Pocket watch?

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
How many of you carry a pocket watch?

I love watches in general (not the digital kind), but I especially love pocket watches. I only have one anymore (my other one died), but there's just something special about a pocket watch. Aside from the practicality of not having to wear something on your wrist, for me it also brings back a sort of historical sense. There's also something unique about the personal nature of a pocket watch. A pocket watch really only shares the time with its owner for the most part.

Anyone else like pocket watches? Anymore they're pretty hard to even find.

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just use my cell phone these days.
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a file pic of mine. It's just a gun metal el-cheapo, but it keeps really great time.

pocketwatch_zpsde5b93bf.jpg
  • peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I have four ---- all modern watches.
    two are quartz and two are wind up.
    I have them because I just like pocket watches.
    It will not be long and it will be impossible to find a watch, even a wrist watch. All the young people use there cell phones -- I hate cell phones.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the Victorinox until I found out they needed batteries. And they had a belt holsters which I liked the idea. Then you're talking to a guy who hasn't worn a watch since '04-ish? And no cell phone. I'll be damned if I make the cops/feds to catch me easy [:D].
  • arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few old ones that I have had cleaned and oiled years ago. I used to carry one and all the time, and have always enjoyed them a bunch.
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a couple hundred vintage American pocket watches and usually carry one with me on Sunday. I repair vintage watches in my spare time.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    yaaa, i love'em, especially my Grandfathers Gold Pocket Watch

6927.jpg

NOT my Grandpa's watch but very similar
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,482 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one on the left belonged to my Grandfather,,,,I've had the 'privilege' of carrying it for the last 52 years. [;)]

The one on the right has 'mystified' me for the past 33 years. [:0]

008.jpg
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    yep ...got into it many years ago and have several..even a couple of my grandads..friend of mine had a multicolored gold with ruby jewels...had a guide book then that was quite informative..bet there is a new issue out...always wondered how they made the machinery that made all the tiny parts for mechanical watches...interesting combos of the different style cases and works..always liked the hunter style case
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have 3, both grandfathers and one I use
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Not fancy, I just like it because it's old. Still runs. Key wind, circa 1880 Elgin, with a couple other period items.

CIMG1344.jpg
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them too

I carry a small one that I got from Field & Stream it has a compass underneath the watch part el cheap o but I like it

I have some old big ones that were my Grandpa's
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Damn, take that switch off full auto![:D]
  • danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the size of the picture.
    My Fathers from his time on board ship,1944-1946.
    [img][/img]IMGP0859.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dg101win
    Sorry about the size of the picture.
    My Fathers from his time on board ship,1944-1946.
    [img][/img]IMGP0859.jpg

That's a pretty cool watch! You don't often see true 24 hour movements like that. Usually they're just normal 12 hour movements with the numbers 13-24 superimposed on the inside of the '12' numbers.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two...the Hamilton 917 (the "good" one) and the $10 Quartz that gets me through each day.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    The one on the left belonged to my Grandfather,,,,I've had the 'privilege' of carrying it for the last 52 years. [;)]

The one on the right has 'mystified' me for the past 33 years. [:0]

008.jpg

Very nice! I like the leather lanyard.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Not fancy, I just like it because it's old. Still runs. Key wind, circa 1880 Elgin, with a couple other period items.

CIMG1344.jpg

Love the picture...and the watch!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 48,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrist watch, and that rarely any more, mostly look at my cell.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,233 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mu father left me a Waltham Rail Road Watch! I keep it in the safe.
  • ChampionhilzChampionhilz Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was my grandfather's pocket watch - a Swiss-made Winton. I think it was probably made circa 1930s:

IMG_4649_zps3f50e219.jpg

This was my father's pocket watch - it was given to him when he retired after 38 years in his job:

IMG_4650_zpsa4745345.jpg

And this is my pocket watch - a Hamilton made circa 1899 - it's a lever wind, and the ticking is very loud, but I love it!

IMG_4644_zps3d4fa7d3.jpg
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 13,100
    edited November -1
    I have several but to keep them from getting all scratched up in my pocket I carry one of thos $15.00 ones that snaps on to my belt loop.
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Wenger that came with a Swiss Army Knife.
    P9010093_zpsc445fd39.jpg
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,632 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had several over the years...

The newest one I got as a wedding gift from my daughter and new son-in-law to commemorate their wedding.
    It's a Danbury - 17 jewels with Figaro chain fob.

213kll.jpg

I currently carry an electric 'Remington' with a Miyota 2115 Japanese Movement
    I got for less than $20 years ago... Now they go for about $75.

34i5wlw.jpg
    jsdbms.jpg

I like a pocket watch over a wrist watch in that I usually end up breaking the crystal of a wrist watch.
    And a pocket watch doesn't make my skin breakout... From a reaction with sweat.

Pics off the web... I'm lazy today. [:D]
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My grandmother was married five times and outlived them all. Here are three of their pocket watches and her pin on watch. The silver colored one is a SantaFe railroad watch with a side wind.

watches.jpg

Here is a close up of the fobs. I think the 1908 Fort Riley one is pretty cool.

watch%2520fobs.jpg
    standard.jpg
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    I also carry a pocket watch. This was my grandfathers, given to him by his oldest son.
    566068_4586736985406_899623819_n.jpg?

I've had this one since birth.
    566007_4586706904654_1471019860_n.jpg?oh=102eb21c6a0bd7c165f9c05a38f94891&oe=5225BCEC

This is my great grandfather Giuseppe Taconelli's pocket watch. He worked for Ford motor company and the heart was dipped from all the colors they painted the cars/trucks.

11818_3586162171661_1287014911_n.jpg

I have a swiss pocket watch that my wife gave me for carry.
    edited November -1
    Here's a better (actual) picture of the one I've got...

pktwtch2_zps0156d14a.jpg

It's pretty nice for a low budget one.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,829
    edited November -1
    I haven't carried one yet, but I have 4 of them, all Elgin, 3 were gifts to me from an elderly friend that passed away 4 years ago! He gave them to me for helping him through the years running errands and helping him around the house, he didn't have any kids. I told him that he should have given them to a family member, and he said that his family wouldn't appreciate them like I would, and he was right!

When he passed away, his nieces ransacked the house for anything valuable and sold it immediately for the money, very sad!

He died in 2009, he was 92 years old, he gave me his fathers and grandfathers watches and his mother's, one was made in 1880, one in 1886 and his mother's which is quite a bit smaller was made in 1906. The other one I had got from a friend of my dad's, it's an open face white gold filled Elgin.
    He also gave me a uncirculated $3 United States Gold Coin, he was very good to me!
    I'm in the process of taking an old rope necklace of mine, and making a pocket watch chain with maybe a gold coin at the end, then i'll wear one of the watches when I get dressed up to go out to dinner.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,632 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    I haven't carried one yet, but I have 4 of them, all Elgin, 3 were gifts to me from an elderly friend that passed away 4 years ago! He gave them to me for helping him through the years running errands and helping him around the house, he didn't have any kids. I told him that he should have given them to a family member, and he said that his family wouldn't appreciate them like I would, and he was right!

When he passed away, his nieces ransacked the house for anything valuable and sold it immediately for the money, very sad!

He died in 2009, he was 92 years old, he gave me his fathers and grandfathers watches and his mother's, one was made in 1880, one in 1886 and his mother's which is quite a bit smaller was made in 1906. The other one I had got from a friend of my dad's, it's an open face white gold filled Elgin.
    He also gave me a uncirculated $3 United States Gold Coin, he was very good to me!
    I'm in the process of taking an old rope necklace of mine, and making a pocket watch chain with maybe a gold coin at the end, then i'll wear one of the watches when I get dressed up to go out to dinner.
    Cool... And I've personally seen family do that. Very sad indeed. [V]
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 36,545 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top one belonged to my Grandfather
    [img][/img]aa8db065-76ab-4d1c-b0c5-a287a51d19c8_zpse7933e23.jpg
    My everyday one given to me by my wife on my 40th birthday
    [img][/img]069_zps0198ee3d.jpg
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 38,925
    edited November -1
    I have seen family move an old one out to a rest home so they could live in the house...see a family refuse to pay more that 1/2 of what they owed for a quarter of ground bought from older member...told her they would never speak to her again if she didn't go for it...seen the only family member that actually farmed get thrown off ground by older owner who believed their greed when the rest of the non farming family wanted the money..family sucks...I don't know who to take some of the old pocket watches to around here to be cleaned or fixed ...somewhere years ago I bought a bunch of the glass dome display cases with round wood base...setting in a safe hanging watches
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango

The greatest tribute you could do for your friend with those watches is to use them regularly. Show them off, and tell his story every time you pull one out to see what time it is and people ask about them.
  • Leeroy JenkinsLeeroy Jenkins Member Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My cell phone is my watch these days. Haven't worn a wrist watch in years.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 30,836 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few. Don

100_1564.jpg

An old Hamilton that juju gave me.

100_1568.jpg
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just had to bid on this one.

_057h4.jpg