In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DWI...in the old days

322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
Another post here reminded me of a situation I found myself in the summer of 1979. Leaving a party in Cincinnati with my college buddies, one of the guys gave me a 6 pack of those little brown bottle PBR's to drink on the way home. As I drank them, I tossed the emptys on to the floor boards on the passenger side of my car. While driving North on I-75, 20 miles from home, I could go no farther. I was so tired! I pulled over on the berm of I-75 to nap for half an hour. Next thing I new, a spot light was on me! A Ohio State Patrol car had pulled up behind me! He strolled up to the drivers side window and asked me what was up. I told him I was so tired I couldn't go any farther and just needed a little nap. That's when he shown his flashlight on the 6 empty bottles laying on the floor on the passenger side. Uh-oh. He then asked if I had drank all those and I said I did. He asked if I was drunk and I said no. He asked me if I can drive okay and I said yes. He then said you can't stay parked here as it was dangerous and told me to go home.
I sped home 100% alert! They sure don't do that anymore!

Comments

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, they sure don't!

During my early Navy days in Corpus Christi a group of us were cruising the local scenes, in my red 1966 SS 396 Chevelle (cop/ticket magnet). One of the local police noticed us and pulled me over. When he walked up to the window I still had the open, half full, beer bottle in my hand. After a brief cordial exchange, he asked me if I wanted a ticket or did we want to pour our beers out on the ground. In my haste, I almost poured my beer on his shoes! No ticket and he let us go! [:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited November -1
    I?ve never had a DUI, but for the grace of God. Back in the old days, I was often allowed to continue after the officer talked to me for a while.
    Today, they can?t make a judgment call even if they were so inclined. If they let someone continue, and that person wrecked and killed someone down the road, there would be serious implications.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now a days they'd lose too much money if they let you go or gave you a ride home.
  • 322nd322nd Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to be clear, I certainly don't condone drinking and driving. I am much smarter now than I was then.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I?m not quite as old as a few of you, but when I was in the Navy stationed in Lemoore CA in the 90?s the cops would park in front of the bar and give us rides instead of having us drive.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stationed in Osan, Korea about 4 decades back and walking home drunk as a skunk one of our crew looked down on the side of the road and said "walking this drunk is dangerous, we could fall into one of the binjo ditches - we should be driving ......"

Made sense at the time. [:D]
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh the good old old days... Now that all the gov agencies have found ways to earn income to supplement dept budgets. Especially when its for public safety. Or tax property owners to pay for illegals and drug addiction programs. Killing babies for moms that would rather have you pay for thier pleasure then use protection.

Its progress right...
    "What is truth?'
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Now a days they'd lose too much money if they let you go or gave you a ride home.

Yep, that's how it works, they take a direct hit to their commission. [;)] WTH-ever
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila lost her husband and daughter to a drunk driver

6 previous convictions - in a 10 year period

He got reckless endangerment and involuntary homicide

The bar he was at served him 12 shots in a 3 hour period

When he ran a light at a 4 way intersection he hit a pedestrian and sideswiped another car before hitting the last car head on

They estimate he was doing 60+ in a 35 zone and never touched the brakes

He fled the scene on foot and was apprehended a few miles away hiding in a shed

He was over 3 times the legal limit and had an open bottle of beer in the car along with a few empties

The pedestrian lost a leg

Mike