In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? for the deer experts

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
edited August 2003 in General Discussion
I see one buck in this field i spotlight just about every night. Hes in the same spot every time "no its not one of them shoot me deer this one runs away some times" but the problem is that hes been all alone all summer I havnt seen another deer buck or doe with him. So does this mean that hes the dominant buck in the area and dosent want to be with all the other bachelor bucks or there are no other bucks? Last summer this field of alfalfa was full of deer but this year theres only him

Comments

• jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Are you looking at the same time every night? Not all deer feed on the same schedule. Maybe that a lot of the deer are day feeders this early in the season. Dominance is not usually a factor this early but it can vary from state to state. Even then the does should be around. If you have the time/money, set up a camera (like a gametraker) and see what you capture and the times.

JuJu (just my .o2)
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    JuJU no Ive been going at random times but hes always alone. Ive seen him there between 9 pm and midnight always alone. Its just strange to be because last year I would see 10 deer in this field every night. I have the feeling this deer was here last year too and I know he survived deer season and the winter.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    If you dont see any more deer, have you walked the edge of the field to see how mnay trails are being used or if there are other droppings or tracks of varying sizes? Just because you dont see any between 9 and midnite isnt important, they could be feeding on acorns or other food sources at this time of year or they may be feeding at 3 to 6 in the am. I have a field in GA that you see deer everyday (just about) between 5 -6:30 pm almost like clockwork but you wont ever see em any other time, I know cause I put up a camera. Deer can/will respond to major minor feed times almost like fish. check your solunar tables and try to be there during those times.

JuJu (again, just my .02)
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Thanks JUJU Ill get right on this and see what i can come up with
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    Deer are creatures of habit as long as they are not pressured like during hunting season. When the season arrives their habits change. Available food also change their habits. I would not worry about not seeing many deer,being smart is how they get those big racks!

BTW,I am no deer expert,just ask the deer[:D]
    flag.gif
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    headzilla, Dang those big nocturnal rascals. Have you figured out a couple of spots to locate stands where you might catch him late of an evening or early in the morning this fall? We have refurbished about a dozen stands this summer - Home Depot loves us, we've probably spent more money there than at the Academy Sporting Goods store this year. We moved some of our stands and got some foodplots going where we've seen both deer (at night) travel lanes. If you're a hunter, good luck. If not, they sure are nice to look at anyway. Best, Jim

timbroman@aol.com
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunt for him when the moon is dark. Get out early in the morning or late in the evening. When the moon is full deer tend to tarvel under it's light and bed down during the day. In the dark phase they are forced to travel during dusk and dawn. As stated, they feed at different times and when the field is harvested they revert back to their favorite, acorns.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."