.

What is the most compact and lightest 9mm?

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in General Discussion
Hoping somebody has already researched this so I won't have to do it.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 36,481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is the Kel-Tec PF-9 14.6 ounces (empty)
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my single stack Kel-Tec.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    My guess is the Kel-Tec PF-9 14.6 ounces (empty)


    My guess was going to be exactly that. Just (30 min. ago, looked at a PF-9.) I own a Kel-Tec P11. (Double stack.) Could have sworn, I saw a smaller 9mm. Drawing a blank, as to what it was.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,088 ******
    edited November -1
    I am currently carrying a Colt Pocket Nine. I didn't weigh it, but it's not a lot bigger or heavier than my Colt Pony Pocketlite, and it's a full 9mm.

    Good luck finding one though. This one is the second one I have ever seen.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    The ruger lcr 9mm revolver should be lightweight![:)]
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc i have a Springfield XDs that is not to heavy to carry everyday. It is a great shooter.

    For some reason i like Springfield guns. I also love my XD 45 with the 5 inch barrel.

    I also have a Springfield 45 Loaded with crimson trace night sights. I really love that one also.
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Love my single stack Kel-Tec.


    +1
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 27,861 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    My guess is the Kel-Tec PF-9 14.6 ounces (empty)
    +1 What Gary said.
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    In a G&A test of most small 9mm's, one of the best was the Taurus 709 Slim. Everyone was surprised it shot the best groups, and never had a stoppage. They kept shooting for over a thousand rounds without a problem, and only a couple of other models, the Glock 43 and Walther PPS, did the same. The Taurus costs about half as much though.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    In a G&A test of most small 9mm's, one of the best was the Taurus 709 Slim. Everyone was surprised it shot the best groups, and never had a stoppage. They kept shooting for over a thousand rounds without a problem, and only a couple of other models, the Glock 43 and Walther PPS, did the same. The Taurus costs about half as much though.


    I could be wrong, but I believe the Taurus 709 slim, was the smaller, of the 9's I looked at.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 27,861 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    In a G&A test of most small 9mm's, one of the best was the Taurus 709 Slim. Everyone was surprised it shot the best groups, and never had a stoppage. They kept shooting for over a thousand rounds without a problem, and only a couple of other models, the Glock 43 and Walther PPS, did the same. The Taurus costs about half as much though.


    I could be wrong, but I believe the Taurus 709 slim, was the smaller, of the 9's I looked at.
    Kel Tec 12.7 oz./ Taurus 19oz
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess would be a pen gun.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roughbrough
    Kel-tek
    Khar

    If we are talking serviceable reliable functional normal production ccw semiautomatic pistols chambered in 9mm luger...

    Must be over 1000 total pieces of production

    May be an in-house manufactures custom shop special edition

    Must have a 6-7 round minimum magazine capacity (stock issue mag not an extended variant

    Can anyone care to post the empty gun with magazine weights of my suggestion???

    Mike
  • AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glock makes a 10 not much bigger than the 9mm.

    I believe it is the G29 10 round.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 62,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    In a G&A test of most small 9mm's, one of the best was the Taurus 709 Slim. Everyone was surprised it shot the best groups, and never had a stoppage. They kept shooting for over a thousand rounds without a problem, and only a couple of other models, the Glock 43 and Walther PPS, did the same. The Taurus costs about half as much though.


    I could be wrong, but I believe the Taurus 709 slim, was the smaller, of the 9's I looked at.


    I think there are a couple lighter and smaller than the Taurus, but one thing the testers said was the Kel-tek being very light, beat the hell out of their shooting hands and it was the only one they wore gloves shooting. Of course, most of us don't shoot 600 rounds non stop.[8D]
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it is the Kimber micro. It is supposed to be the same size as the taurus 709 slim but it is 3oz lighter. The mag holds one less I think.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601
    edited November -1
    Nod to Kahr
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 62,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Roughbrough
    Kel-tek
    Khar

    If we are talking serviceable reliable functional normal production ccw semiautomatic pistols chambered in 9mm luger...

    Must be over 1000 total pieces of production

    May be an in-house manufactures custom shop special edition

    Must have a 6-7 round minimum magazine capacity (stock issue mag not an extended variant

    Can anyone care to post the empty gun with magazine weights of my suggestion???

    Mike



    Rohrbaugh

    http://gunblast.com/Rohrbaugh.htm
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry a Kahr PM9 everyday. Love it!
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc I'm looking for a pocket nine right now and its worth it to watch utube videos of people shooting them. As Fideau said earlier some of them beat up the shooters hands and some just as light didn't. Several posters like the Kel-tek but in the videos Kel-teks had the most problems, pins walking out, magazines dropping out and sights falling off to name some. I want to narrow the field and then get some range time. My local range will let me shoot any or all of their house guns for only a 5.00 charge.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer your question the Diamondback DB9 is the lightest followed by the Kel-tek. The lightest and smallest that the majority of the testers liked was the Kahr. Some complained about the trigger on the Kahr though. Walther, S&W, Springfield, Glock and the Taurus slim were the better liked pistols depending on the shooters tastes.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Khar cm9 is 14 ounces. Weight loaded of course will depend on what load you use. It is .9 inches wide. The others I don't know. I think the db9 might be thinner and lighter...don't know if the quality control is there yet.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Amish
    Glock makes a 10 not much bigger than the 9mm.

    I believe it is the G29 10 round.


    The G29S is significantly larger than a G43, it is about the same dimensions of a G19 only wider in the frame. It would be huge compared to a Kel Tec PF-9.


    Doubt you'll find anything substantially lighter than a PF-9. I just wish Kel Tec would figure out a decent trigger.
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This would be a carry gun and not a plinker. Carry guns are usually not fun to shoot (although my Taurus TCP 380 really isn't bad at all).

    I will hit Academy, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain and see what they have for me to examine in person. Thanks for the tips.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 48,547 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Honor Guard is 22 ounces. Single stack 9.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    This would be a carry gun and not a plinker. Carry guns are usually not fun to shoot (although my Taurus TCP 380 really isn't bad at all).

    I will hit Academy, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain and see what they have for me to examine in person. Thanks for the tips.


    The PF-9 is not unpleasant, it is quite manageable. I know quite a few officers that use them as back ups. I've shot a few, very short action, light and handy.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think 115's are the lightest that I've got ... I've got some 90's but I typically save them for loading 380's

    [}:)]
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt Cobra 38 Special. It has an alloy frame and weights like 18 ounces. Brutal recoil.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 62,759 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just remember a short barrel will not hit as hard as a longer barrel. My DB9 does not make 345 ft pds of energy out of a short barrel a normal 4" barrel would make.

    http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/
Sign In or Register to comment.