In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NY State Handgun permits. update

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in General Discussion
My wife just had her interview with our local Sheriff's department for her handgun permit.

She turned it in in August-2016, so it took them 15 months to get around to it.

Now she has to get all four of the individuals who endorsed her permit application to sign three other pieces of paper that she must then get notarized.

Then she has to return it so that they can submit it to the county judge who has to sign it...[V]

I was hoping to have her pick out her new carry concealed handgun for Christmas, but I don't think that will happen this year....[:(!]

Update: This is a video & article that ran yesterday here where we live.

http://www.wwnytv.com/story/36956768/pistol-permit-applications-skyrocket-in-jefferson-county

Trinity +++

Comments

• scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She could still pick it out and you can have it added to your permit until her's comes through; then transfer to her permit, no?
    I know it takes some of the joy out of it.
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or you could move to Kentucky go to the local gun store where she could buy and pick up the gun, and go to my 8 hour CCDW class and carry.

[8D]
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you just love begging the government for your constitutional rights? [xx(]
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear that upstate has become so down state.
    I remember when those of us on Long Island wished we lived there
    not only because it was a beautiful place to live but also had a much
    more relaxed attitude toward gun owners.
    Either the Canadians or the down staters must have moved in and taken over.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As liberal as Washington State is I do at least like the fact all it took to get a ccw permission slip here was my drivers license, fingerprints, an application and fee that?s good for 5 years. Big difference from when I lived in California that was maybe issue if you were connected enough or lived in one of the few counties that did issue. Shouldn?t need any permit but I also don?t want to end up in a jail cell. Here in Washington State we can open carry without a permit but not in a vehicle.
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a second vote for Washington state.

XXXXXX
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trinity, do you or your wife have strong ties to New York State? By "strong ties" I mean ties that if weakened or broken would cause you more grief than living in a place where the government tells you what color toilet paper to use.

I understand that spending most of your life in and around New York makes a move to places like Tennessee or Kentucky seem pretty drastic, but there are closer states that do have limited freedom.

For example, Vermont does lean toward communism, but they have some personal freedoms, and it's close enough you could visit family from time to time.

It seems to be a mighty big solution for such a seemingly small problem, but I think it's worth thinking about. I know as much as I like Virginia I'd hate to leave, but if we continue too far on our current path I'll wave bye bye.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Don't you just love begging the government for your constitutional rights? [xx(]

+1 [B)]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read in forums the hoops people in some states have to jump through to buy legally authorized firearms and my blood boils. How can this be allowed? Make fun of Arkansas all you want, there are virtually zero laws restricting the Second Amendment at the state level. No guns or magazines are banned, no damn waiting periods, no limits on ammunition, open carry if you wish and concealed carry permits on demand.

Come January campus carry will be legal.

Oh, and no helmet laws for bikers.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Crazy how folks pay their masters to enslave them.
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JamesRK,

As of right now the strong tie to NY that keeps us here is her job, and family.

I would quickly move South if I could. I have even checked real estate in TN & Texas, and there is no way I could afford what I have here in NY in those States.

There is no way I'll ever move farther East, but I would consider South again. Maybe some day, but I'll probably be in a walker by then.

The main reason she is getting her license is so that if something happens to me the Sheriff's department will not come & scoop up all my handguns. She will put all my handguns on her permit.

I want her to pick out her own handgun when she get's the license. I want her to go through the entire process of filling out the 4473, NICS check, and having to go back to the SHeriff's office with the States green card, and have the new gun put on her permit at an additional cost of $3.

As it is the first gun on the new permit is free, but each additional gun added will cost us another $3 each. This means I'm paying over $50 to get this all done, and on top of this the initial license fee alone was around $140 to start this process.

Trinity +++
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh that New York State of mind...

Sucks to be a New Yorker.
    "What is truth?'
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just got campus carry back last year. When I was in college nobody cared. In that county, you (still) have to go before a judge and tell him why you want a carry permit. I said look at my address (which was on campus) he stamped it and away I went. My County now, 5 minutes and $72 and away you go...
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What county are you in ? We are in Delaware County down on the PA border .. A friend of mine does the Permits for the County Sheriff Dept. Normal procedure is 2-3 months and boom full carry. Only thing references have to do is sign the sheet twice and answer 5-6 easy questions.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn, I'm glad I live in Georgia and don't have B/S laws & regulation on firearms & license to deal with [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tip.....when your wife goes to get the reference forms filled out by the four individuals....hand carry them and turn them in yourself.

Back when I was on the job in upstate New York, folks would hand out the forms expecting them to be turned in by the individual endorsers..

if they don't return them , the police dept. would not give you another form to replace the one(s) not turned in..

It could save you a lot of heartburn to hand carry them..
    edited November -1
    Itcdoty,

That part has already been done. Each endorser had to sign a separate form, and have it notarized. Then they were turned in with the application packet last year. Now they want another three forms signed by each endorser, which my wife must get notarised all over again.

MFI,

We live in Jefferson county near the St Lawrence county line. They had an article today in the local paper that said how the local Sheriff's department had been inundated with permit request. They said that they have received over 650 applications in the past 12 months.

Back in the 90's when I got my permit it took me 11 months, and I was an LEO at the time.

Trinity +++
  • mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't you just love begging the government for your constitutional rights? [xx(]

Your right to keep and bear arms is not a constitutional right. It is a natural right. The 2nd amendment is suppose to be a control on government infringement of that right.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    15 months seems to be a violation of due process.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Congress may pass the national ccw reciprocity act before she gets it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mnrivrat48
    quote:Don't you just love begging the government for your constitutional rights? [xx(]

Your right to keep and bear arms is not a constitutional right. It is a natural right. The 2nd amendment is suppose to be a control on government infringement of that right.

I agree 110% and I didn't intend to imply any different.
    Well put!!
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    I read in forums the hoops people in some states have to jump through to buy legally authorized firearms and my blood boils. How can this be allowed? Make fun of Arkansas all you want, there are virtually zero laws restricting the Second Amendment at the state level. No guns or magazines are banned, no damn waiting periods, no limits on ammunition, open carry if you wish and concealed carry permits on demand.

Come January campus carry will be legal.

Oh, and no helmet laws for bikers.

[^]

I do feel for those people in NY. I know a number of people who left NY, CY, RI MA, and now live in the South. Might as well include CA & IL in mix.
    They left based on taxes alone and the tax savings alone made the move pay for its self in one year. Something to consider.

Heard many stories of property taxes alone in the New England states greater than the principal and interest plus all utilities combined. A friend of mine who lived in NJ owns a house smaller than mine and he pays more property taxes in one month than I pay in a year.

Most of those fleeing have great advice: Don't ever vote DEMOCRAT.
  • usmarshal01usmarshal01 Member Posts: 117 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    South Carolina was awsome drivers license and one paper to fill out.Because of health reasons I moved back to Jersey where a ccw is impossi Then my son-in-law and daughter moved to PA and I moved with them much better now
    edited November -1
    It seems some of the most tyrannical states are some of the original colonies?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    NY has damn few redeeming values.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    NY has damn few redeeming values.

Name just One.
    I thought for 20 minutes, and couldn't.
    edited November -1
    My family lives there, for me that's enough for now...[;)]

Actually, some of you wouldn't believe it, but the hunting & fishing is great up here, and it doesn't cost an arm & a leg to hunt deer up here like it did when I lived in Texas. Deer hunting there is big business, and hunting rights in Texas are protected like mineral rights.

Trinity +++
  • MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NYS is a beautiful place. Lived here my whole life. We have all 4 seasons, great hunting and fishing.Beautiful mountains, rivers and lakes. We are under Nazi control from Albany and NYC unfortunately..
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For many reasons including being a felon as soon as I cross the NY state line I do not even have my truck permitted to go into that state. Fuel taxes are rediculous, NYC bridge tolls are absurd (GE Bridge is $105 for trucks), double taxed on the Thruway and again, because of the guns in my truck I am a felon when I cross the state line. If NY is depending on me to bring them groceries y?all will go hungry.