In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

buying firearms out of the classifieds

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
A post below got me to thinking,which in it self is a very dangerous thing.I have never lived in a state where I could not pick up the sunday paper and buy almost any type gun I want,There were 72 listed last Sunday,may take me a few weeks to find the one I want but you call the phone#,give the owner cash in hand and take it home.The most the owner might ask you for is you drivers lic # just incase down the road the gun shows up somewhere it should not so he can show who it was sold too.Now I'm talking person to person sale,no FFL,no paperwork,no background check,no owners card, just cash and carry.Around here its not that uncommon to buy a good gun at a yard sale,I have bought several .22's and shotguns and one 1911 this way.Other than Commyfornia,what other states require stupid things to buy/sell a firearm.I want to make sure I never move to one of them.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I rarely see firearms in my local paper. There are some in the Dallas paper, but that is a long way to go for one gun, for me anyway. What I have found out about guns in the paper, is that if they are attractively priced, they are gone when I call.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    WI just about any paper will have a firearm section , local auctions sell them , face to face no problem , i buy and sale this way any time i can
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    In my area, the local paper is owned by the New York Times, therefore, no "guns for sale" are allowed. Some people have slipped some by in the sporting goods section but they got wise to that.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    In Florida it depends on which county your in, as to where you can buy a gun.. some counties you can get em at Flea mkts, Now we have FFLs opening in Flea Mkts, which I thought was against Federal Law.. Some papers are run by communists and dont allow Guns to be advertised.. Face to Face sales in this state are not regulated, however you better be sure of who your selling a gun to.. No selling to a person from a different state, must be resident of Florida.And you better not Knowingly sell to a Minor...

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't found deals for a long long time in the papers. If you do find one the gun is usually not the same as advertised in perfect shape.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Denver 2 major newspapers do not allow firearms for sale, other than by FFL's.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Kansas any FTF sales are allowed. Firearms are regularly advertised in the classifieds. I have bought guns at estate, garage sales, gun shows and even parking lots. I just found a rare old Winchester bolt action .22 short yesterday at a junk, flea, garage type sale. For any of you that are interested, it is a model 56 .22 short made between 1926-1929.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In GA & AL all person-to-person sales are legal except Class III firearms and otherwise banned/outlawed firearms. No paperwork required, just cash and carry. But, both the buyer and seller should

exchange driver's licence numbers (or copies) and personal information, and duel copies of a bill of sale, witnessed by another.

I always completed my per-to-per cash and carry transfers in a gunstore with the dealer as a witness to the bill of sale.

Just some advice
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    I find better Florida deals here,

http://floridashootersnetwork.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=10

than my local papers. [}:)]
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I'll bet the anti's are just LOVIN' reading THIS thread!![:0]

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Just curious, unless it's against some local law, what is the difference between buying a firearm or a lawnmower FTF.

And I really don't care what the anti's read unless it's a brainless rant. If they don't read it someplace, they'll probably just make it up anyway.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't come here. (Kommifornia) Any firearms sales between private parties have to go through a FFL. They charge an arm & a leg plus the state fees. In addition they hold the firearm for ten days.
    Very rare to see a firearm for sale by private party in the newspaper.
    Auction sales are even worse since almost all dealers charge far more yet to act as the recieving agent.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    private transfers are legal wihtout a dealer. a private sale form must be completed with all the guns specs, permit number of both seller and buyer along with all teh usual personal info. no waiting.

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    I haven't found deals for a long long time in the papers. If you do find one the gun is usually not the same as advertised in perfect shape.

This is true, but if its not what you expected you dont buy it. on the other hand, these auction sites on the net have inherent risk because you dont get to hold the gun before you buy. This along with shady sellers makes buying guns on the net just a risky. Caveat etc..
  • Options
    hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    In UT just about any paper will have a firearm section also, thats how I found all of mine

cash-and-walk.

But I don't park cloes to the location that I am buying the gun from I park down around the conner and walk back, pay cash, walk a way.

100,000 [:)] lemmings [:)]can't be wrong

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do a fair amount of traveling and I always look for guns in the classified ads of local newspapers. I have never bought such a gun, even at home in Indiana. I can not rember a state that I visited that did not have guns for sale in a newspaper, including some big cities.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Just sold a 1919a4 semi on Gunbroker.

Come to find out the winning bidder is a local flying squid officer.

Expect to see him this weekend face to face at the house.

This is not the norm for me, but since he is a officer & a squid, is the only reason that I would allow him at my home.

Normaly, I have them meet me at work, for a local sale.
    Semper Fi
    Walte