In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever Get Scoped?

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited August 2003 in General Discussion
While deer hunting peering through your binoculars did you ever come eye to eye with a bozo scoping you? Someone using their rifle scope as a substitute for binoculars who is taking more than an inadvertant glance.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.<BR>

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but I did see a nice blob of orange in the distance beyond a deer I was going to take... I waited for a bit 'til the deer got probably 60 degrees away from the "orange blob" then took it cleanly.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine asked me to supervise his 16-year-old brother on a whitetail hunt last year while he took off to another part of their property to bag his own. I was checking out the area with my binos after the sun started peeking out. While I was looking one direction apparently Judd was scoping out some movement in the valley below us. I turned and asked him what he was peering at through the forest. He told me that there was some guy down there hunting on their property and he was just keeping an eye on him with the scope. I gave him a verbal tongue-lashing, sat his *** up against the tree and told him to pour me a cup of coffee because there wasn't going to be anymore hunting that day until a few things were cleared up.

I've made my own mistakes in the past. I've climbed into treestands with firearm cross-slung over my back (not loaded) and I've spent hours in tree-stands without safety harnesses. None of us are perfect but we have to watch eachother's back.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to think that no one would use their scope
    to be watching me, but you never know about people.
    It would piss me off real good if I was to have that happen.
    I`m not sure how I would handle the situation. I usually go
    off with out thinking but not as much as I did when I was younger.
    I would just like to think that no one would put me into that situation.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have hunted since 1960. My first scope was purchased in 1964. I was taught-never to aim a gun at anything I did not intend to kill. I have followed these rules. I carry small compact Nikons to look for my
    hunting partner. I would never ever put a scope on an individual, even knowing that this person was well out of range of my projectile.
    Yes, I have had an idiot view me through his scope. That was in Ca. I hunt Utah where we have a mountain to ourselves. Have never had another, to my knowledge, scope me. Common sense dictates hunter safety. Unfortunately, some indivuals lack sense. Good subject matter
    gunpaq. 101
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Lots of the older members have been scoped, pays to have them rectal exams at our age![:I][:I]

pa.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was coming out of the brush, and when I got to a clear area a fellow was sitting there with his shotgun pointing right at me. Thats the last time I hunted that place.

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
    -David Hume
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Not that I know of,but my dad has.
    Years ago(40 or so),never went deer hunting again.[:(][:(][:(]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Funny - They make scopes and binoculars. Both have a purpose and I've never had a set of binoculars with a deadly weapon attached by a set of scope rings.

Somehow there seems to be a group of hunters who have forgotten that a gun isn't to be pointed without the intention of shooting. Passing over a hunter by accident is one thing. Scoping a hunter is another.

I've had it happen. It's something one can somehow feel. In most cases I've found it in my best interest to be somewhere else. In a couple instances I've felt it best to take cover and prepare to defend myself. Not a nice feeling either way.

Nord
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the NY State Hunter's Education courses I teach I stress that a scope is never to be used in this manner. However, to answer your question, YES I have, and many times. When I was in sniper school we were always doing this, and we had to, it was part of the taskings. We had to scope the area to see if we could find other hidden snipers all the time, and it was done in return. Thi was in a controlled environment, and there was no loaded fire arm anywhere except on a range. In the hunting woods it is not that way. Every single gun that is aimed at you is going to be loaded, and possibly even off safe.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I did that to somebody, once. We had some PETA people walking the property line during firearm deer season (in an attempt to scare the deer away from the hunters) and I got pi$$ed off and watched the people through my scope. My father found out what I was doing and got pretty upset. Needless to say, I learned my lesson and am thankful that my mistake didn't hurt anyone. [V]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes,...I have been scoped.

Yes,..I have scoped.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shame on you JustC![:0]

I was shot at once. Fortunately the Bozo missed, I dropped and watch and when he moved I put a broadhead in the tree behind him. Never saw him again, but I sure would have been tempted if I had.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you, He Dog!! That sound shot clown must have had chocolate stains the length of his pant legs.

I've been shot at twice, which turned me off of deer hunting 4ever.
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was hunting with a friend and we were to meet on a hill. When I got there he said he watched me thru his scope as I approched 300 yards away. He was/is an idiot and I have nothing to do with him today.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I see movement I will use scope to get better view.
    If I see it is another person I quit.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    How about sitting in a tree in Viet Nam with the old Infra-Red scope. Finally turn it on only to see a big bright dot looking right back at you. That will make your blood run cold!

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry folks, but I gotta say it: A rifle scope is a device for aiming a rifle at something you plan to shoot. It is not an optical device for watching birds or scanning the woods. Use binoculars for that. You never point a rifle at something you are unwilling to shoot and when you use the scope to take in the scenery, that is exactly what you are doing.[:(!]

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I posted this topic as I was curious about experiences people have had on this board since the subject came up at the local gun shop last night while getting my hunting license.

Getting scoped once may be inadvertant but being scoped twice is having a loaded rifle trained on you deliberately regardless of the idiot's intention behind the scoped rifle.

Many years ago as a teenager I was bear hunting with a family friend in Potter County and had an encounter of the close kind being scoped.
    While at a vantage point taking a break we scanned the area with binoculars and my friend, a WWII and Korean vet, noticed a fellow scoping us and made me aware of the fact. We changed our position well out of the scoper's sights. Several hours later the same thing happened with the same hunter scoping us and we moved again but by this time the day was ending.

While walking out on a logging road we met up with the scoper. My friend asked if he was looking at us through his scope and the fellow answered "yes". My friend politely asked to look at his rifle, which was still loaded, he unloaded it and handed the the rounds to the scoper and promptly smashed the rifle, a really nice Winchester 70 30-06, against a tree and handed back to him and said "You'll never point this rifle at another person again and if you wanna do something about this I'll call the police for you".

Nothing ever came of it except some members of the scoper's camp paying us a visit that night to find out what happened. After getting the facts they still were a little hot and did not agree with my friends actions but did appologize for one of their members scoping us.

Intentionally scoping someone is wrong, period.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.<BR>
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure we've all been in someone's crosshairs figurativly speaking at some time or another. As for physically being in someone's scope, if I have been I didn't know about it. Scary thought with some the blurps on here by questionable people and their interest in the effect of lead on human flesh.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lightning,

That's why you should carry a pair of binoculars in the woods with you. You can get a very small set for a pretty cheap price, and they can be carried without even knowing they are there. A hunter should never point his gun at something unless he has 100 % target identification, and is fully aware of what the backstop is if he does shoot. Seeing movement, and scanning the area with your scope is aiming the firearm at something your not quite sure of. It's an accident waiting to happen. I don't mean to lecture you, and I'm sure you were honest and understand fully what everyone is alluding to here. Next time use a set of cheap binoculars friend, and if you can't, and still need a pair just let me know and I'll send you a set. That's how strong I feel about this topic. Take me up on my offer if you need to.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was not joking.[:)]

Trinity +++

• Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time I`ll say pee!
  • Options
    pantera7974pantera7974 Member Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im going to the first night of my hunters safety course tomorrow night and hopefully this subject will be covered, i hear alot of stupid things people do out there, i hope there are more responsible people out there than idiots though.[B)]

HAPPINESS IS LIKE PEEING YOURSELF, EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT BUT ONLY YOU CAN FEEL ITS WARMTH.