In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what non standard custom guns do you own??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in General Discussion
Anyone own a custom gun that is a bit different than your standard custom ordered gun, such as a Cooper where you can pick and choose what it comes with? My only odd ball is a neat little walnut stocked 10/22 that has a model 52 target barrel cut down to fit...Boy does it shoot! And no, Joe didn't make it..[:D]

Comments

• Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got my custom Mauser in 9.3x64 recently.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 760 that someone took a hacksaw blade to and chopped off 4"
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Brown Whelen built on a German MKV action and had a 358Win
    built on a round top Sako action, originally an H&R, for my son.
    Both done by C.P. Donnelly in Grants Pass Oregon.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a .45 from the KIMBER Custom Shop,,[;)][;)]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    10/22 built to look like a M1 Carbine, And one built with Stainless Barrel and thumb hole stock. Just the receiver is stock on it.

Have a 1903 that is now a .308 Norma Mag. Actually have two of those.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More bubba than custom, but a 1890 Winchester/Marlin composite. It has two different serial#s and a Marlin .22 short, long, long rifle barrel. It is chambered WRF, Winchester rim fire cartridge. I bought it many years ago from an old gun butcher for #12.00. It shoots well and I carried it for a truck gun for years. Marwin? Winlin?

standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    03 Springfield done by Paul Jaeger, Jenkingtown, Pa. Griffin and Howe type scope mount made by Jaeger. Heinsoldt-Wetzler german sniper scope. Also Lyman 48s iron sights. Jager's stockmaker Fritz Voit carved his name and date under buttplate. Jaeger's name and address on barrel and scope mount.

Have complete history on gun and documentation. Belonged to USMA '39 Grad. Talked to Mr. Jaeger many years ago at 93 and still working before move to Tennessee. He remembered every detail of gun built in i949. Sharp as a tack.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Smith 637 is from the Smith Custom shop.[:)], Have a Kimber from their custom shop, but I think all that is marketing.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have this Smith model 36 with factory 6" barrel. Only 2 dozen made this way.
    [imgrBZ6UEQ.jpg][/img]

Left hand 1911. Made for a short time in the last century.
    [imgq2Hxl5d.jpg][/img]
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage Model 24V that I customized for a camper/car gun. Barrels are shortened to 18.5", upper barrel re-chambered to .223 Rem . The 20ga barrel threaded for choke tubes. The forearm slightly shortened and has a internal cavity to hold a chamber adapter from .223 Rem to .22RF . Modified choke tube installed and a rifled tube for sabot slugs available along with ammo on a slip over butt stock holder

Butt plate and grip cap made from 1/4" aircraft aluminum and the butt stock hollowed to hold some extra whatever's you might want. Sling swivels mounted to bottom of the 20ga barrel forward of the forearm and to the
    grip cap.

Barrels regulated to shoot to the same POI at 30yds.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 70 deluxe in 22-250 that is all tricked out for 200 yard bench rest shooting. It looks completely stock but it?s not. The gun has been highly modified plus the internals of the scope have been highly upgraded. It?s a heavy barreled gun from the factory and the scope just looks like a cheap tasco but it is all tricked out just for 200 yard bench rest shooting.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    how about a martini in .50/100
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pachmyer A1 special parker skeet gun.
    real ones go for 500,000.
    these are a tad cheaper....but custom made to look like them.
    how rare are the real ones? well...one was made for the czar.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser action, Ralph Pride Barrel, Tom Shelhamer stock, AA White engraved, 30-06 rifle with a 4X Kollmorgan scope. built in the late 50's.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 1300 that's wearing the wood stocks from my 1200. Interestingly enough, I also have a Winchester 1200 that's wearing the ugly plastic stocks off of a 1300...
    Does that count?[:D]
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning A5 12 ga that somebody cut the bbl to 22". They also cut the butt stock to fit a very small person. I had to get a syn butt stock to fit me. Ugly as sin, but a great truck gun.
  • Options
    Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning A5 12 ga that somebody cut the bbl to 22". They also cut the butt stock to fit a very small person. I had to get a syn butt stock to fit me. Ugly as sin, but a great truck gun.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    edited November -1
    Most of my guns are muzzle loading flintlocks, custom made with real pretty wood. All are one of a kind and there are no two alike.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "SILVER BOX EDITION" Jennings 22!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170

Have one of those, wore out the factory barrel and had a Hart barrel put on it, for a pump gun I?ll out that sucker up against any average bolt gun out to 400 yards. Only problem with it is it kicks like a retarded mule on PCP
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    Most of my guns are muzzle loading flintlocks, custom made with real pretty wood. All are one of a kind and there are no two alike.

I've seen some of your stuff Brookwood.

Very nice indeed.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing I've done myself, but have a Boys AT rifle that is nicely fitted with a .50 BMG barrel.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a S&W 28-2 with a 6" 1955 barrel. It is chambered for 45 colt.
    Don
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Weatherby Vanguard that started life as a .338 Win Mag with the black synthetic stock. Now its a .340 Weatherby with a 26" Douglas XX 5A profile barrel, Gentry muzzle brake, Timney trigger, Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum spine, a +20 minute rail, a Bushnell Tactical Elite 3.5 X 21 mil-dot scope with 34mm tube in Warne rings. Feed rails reworked to feed the long-body case.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    k98 with dirty birds intact sporterized (really well done, looks like early 60's work) in 284 Winchester.

I want to thank all of you who were on this site early on too. Auction had a really crappy out of focus picture with the description, "Mauser, 284 Win"

Seller kept relisting and dropping starting price $100 each time. Got down to $300 and I thought 'what the hell' and threw a bid on it.

Fantastic condition, and shoots MOA.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nickel S&W Model 19 with 4 in. Python barrel and action job.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    quote:Originally posted by savage170

Have one of those, wore out the factory barrel and had a Hart barrel put on it, for a pump gun I?ll out that sucker up against any average bolt gun out to 400 yards. Only problem with it is it kicks like a retarded mule on PCP

30 06 ?
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    A Full-On Custom, by Chick Donnelly, of Siskiyou Gunworks. He was Gunsmith to the U.S. Olympic Shooting Team for a number of Years.

Chambering is a "Wildcat of a Wildcat" - .35 Whelen, Ackley Improved.

Oregon Walnut, Handmade, Checkered, etc., Stock.

It is Purty.

I helped make it, working in Chick's shop, where He Made the barrel on the actual Barrel Lathes originally made by P.O. Ackley.

Far More than I could ever afford, it was made for My Old Man, in hopes of taking it Elk Hunting. Sadly, OM passed before He could reach His Goal. I inherited the Rifle.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester-Springfield 1903 Sniper Rifle Type 2 (1922):

I posted pics of this one a week or two back. I am aware of four or five of the Type 2 guns. They had to be special ordered by the customer, and if I recall correctly, once Winchester received payment they purchased the action from Springfield Armory, and then built the gun around the action to customer specs. Out of all of those that I know to exist, none of them are identical to the other, although they are very similar in most features. For example, the only one that I know of that is factory correct with all like paperwork has a stock with cheek rest identical to mine as pictured, while at least two of the others have a different styled cheek rest.

WyjoiD6.jpg

dfBbxzT.jpg
    What's next?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,382 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood

I've seen some of your stuff Brookwood.

Very nice indeed.

Thanks Ken! [:)]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 03-A3 that's been sporterized that's a good old gun.

I was at a gun show in Montgomery, AL back in 2001 and I wasn't looking for a rifle to buy but it was late on Sunday afternoon and the gunsmith that built the gun made me such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.

The receiver was made in 1942. He put a Douglas barrel on it with Red Field scope rings and did a little jeweling on the bolt and trigger. He did the engraving on the stock and bolt handle. The bluing job he did is about as good as any I've seen. It's the cheapest rifle in my safe but it's also the most accurate rifle I own.

I put an old Windfield scope on it that my uncle bought sometime back in the 60s or 70s that's actually not bad for an old scope.

DSCN1273_2_zpszxvuu3ob.jpg

DSCN1279_zpsag2f6kal.jpg

A3-037-5-07002.jpg
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for a while i got into making buntline 22 revolvers...still have a Ruger Bisley with about an 11" barrel topped with ramp and bead front sight and a semi buckhorn rear insert...rechambered 22lr cylinder to 22 magnum and set cylinder gap at 0.004" and gold plated indian head pennies and inset them in grips..made several for friends ..haven't done that for years now
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    That's really nice, Smitty!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a sucker for old Mausers. Have a couple of the 'Sporterized by Kimber' Model 96s.

The first is in standard 6.5 mm, with contoured barrel (original, I think), silver/nickel finish and Ramline stock. I passed one of these up at a gun show many years ago, but corrected that a couple years back (on GB of course).

I had been receiving GB emails on these for a while (& still do just for amusement) but when another one in .308 with a fluted barrel was going too cheaply, I had to buy that one too.

Anyway, these are a couple of my favorites.