In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8MM AMMO

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I don't know a lot about 8mm. I believe it's 7.92x57 and has about the same punch as 30.06, correct?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have 900 rounds plus 1 5.56 ammo can and 1 large proximity fuse can full of Turkish ammo I don't need. Thinking of taking it to a gun show this weekend and trying to sell or trade it. All on stripper clips and in bandoleers. Whats it worth? It is corrisive but looks great. very clean on the outside. I guess its all Turkish. Some of the bandoleers are grey and some are green. May be cheaper in the long run to buy a gun and shoot it! Thought about trying to trade it 2 for 1 for ammo I could use. Give me some ideas guys.
  • Options
    chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry dont mean to hyjack your thread, you just reminded me. I have a few 8 mm wooden bullets. Someone, I dont remember who said they were illeagle cause you cant do bullistics with them. Is this true?
    I know its probably a stupid question but oh well. Ive been called worse than stupid, and that was tonight.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like .25/round on the auction side. A few are asking .30/round but I have not seen it sell at that price.

The wooden bullets are for blanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    Looks like .25/round on the auction side. A few are asking .30/round but I have not seen it sell at that price.

The wooden bullets are for blanks.

I was told it was from ww2 that they spintered when entering body and really messed people up. Its a 8mm round with a wooden tip instead of lead.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wooden bullets are for practice, more or less as blanks.
    Wood is so light, compared to lead, that it would not carry downrange very well.
    I wouldn't want to get hit with a wooden bullet at 10 feet, I am sure it would splinter and cause massive wounds.
    But, at 100 yards it probably would bounce off.

The Swedes made lots of wooden bullets, they had a special wooden bullet catcher that screwed on to the muzzle to catch, and fragment the bullet in practice. Ruined a lot of Swede Mausers by threading the muzzle for that damn wooden bullet catcher, and I have two of them.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold all my Turk for $15.00 a bandoleer of 70 rounds.

That seemed to be the ceiling. When I tried $20.00 no one bought.

Not ideal for a K98k but good blasting ammo.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M48 Mauser I had loved the Turkish ammo, corrosive or not, it shot inside 2", and it was loaded pretty stiff. If I were you, I'd pick up a Turkish, M48, or VZ24 Mauser and have fun shooting it all.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when that Turk ammo was at all the gun shows, $4 per bandoleer. Wasn't that long ago.
    Two years ago I bought a box of 10 bandos from an outfit in Johnson City Tennessee, $38 out the door for 700 rounds.
    They told me the stuff came in in big shipping containers, each container had over 1,000 pounds of Turk ammo in it. They had to unload the containers from the truck with a fork lift.
    They still had 3 unopened containers in the back of the store.
    The country was awash in cheap Turk ammo a few years ago, those days are gone.
  • Options
    team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bought 900 rounds of yugo from widener's a little over a year ago for 90 bucks...looking at the going rate now of over 250.00 i got a steal but i am still sitting on all of it..no time to shoot[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also have 30-06. some military and some commercial. I have about 2/3 of a 50 cal can. Is it worth anything or just better to keep it?
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No telling but if one thing is likely to rise at all in value in this poor economy it is ammunition of all types.

I remember when Wideners jumped the price from $59.99 a tin of 900 Yugo to $89.99. They usually got $69.99 but weren't selling much so dropped ten bucks off.

I bought a couple but why keep it around when it will always be cheap and available???

With thinking like that its a good thing I don't play Wall Street!!

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got me thinking,i have a bunch of WWII German 8mm some marked for MG is it ok to shoot in a rifle ? I was thinking that i read somewhere it had something to do with how the case was crimped to the bullet or was it a powder thing ?
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when the Turk Mausers were $59 and the ammo was $89 per case I bought one of each then a second case of ammo ... this was 6, 7 or 8 years ago.

Although I don't shoot it much, its a hoot to shoot! I ended up sporterizing the rifle, bent bolt & scoped, shortened the barrel to 20" and its pretty handy now ... how many people can brag about having a centerfire rifle and 2,000 rounds of ammo for less than $250!
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiligunguy
    Sorry dont mean to hyjack your thread, you just reminded me. I have a few 8 mm wooden bullets. Someone, I dont remember who said they were illeagle cause you cant do bullistics with them. Is this true?

"Someone (I don't remember who)" is Full of Chit

The wood bullets come in a couple types, training blanks and Grenade blanks (that's the reason for the various colors, to tell them apart). The bullets tend to splinter in the rifling and those that don't shatter just past the muzzle. The Sweed muzzle device was intended to cut the bullet to insure fragmentation (again it was used as a practice device).
    BTW, A lot of countries (including the US) used wood bullet blanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    quote:Originally posted by chiligunguy

"Someone (I don't remember who)" is Full of Chit

The wood bullets come in a couple types, training blanks and Grenade blanks (that's the reason for the various colors, to tell them apart). The bullets tend to splinter in the rifling and those that don't shatter just past the muzzle. The Sweed muzzle device was intended to cut the bullet to insure fragmentation (again it was used as a practice device).
    BTW, A lot of countries (including the US) used wood bullet blanks.

Thanks for the info!! Always learning something huh. I think it was the guy who sold me the tin of ammo that told me all the horse hocky, most of tin had reg 8mm but had about 10 or so wooden.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    I also have 30-06. some military and some commercial. I have about 2/3 of a 50 cal can. Is it worth anything or just better to keep it?

Keep it. Use it for a barter trade. Never know when you will get a deal on a 06' and then not have any ammo. It ain't getting any cheaper.