In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question about C&R License

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I was filling the application out and noticed that answering YES to question 11, could disqualify me?? Question 11 asks if I was ever an employee of a FFL holder. I worked for the local gunshop here for four years, left on good terms, why would that disqualify me?

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,019 ******
    edited November -1
    You're not allowed to have a Curio and Relic license if you have ever worked for a FFL holder.
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That has me stumped -- What reasoning could possibly be behind that??
    You could have worked in the clothing department of Wal-mart and you would have to say that you worked for a FFL holder (if you are being honest on the application).
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    You're not allowed to have a Curio and Relic license if you have ever worked for a FFL holder.

Are you serious????
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    surely that can`t be right??

if it is it sucks and should be dropped real quick!

maybe you could claim it`s discrimination[:)]
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I have a C&R, and answered yes to that question, as I worked for the anti-christ, Wal-Mart when I was young and dumb. As an area manager that included sporting goods. (we sold handguns and reloading supplies back then)
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Searcher - did you have any further questions asked by the ATF after you answered yes?
    The only possible thing that I can think of is if they want to check and make sure that the FFL you previously worked for was not guilty of violations.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a new one on me. I hold a C&R FFL and I am also a firearms dealer with a Type 01 FFL and I was not disqualified frm getting a C&R due to working for...Myself!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    Searcher - did you have any further questions asked by the ATF after you answered yes?
    The only possible thing that I can think of is if they want to check and make sure that the FFL you previously worked for was not guilty of violations.

Been several years ago, but as I remember there may have been a place to elaborate who you worked for, and what the situation was. I looked for a copy of my application, but so far, no good. ATF never contacted me about anything, just sent me the license.
    edited November -1
    Ok, found a copy of my application. It is several years old, and may be different now.

Item 11, part "D" is what is in question, "Has the applicant or any person referred to in item 9 above: Been an employee of a Federal Firearms Licensee?"

The header above item 11 reads: "Give full details on a seperate sheet for all yeas answers in item 11"

I simply told who I worked for, the address, and approximate years I worked there. I think they are just trying to determine if you were involved in any shady or illegal activity while working under another persons license.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark- Why do you have both? Do you keep separate log books? I would think the ATF would deny a C&R application by an FFL holder due to possible conflicts of interest since a C&R is strictly a non-dealer license and the 01 FFL is for conducting business and the ATF seems adamant about no cross-over.

BTW- I have had a C&R for about 5 years and back in the 1980s and 1990s I had a 01 FFL so apparently that didn't bother them.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have a bound book for my business as well as for my C&R firearms. The need for a dealer to hold a C&R has lessened over the past few years due to some changes in the regulations but up until about 5 years ago it was very handy. Here is how this works: I have a Type 01 FFL here in CA and you hold a Type 01 FFL in Arkansas and we meet at a gun show in your home state. I can buy whatever I please from you but due to the way the regulations were structured I could not deliver any firearms to you. That M1 Garand that you ordered and which I would have been happy to give to you at the gun show...I'd have to ship it to you. With a C&R FFL I would not have had the same constraints as a dealer (who's place of business is considered to be his licensed premises or a gun show in his home state) and with the C&R FFL I could just hand you the M1 right there at the gun show. The regulations have now been amended to allow out of state dealers to deliver C&R firearms to other licensees at out of state show (either Type 01 or Type 03) but once again, it has to be done at a gun show. With both of us holding C&R FFLs C&R I could met you at your house and deliver the M1 to you in your living room, something which is still impossible to do with a Type 01 dealer FFL; delivery wold have to be made at a gun show. Several years ago my BATFE compliance inspector could not understand why a person would need both types of FFLs and when outlined this same story I got nothing but a blank stare: "Well, yes...Ah...I suppose you could need both FFLs...Er, I...Ah...I never really thought of that".

Besides this scenario there are also a large number of National Firearms Act weapons (like C&R machine guns) which once the paperwork has been approved can be transferred directly to a Type 03 FFL holder. Otherwise a buyer wold need a Class 3 dealer to transfer something like a Thompson SMG to him, no doubt for a fat fee. There are also a Destructive Devices such as old anti tank guns, various cannons and even some 60mm mortars which are on the C&R list and can be transfered to C&R FFL holders once the paperwork is approved. If you don't have a C&R FFL and want to trade these items with other collectors you'd need a Type 09 (or higher) Destructive Device license and those babies are $3000 and a real hassle to get! This is just a brief and simpified look at a very complicated subject.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,019 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161

Are you serious????

[:D]
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chris8161

Are you serious????

[:D]

[xx(][xx(]