Tire Question ??

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
I've got a set of new Uniroyal Laredo AWT tires on an F-250. What should they be inflated to psi wise?

For some reason they've got them inflated to 75 psi. Max load rating on the tire reads at 65 psi (on the tire). Sure seems like they might be over inflated. Whaddya think?

Yes, it's hot (over 100) here and the truck has driven on the highway in the last two hours.

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    75 psi is way to much. Like badwrench suggested check the tire info inside the drivers door. Tires are set cold, so check them cold and don't let air out of them if you check them hot and they are high.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Vehicle manufacturer's placards (ref. tires) are not placing the tires as their first consideration. They are concerned with the value of the ride, suspension "bounce", etc. and fuel economy.

No one knows better than the tire mfr's. what's best for the tires. Inflate cold (first thing in the A.M.) to max listed on the sidewall minus about 5PSI.

Best, Joe
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member, Moderator Posts: 11,274 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    75 psi is way to much. Like badwrench suggested check the tire info inside the drivers door. Tires are set cold, so check them cold and don't let air out of them if you check them hot and they are high.

Checking what is says on the truck itself is not the correct answer... unless you are still using the OEM tires!

To give you an example, the sticker on the inside post of the driver's door on my truck says 65 psi. The Goodyear tires I put on my truck (after wearing out the OEM Michelin tires) have a maximum inflation pressure of just 50 psi! You should always look at and use the information molded into the sidewall of the tires you are driving on.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member, Moderator Posts: 11,274 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I've got a set of new Uniroyal Laredo AWT tires on an F-250. What should they be inflated to psi wise?

For some reason they've got them inflated to 75 psi. Max load rating on the tire reads at 65 psi (on the tire). Sure seems like they might be over inflated. Whaddya think?

Yes, it's hot (over 100) here and the truck has driven on the highway in the last two hours.

Yes, the are way over inflated! Reduce the air pressure to the recommended pressure shown on the tire itself.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tire placard on the vehicle is the only safe way to go as long as you are using the same size tires the vehicle was designed to use. To over or under inflate from that is risking sometimes serious handling problems.
    edited November -1
    Good point Bert.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay...as I thought.

What constitutes a "cold" tire. Is four (4) hours in the shade, in the garage, 'cold'?

I'm gonna' air them down to 65 psi.

Think they're cold yet?

edit: Thanks guys for the info!!
    edited November -1
    Tomorrow morning.
  • bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee...your tires are like a lot of opinions on the forum...hot and overinflated!
  • wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    depending on the tire, if you have a truck tire or a passenger tire, either way you are way over inflation.

if you have for instance p205/75r16 then you have a passenger tire i wouldnt go much over 45 psi

if it is lt205/75r116 light truck then not much over 62 or 65 psi.

the numbers on your tires may be different but what you are looking at is whether it is a p or lt
    also those max inflations are listed for consideration of hauling a load. notice the tire will say so many pounds at max inflation of so many psi. if you arent hauling a load on a regular basis. then go with a lower inflation smoother ride and better tire wear.
    the lower the pressure the more of the tread touches the road. you dont want to go to low, then the sidewall runs on the road big problem.

if you over inflate your tires you have a high spot in the center of the tread that will wear out sooner then the rest of the tread.

i realize that some of yall may think that i am full of bull snot, and on somethings i probably am (who isnt?) but i do know tires
    sold them, mounted, balanced, rotated, repaired them for six years.
    if the people who sold you the tires are the ones who inflated them, they are looking for repeat business because that will destroy a tire over time. then they will tell you that warranty is no good because the tire was obviously overinflated otherwise it wouldnt have wore that way. id give someone a thorough a55 chewing
    edited November -1
    Okay...

So I let the tires cool off and checked them this morning. They were all at 65 psi or lower (rears were 65 psi) (fronts were 60 psi).

Checked them again tonight when they had about 60 miles on them (hot) and they were 75 psi and 70, respectively.

Good tires, but they're fluctuating 10 psi or better.

edit: here's the truck...

F250_R.jpg
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same tires on my old truck (dodge) I ran them at 40 psi. The new Uniroyal tires I have on my truck are also at 40, or somewhere between 35 and 40.
  • CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They might have meant to put 65 in them. Alot of tire places gauges aren't accurate.
    edited November -1
    FCD, if you haven't looked on Uniroyal's website you need to. You may be way over inflated.
    edited November -1
    Sidewall has 65 psi molded into it. I checked the pressure in the morning and it was about 62. So I left it.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 27,192
    edited November -1
    YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO ALLOW AT LEAST TEN POUNDS WHEN THEIR HOT....test THEM IN THE MORNING WHEN YOU HAVEN'T DROVE IT FOR AT LEAST FOR fOUR HOURS....EVEN THREE MILE WILL RAISE THE PRESSURE... THATS WHY ITS SAYS RIGHT ON THEM (COLD PRESSURE)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Sidewall has 65 psi molded into it. I checked the pressure in the morning and it was about 62. So I left it.

You have the heavy duty ones then. The regular tires are not that high.
    edited November -1
    LT285/75R16/ Load Range "D"

Website says 65psi also.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,815
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Vehicle manufacturer's placards (ref. tires) are not placing the tires as their first consideration. They are concerned with the value of the ride, suspension "bounce", etc. and fuel economy.

No one knows better than the tire mfr's. what's best for the tires. Inflate cold (first thing in the A.M.) to max listed on the sidewall minus about 5PSI.

Best, Joe

I can tell you that following your methiod with at least one vehicle I'm familier with is a fast way to kill yourself (and the biggest reason for accidents with that vehicle).
    Factory spec called for 16 front, 28 rear. Only a idiot would drive one at 32psi all the way around.
    edited November -1
    These are "truck" tires.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 63,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will be fine with 65 in them or the max. Biggest problem with trucks is that 1/2 tons come with car tires on them or 4 ply. 3/4's come with load range D or 6 ply. One tons use load range E or 8-10 ply. You can use load range E's when they need replaced. They will haul more and inflate to 80 #,s. Heat is what destroys a tire when hauling.