In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mossberg Shotguns

frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Hey I was lookin at this particular brand of shotguns and was wondering how you guys like yours.

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Mine's 10 years old and running strong

fc7245fa.jpg

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are fine, while I no longer own one because I prefer Remington, but they are a good deal for the price, if buying used look for the double slide bars not the single, they where prone to malfunctions and could bend disabling the gun
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Mossberg 500 persuader with 8-shot magazine, very similar to the military version. I've shot it for almost twenty years, always with slugs, buckshot, heavy duty 3-inch shells etc. It is still in perfect working condition. I know guys who have been shooting Mossbergs for thirty years. Its not a premium name, but it is a funcitonal, strudy, Amercian made, shotgun.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a Mossberg 590 in a "Loc Box" sleeping next to me. It's my other Guardian Angel in these troubled times.

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
    edited November -1
    I like the smoothness of the Rem870 but the Mossy is brutally reliable. One could compare the two to the AR and the AK one is more precise and accurate one works in any environment or weather, neither would be a bad choice when you gotta get behind the trigger of something when the chips are down[8D] The Mossy has a little looser fit and will work with a lotta grime in the works, definitely good for "reloadable claymore" use[;)]

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only two long guns I keep loaded at home are a MB 500 in .410 for my wife and a 590 in 12 ga for myself. Both have the stocks in the box and pistol grips installed. As for quality, I think the king summed it up.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have Remington,Winchester and Browning shotguns.
    My buddy and his kids all have Mossbergs, while they
    don't have the fit and finish of a Browning they
    seem to be strong and reliable. If I were to start out again
    from scratch for New England Deer and Bird hunting I would
    probably buy Mossberg and Marlin, unless of course
    Browning made a few more A5's. have 2 and I love 'em,
    but seriously you won't go wrong with a Mossberg.
    You'll save some dough and shoot a lot of game.
    Happy hunting!
    edited November -1
    FCD, from the hip it's a ice creamcat, shooting it like a pistol at arm's length hurts like hell[:D]

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a 500 410 that is on permanent loan to my dad; the only problem with it was if the slide was short-stroked it would jam. Not a problem if you made sure to run the slide clear back to the stop.
  • 2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't need anything better than my mossy 500. I have had both the 870 and the 500's and don't pick one over the other for reliabilitie.

2-barrel
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I have a 590 - great gun.
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 500 combo with interchangeable bbls. Works great for me. Never a problem.

http://Blog.LestDarknessFall.com
    http://LestDarknessFall.com
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine had one that went KA-BOOM. In its fit of glory his thumb went with it. Good luck. Buy a Benelli Nova or 870 and keep all your fingers.[;)]

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have two mossy's both 500 12ga. one 5 shot, the other 8,...and we used a 5 shot mossy in iraq,..never had any trouble out of any of them,feel sorry for the one we had overseas,..it got the $#!+ beat out of if,.but hey it stil worked like it just came out of the box.

my next shotgun will probally be another mossberg,..there not that much and reliable as hell

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Mossberg 500's and no problems. From what I have read they are the number one for sales of any other shotguns. They don't jam like some others brand names I have had experience with.
  • pequa1pequa1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did have trouble (two jams, would not eject) shooting those frenchy-made aluminum based Winchester rounds from my Mossberg 500. As soon as I stuck to Remington, Federal etc., no more jams. Have fired maybe 400 rounds without a problem since.
  • neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Mossberg 835 and also Remington 870. The only think I care less about the Mossberg it that mine kicks quite a bit harder than the 870. Has never malfunctioned on me. I went to BassPro in Springfield this past week. They had a rack of guns that were returned to manufacturer for some reason or other and of course they were not selling them as new guns. The thing that jumped out at me were that there was three Mossberg 935's in it. Made me wonder.

Hunt with your son today instead of hunting for him tomorrow.
  • CJ7nvrstkCJ7nvrstk Member Posts: 678 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 500 that I've had for 20 years. Beat the snot out of it and it still works great. (Gets bounced around alot in the Jeep) Not as smooth or refined as say a Remington 870, but a damn good shotgun. I have had NO problems with reliability with my Mossy 500. [:D]

All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I had a Model 500 for several years.Never a problem and was the best dove gun I've ever had.Got stupid and traded it on a Wingmaster Magnum.Fine gun,but not worth a dime as a dove gun.Got rid of it and now have a Model 835.I've only had it out turkey huntin' once.One shot,one kill at 50 yards.[:D]

Dove season's just around the corner,so we'll see.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    We are a mossberg family dads had one for a long time and loved it so my second shot gun was a 500 12ga. only had few problems because of a scope mount. Once i got rid of that i have not had a lick of problems these guns take one hell of a beating. Kill most anything deer ducks or humans take your pick

If it Flies it Dies
    All my guns are AMERICAN MADE
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the Mossberg Police Persuader is number 1 on my list then the 590 DA we are issued are great guns.I havent seen much here about the Winchester 1300.I have a 1300 Speed Pump that came with only a pistol grip,I bought a pistol grip stock and put a heat shield on it and its almost as fast as a semi-auto.Its been a great gun.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossberg 500 is my hunting gun. Am on my 2nd one. Started with a 20ga and moved up to a 12ga not too long ago.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • AuggyAuggy Member Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Nova is the most reliable gun I own.

While out duck hunting last year we had tremendous snowfall/cold weather. I was out with a friend and some of his family. He had an 870 while his cousin and uncle were toting berreta autos. When a flock came in, everyone got one shot out, but I was the only one to get a follow up shot (I downed one on the last shot). Their actions had frozen shut from the melting snow then freezing of it. So while I was sitting the blind ready for more ducks, they were trying to use hand warmers to unfreeze their shotguns. Pretty soon after that my friend got a Nova. [:D]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If it dont say IDAHO, its just a spud..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    I own a Mossberg 500 with marinecoat finish, bought it in '88. Its called Mariner now. Like KJ said, this takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I take it along while boating, it has taken a lot of pounding abuse from the waves. When not in the boat, I keep it in my truck. For the money, you can't beat a Mossy. Go for it.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first Mossberg was the model 695 slug gun. Most accurate slug gun I've ever seen. But I will never buy another new Mossberg. The 695 had a crappy trigger, so naturally I 'worked' on it and ruined a couple of trigger components. Mossberg customer service would not sell me the parts I needed. Kept saying that those parts were connected to the receiver and they could only sell the complete receiver and do I have an FFL.......What a bunch of crap. But fine, I don't have to buy any more Mossbergs, since there is a bit of competition out there in the shotgun world.

Lucky for me, there was a recall on my guns safety and Mossberg ended up replacing those trigger components for free (and they didn't replace the receiver - imagine that).