In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody near the Chanute Kansas area??

muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
I will be visiting that area shortly.Anybody know anything fun to do around there??

Muggster

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt near there. I'll be near there over the weekend of Aug. 14th and also Sept. 14 through around the 24th (muzzleloader season).

I don't know what you consider fun, but some areas near there that might be of interest are the Mined Land Wildlife Area (strip pit fishing), Big Brutus (big huge shovel for strip mining, near Cherokee Kansas), Independence Zoo in Independence used to be nice but I haven't been there for years.

My mother-in-law's ex-husband used to have a place in Thayer Kansas which if memory serves is straight south of Chanute. 'bout the only time I go to Chanute area anymore is when I need to go up to the wildlife dept. during the deer season for additional tags.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I drink a lot of beer in Lawrence Kansas![:p]

topcat1.bmp Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • Options
    muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was lookin at the area on a map....doesn't seem like there is much going on....cept maybe a little beer drinking and partying.
    Saw something about a safari museum(stuffed animals)....

I may be out there around the 14th ,bambihunter.May be in touch with you if I can find a computer.
    later

Muggster
  • Options
    deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mugster - I live about 30 miles south of Chanute. bambihunter mentioned he would be in the area on the 14th. Maybe we could have a visit. Not too much in the way of tourist attractions around here. Steam shovel called "Big Brutus" which is I think the 2nd largest ever built is in a tiny little town called West Mineral. I do know where most of the local area gun shops are though. Let me know more of the specifics of your trip. I am somewhat familiar with Chanute if you need any help. [8D]-Don Just read bambihunters post. There are a couple of good steak joints in Thayer. One called "Big Eds would be a good spot to meet.

blonds.bmpWhen they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Parsons.gif