In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

St. Louis Gun Shops?

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in General Discussion
Going on vacation in a two weeks. Spending a week in St. Louis. Is there any good gun shops in the area that are worthy of visiting?

Yeah, been to Bass Pro SHop. Might as well go to Six Flags. It's kind of a circus. No prices on anything. Nothing used. Everything is 15 feet behind the counter. Never see a sall price. I am in the mood of something smaller, but I don't have anything in mind to buy. Just in the mood for vacation al looking, unless soething jumps out at me.

Comments

• CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the on-line yellow pages . . . give you a start, if nothing else.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there's enough ppl here that enjoy their guns, but few decent gun shops.

Denny Dennis Sporting Goods is the main gun shop in town. I've never been there. Supposedly they have plenty of guns, but I don't know if they're all "hunting" -only. if you're looking for something specific, might want to give tham a call first.

1 Gravois Rd, Fenton (suburb of st. louis) 636-343-9447

The other gun shop I would recommend (if you're looking for mil surplus that is) specializes in repair and gunsmithing of full-auto small arms. maybe large arms too, they're pretty hardcore. the guys that work there are normal, but the guy who owns the place (I think) seems normal... but he's a reeeeeal slick salesman. I think he's psycho too. you'll never know how much unless you get to know him, which you won't from the 1 hour you're there.

they're only open to the public from 10-6 on friday, 10-4 on saturday, all other times the showroom is closed and they're working on their stuff. there's no shortage of business, the small showroom is packed until about 12 or 1pm. again if you're looking for something specific you might want to call first.

or like you said, if you're not really in the mood to buy something but just want to bs in a small and interesting shop, this is a good place to go.

C&S Metall-Werkes Ltd 4025 Old Hwy 94 South, St Charles (suburb of St Louis) 636-928-1511

an indoor pistol/rifle range with a decent showroom and casual atmosphere is Bull's Eye Indoor Pistol Range. 5100 Manchester, St Louis, 314-781-4867. nothing special but it's a third choice. I think I saw some couches there to sit on.
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    I know you are looking for gun shops, but this time of year, don't discount Bass Pro for their sale items. Around August they usually run some DEEP price cuts on their summer clothes (short sleeve shirts and shorts, etc.). We make a trip to the Shriners Hospital in STL every August and always hit the sales at BP. Might be worth your trip.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless things have changed recently, you can not buy a gun in Missouri unless you are a resident of Missouri.
  • abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well , if given a few extra minutes , and you will greatly enjoy the small trip , go south-east into Ill. go to Pinkneyvelle and make a trip to Hicks Guns , largest in the area ...well worth the time !!!
    I grew up apx. 45 min.s south of there , and would go into Hicks on a regular basis ....
    Thanks & Good Luck !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

p.s. Keep in mind that 'st. louis' was @ one time the crime capital of the U.S. (and still not far behind!) and stay AWAY from East St. Louis ....
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    There a small but very well stocked shop in Ironton (I believe) that
    people come from all over to visit. The place is called Butch &
    Norma's..or maybe just Norma's, and they typically stock about 2,500
    arms. Three little towns all stuck together there, so it may be
    Arcadia, or Ironton...about 100mi. Southward of Louie.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (314) 739-0399
    Trail Creek Trade Co
    10902 Saint Charles Rock Rd
    St Ann, MO 63074 - 1506

This is the most interesting I found will visiting there last March.
    Trail Creek is a small shop with some high end offerings and also no bargains. They know what they have. Prices are fair however.

I found nowhere else worth looking, but there is a Bass Pro (Sportsmans Warehouse in this case) in St. Charles that might be worth a stop. I just bought clothes and dry flies.

Looked at Denny Dennis and I thought not worth the time. New stuff, no bargains, little or no used. I did get some decent prices on patches, considering the 1000 mile trip to shop there. If you go, hit Dex and make a map, it is a little tricky to find if you don't know the area. I lived in St. Louis ten years 25+ years ago and storta know my way around still.
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Graf & sons has a store a couple of blocks from Bass Pro shop. Also @ exit 225 on 70 there is a nice sized Bass Pro shop type place that used to be called Dunns sporting goods, but has changed names.

I always hit these 3 places when I'm around St. Charles.