In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Luger at the gun show

spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
Went to a gun show Saturday. Small potatoes by most standards, I am sure. Looking for a 22 target pistol to teach the youngest how to shoot a pistol.
Saw an old Stoeger 22 Luger. Price -150.00. Almost bought it. No, I don't know the value of such, just like Lugers and wanted it bad. Barrel was clean and shiny with good markings in it. Just backed off due to the action. When pulling back the knuckle, it would bind in the same position every time. Don't know if it was the spring or what. Don't know enough history on the Stoeger rights either, so couldn't decide if I could get it in good operating condition. Only had one ticket to buy, if you know what I mean, so passed it up.
Did I mess up? Any one into Lugers out there who can help? Since I am apparently determined to gain more of these things, I could use some help on history and available parts. I know they are persnickity (?) and a special breed. Is the breed viable? What do I need to get going and get comfortable. Evidently, I know more than many about how to handle them - just the mechanics here, movement etc... but I don't know enough to proceed.
thanks,
spiny

Comments

• RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stoeger .22 Luger was the first pistol I ever owned....still have it and a second one with the adjustable target sights. Very reliable, not picky with ammo...fun and accurate shooters. Just something about that nifty toggle action that is appealing.....it's sort of like the poor mans luger.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll look into it for ya, I have luger collecting friends that I think would've jumped on it at that price.

Regards,
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!
    edited November -1
    Don't confuse these with the centerfire Lugers...they are merely a look alike to the originals. Aluminum frames, some stamped metal parts....$150 is about right for these.
  • spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    Please be right Rembrandt. I am ignorant and would be heart broken if I messed up!
    edited November -1
    P.S. I understand that a Stoeger of today costs over 1,000.00 beans. But they are supposed to be a pleasure to shoot.
    Lord Spiny
    SSSSSSJ
    edited November -1
    Here is one to look at.... http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6787588

Stoeger was also the primary importer of Lugers....9mm and 30cal are worth considerably more than the .22 caliber version.
    edited November -1
    I am having a problem understanding the 'new' system. With no reserve, the minimum bid is still 'set'.
    No reserve, no bid, but minimum is 250.00. Ah, if it has no reserve, how is there a minimum?
    By the way, that appears to be the same pistol! Darn!
    Lord Spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
    edited November -1
    I fail to comprehend how a 'minimum' is different from a 'reserve'! Why not just continue to list a 'reserve'. Obviously, they are the same, under a different name. Use one or the other, not both. It is a waste of 'read' i.e.: my time!
    JMHO
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the difference is that one is hidden & the other is open.
    I have absolutely no problem with a minimum but I totally ignor hidden reserves.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Bought one nearly new in the box,complete with papers at last big show in Tulsa...150 bucks.For a friend.
    I think there are better 22's out there for same or not much more money.Unless one has a Luger fixation...and these are just knock-offs.
    Around here,150 to 225 dollars will knock 'em down...and over priced,If one is looking for a long term shooting iron.

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess I might have 'a Luger fixation'. As I said, I like them. Don't want to be ripped off, but I do like them - a lot!
    Just don't want to spend un-needed $ on the ones I like.
    Thanks for your input.
    Lord Spiny - the still mostly ignorant.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    No offense intended..over the years,I have tended to a Ruger,old military rifles,32-20 Smith & wesson,22 target pistols.>++++++++...blablabla..fixations...all to the detriment of my back pocket....

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I paid $225.00 on GB about two years ago. Mine has the box with it. I haven't even shot it but it sure is pretty. I wish I had the take down on it. That's one reason it's not been shot. There are not instructions on how to field strip it for cleaning. My future son in law went to the Indy 1500 about a month after I got mine. He paid $150.00 and other than no box, it was identical to mine.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."