trucks in quite a few years. I just use a suction pump and remove most of the fluid in the reservoir and replace it with new fluid every time I change the oil. Keeps fresh fluid in it all the time.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 27,192
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    I did a front brake pad replacement on my 2013 Hyundai Sonata last week. That's a very easy car to change pads on.

    I haven't drained or flushed the brake fluid in any of my cars or trucks in quite a few years. I just use a suction pump and remove most of the fluid in the reservoir and replace it with new fluid every time I change the oil. Keeps fresh fluid in it all the time.






    That will get most of the accumulated water out... but not as good as doing a total flush. But it's better than nothing
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont turn rotors, as long as the disc is not warped I have no noticeable difference.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Four years ago, I put new rotors and the best ceramic pads I could get on my Camry. Couple of months ago, I started thinking about it and I could not believe they had not worn out yet, so I went ahead and bought new ceramic pads. Pulled things off, those old pads were just about half worn, so damn, I put the new ones on anyway. A week later, I started getting a squeal now and then on the right side. Pulled wheels off, checked everything, made sure it was clean. Still get the damn noise but not all the time. WTH?
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 27,192
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Four years ago, I put new rotors and the best ceramic pads I could get on my Camry. Couple of months ago, I started thinking about it and I could not believe they had not worn out yet, so I went ahead and bought new ceramic pads. Pulled things off, those old pads were just about half worn, so damn, I put the new ones on anyway. A week later, I started getting a squeal now and then on the right side. Pulled wheels off, checked everything, made sure it was clean. Still get the damn noise but not all the time. WTH?


    Buy some of this, sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. This will alleviate it


    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/permatex-ceramic-extreme-brake-parts-lubricant-09973/7730000-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=7730000-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjwzqPcBRAnEiwAzKRgS1rtHJmJ5bNIoRUiE6f2mkFjJ_6xNTtCaS5eyoM1nZsyxMH98ckufhoCOQkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMT52vHpmN0CFRN1YgodcxcCyA
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Here it is Sunday and I just finished the brake job. The rain has been delaying me, but I got it done today.
    The right side took me an hour relearning all the nuances. The damned little metal clips that hold the pads in gave me fits for 30 minutes until I finally got the steps to install in the right order.

    The other side took me 20 minutes. [:D]

    The road test was in the rain so it kept everything cool as the pads got broken in.

    Right on and have a great Sunday.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've come to the conclusion that the only people who really tell you to have your rotors turned are the guys who have the machine to do it! That machine had to get paid off some how.

    The last time I had a rotor turned, I got it back on the car & it was still warped. So I still had to go buy new rotors and do the job all over again.

    Fortunately, the price of rotors has really come down - why spend $15-$20 to have a rotor turned if you can buy new for $25?

    As an experiment, I put a set of new pads on a badly grooved rotor. Many miles later, there were no issues. Was that pad going to wear quicker? Probably. Are pads easy to change? Yes, very & cheap.

    I've also noticed that some cars (mostly Japanese) come with 'life of the car' rotors - almost no wear at 150,000 miles or more. Others come with rotors that need replaced on the 1st pad change.

    But yes, brake jobs really aren't hard and you can save big $$$ DIY.
Sign In or Register to comment.