In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what kind of first aid kit ya got

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
at your house?

all i have is a generic cheapy{seriously need to upgrade}

Comments

• Options
    linthicumlinthicum Member Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toilet paper and duct tape. And you think you need a upgrade[:(]
  • Options
    aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    vodka and a lighter
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    I don't have a "first aid kit". We have bandages and peroxide stuff like that to deal with the scrapes from falling off bikes. We have nothing for any serious or long term damage though.

I'm planning on stocking up and things due to where we live. Food, water, ammo, ect, ect. Never know when a hurricane will come and plow us.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a FA kit I bought at costco a couple years ago, I added a couple things[:D] like haemostats and sutures[:0][:D]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have one, just a small variety of bandages and some peroxide.

What would Cubslover recommend?
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry two full load ER Kits in each vehicle. I have peroxide, alcohol, and bandaids in the house.

Each kit has....
    (bold items are recommended for a household kit)
    Blood Pressure kit (one is electronic)
    Trauma Pads
    3x3 and 4x4 gauze pads, 2 boxes of 10 of each
    gauze wraps
    med tape
    Emergency blanket
    Cold packs
    Hemostats
    Shears
    Tweezers
    Knife
    Bacitracin
    Burn Cream
    Pen Light
    Maxi-pads(they are super absorbent, non clinging, and sterile. They make CHEAP gauze pads)
    Tube for amputated appendage(finger, toe)
    Saline Solution, two bottles
    Alcohol (peroxide is recommended)
    Bandaids

Saline solution is a good cleaning solution. Of course it's great for rinsing eyes, but for small cuts and scrapes. It doesn't burn and is NOT an antiseptic.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a red hot poker and a stick to bite on.
  • Options
    AHansenAHansen Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a very extensive FA kit at home, and standared EMT FA kits in my cars. I even have one for the kids, basically a box of badaids.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two Ozark Trail Kits as recommended by the local Boy Scout council.
    One mini FA kit in each car.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    if you have no training, extensive supplies and equipment is wasted space. minor trauma supplies can be applies without much training/knowledge(if its wet and sticky put on something white and fluffy).

me persoanlly being a NREMT, i have a slightly expanded first in bag in the truck. basic stuff, plus a few extras
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have four Campmor Advanced Medical Kits with a few items extra added.
    Keep one in the car, one in the truck, one on the 4 wheeler and an extra that goes in/on whatever we may be riding that day (Jeep, Dune buggy etc).

If you have a first aid kit with aspirin, saline and such in it. Don't forget to replace those items every so often. For the can and do go bad over time.

================

Kev says
    "..if its wet and sticky put on something white and fluffy.."

Believe it or not guys/gals.

Instant Mashed Potatoes is one of the best products to use to stop bleeding... Something in it that clots blood very quickly.
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dads got an army bag behind the seat on his truck, dont know if mom has one.

Lots of stuff.

My aunt is an EMT, or something like that, never really thought about it
  • Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everything i could grab from the er[:D] my trauma bag is a med duty trauma use setup.. including airway, blood sugar & burn management
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Gauze pads and tape, butterflies, and Neosporin.....
    and records of the kids' last tetanus shot.....
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have a lot, but that comes from being a Paramedic. I dont keep much from my normal job but from my summer job I have then I know what to do with. In the summer I work on the forest fires. My normal set up for fires is enough stuff for advanced emergency care and then enough OTC clinical meds to take care of 100 people for about 3 days with out resuply. It is very common for me to be dropped off by helicopter with a couple of fire crews and left there for a few days. Most of the time if I really need something I can get it but ti will take at least a day and I don't want to be taking up vaulabe resources that could be used for firefighting.

Yes I have all this stuff at my house. All of the hard (non disposable) supplies are mine and the rest is stocked on the fires but is not returnable since they are considered disposable.
  • Options
    akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 ga. shotgun, ready to aid the first guys breathing that breaks into my house with a chestful of holes
  • Options
    phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1
    I learned the hard way that one needs to be in every car after I cut the *^##@_ out of my toe at the lake.I had one in my truck but not in Sharons car.Beer and a sock.Damn lucky It didnt get infected.I get small,Basic kits thru work.Every car on my place has one now including the Mule.Im looking into a first aid/cpr class,Its only 25 bucks.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I just carry a bottle of Vicodin
  • Options
    phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    I just carry a bottle of Vicodin

Lucky,Lucky,Lucky[:D][:D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    2 kits-both out of M1113's.
    and in the vehicles,just bandaids
    and Mcdonald napkins
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    TP to control bleeding and superglue to close small to medium cuts. Larger cuts, I use electrical tape in addition to the superglue. Seriously, I do superglue my cuts closed
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Zee Medical First Responder kit, is like what cubslover has, minus the Saline, plus splints, Triangle bandage, and some more pads and gauze and tape options...it sits with the grab and go kits by the front door. It also has bunch of Ammonia and Mercurochrome crush and dab (or snif) packs, and some other antiseptic and burn vials/packs.

Each car has one or two survival kits within - cyalumes, water, food and basic FA kits all in a nice strappy pack.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Care flight.....
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Corpsman medic bag with about everything you can cram in it, including a suture kit and a little somthing to ease SEVERE pain...Goes with me everywhere...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who needs a first aid kit? If someone gets hurt too bad, I just tell them goodbye. Don
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a dozen red roses and a box of chocolates to soothe any hurt feelings.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    A couple of Coast Guard approved commercial lifeboat first aid kits. In addition I keep antibiotics, a tub of burn cream, pain killers, and can perform emergency surgery. Along with the training to use it all. [;)]

A person doesn't need a lot of the good stuff if he already has the right stuff. Knowing WHAT to do beforehand is more important than having the proper equipment.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    All of our cars have first aid kits (Mercedes offers a very nice kit) and there is an ASNI approved kit in the house, the garage and in my work shop.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    About 15 pounds in each vehicle and 25-30 pounds in the house.

Plus a week's supply of drugs for my life-threatening ailments.

Plus about 100 narcotic based pain killers in each location.

Doug
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gauze, pads, tape, butterflies, neosporin, polysporin, burn cream, bandaids, hemostats, thread, needles, alcohol, peroxide, betadine liquid, etc., etc., QT. WHISKEY.

This is just the kit in my shop!!![;)][:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear a good belt to cut off bleeding if needed.