In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OFF ROAD diesel FUEL VS heating oil ?

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
edited September 2013 in General Discussion
I have a small John Deere YANMAR Diesel. 23 HP. I know I can Buy fuel at a SERVICE station that sells DIESEL for Highway use. But on a small farm tractor Can I substitute Fuel oil that is used in my oil fired furnace [?][?]

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yes you can, and depending on your furnace, you might already be burning #2 fuel oil. You are either burning #1, or #2 fuel in your furnace, and either will be just fine in your tractor.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Non "road-use" Diesel is colored RED...
    FIne for off-road use.
    Get caught with RED diesel in your highway truck....[xx(]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    about the only difference is the color of dye they put in it.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    No. # 1 fuel oil is straight kerosene and if you put that in you diesel tractor it has very little lubrication in it. You diesel injector pump and injectors will be toast quick. Get the regular diesel #2 that is used in vehicle/equipment motors. I have four tractors and have a farm tax id. I call the Coop and they deliver without road tax, but it does have red dye in it. If caught using this in highway vehicles you are in a world of sheet.
    Guess you never been in cold country?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Guess you never been in cold country?"...........how about NORTHERN WISCONSIN? I burn #2 diesel in my tractor, just add some diesel 911 when it gets REAL cold (-10 or lower). some gas stations up here have dedicated pumps for 'off road' fuel.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a long time since I ran the AMOCO delivery tank wagon but I still remember what I was taught. #2 (furnace oil) was suitable for use in most older diesel engines especially CAT. #1 (kerosene) has too little lubing characteristics(more like a solvent) and was not recommended to use straight on hard pulls, warm weather, or newer engines. Mixing #1 with #2 at a rate of 1 to 3 or 4 was suitable for cold weather in the Midwest.
    My current fuel supplier won't deliver straight #1 to a tank that's used for engine fuel w/o measuring and proportioning to these rates. You can do as you wish but I would strain/filter any fuel you take out of a static supply like a furnace oil tank. Nothing like a dose of "fuel worms" in your equipment to ruin you day(and several days following).
    Heating oil may not have important additives that help prolong injector/engine life and would definitely be out of the question in a unit under warranty.