In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

History of Father Pfleger

peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in General Discussion
This nutjob should have been fired from the priesthood a long time ago!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Pfleger

Background
A German American[2] from the south side of Chicago, Pfleger attended Archbishop Quigley Preparatory Seminary South, Loyola University and the University of Saint Mary of the Lake. He was ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Chicago on May 14, 1975. Since 1981, Pfleger has been pastor of the mostly African American Saint Sabina Catholic Church in Chicago's Auburn Gresham neighborhood. When he was appointed to his present position, at the age of 31, he became the youngest pastor in the Chicago archdiocese.[1] His parishioners have affectionately referred to him as a "blue-eyed black soul". Under Pfleger's leadership, Saint Sabina has established an Employment Resource Center, a Social Service Center, and also an Elders home.

[edit] Family
In 1981, Pfleger adopted an eight-year-old son, Lamar, in defiance of Cardinal John Patrick Cody who had threatened to fire him if he went ahead with the adoption. Lamar graduated from college and got a job with Continental Airlines, which he lost after the September 11, 2001 attacks. He subsequently enlisted in the United States Army. [3] In 1992, Pfleger adopted another son, Beronti, who currently attends the University of Central Florida. In 1997, Pfleger became the foster father to Jarvis Franklin, who was killed by stray gunfire on May 30, 1998.[4]

[edit] Social activism
Pfleger's social activism has brought him attention throughout Chicago and beyond. He has often collaborated and associated with African American religious, political and social activists such as Barack Obama, Jeremiah Wright, Joseph Lowery, Jesse Jackson, Cornel West, and Louis Farrakhan.[5]

[edit] Anti-drug campaigns
Under Pfleger's leadership, the community of Saint Sabina demanded the shutdown of a number of Auburn Gresham businesses specializing in drug paraphernalia. Pfleger's parish also campaigned for the removal of tobacco and alcohol billboards from their neighborhood. When billboard owners refused to cooperate in the early 1990s, Pfleger and others decided to climb ladders and deface the signs. Pfleger was charged with destruction of private property but was acquitted by a jury in 1991.[6] In September 1997, the Chicago City Council voted 44-1 to eliminate tobacco and alcohol billboards from selected areas in Chicago. Pfleger described the decision as "a tremendous victory for the children of Chicago, for our neighborhoods, especially black and Hispanic neighborhoods."[7]

[edit] Jerry Springer and Howard Stern
Pfleger has become one of the best known critics of The Jerry Springer Show, a controversial television program which is videotaped in Chicago. Believing the program to be immoral, Pfleger and his parishioners began picketing outside the show's studios in 1991. By 1998, he had organized a boycott of the show's advertisers. "[Springer is] glorifying violence every day.... Calling a woman a ho and a * is sick. This is not normal behavior," Pfleger declared. The show's producers eventually claimed that they would attempt to decrease the number of on-stage fights on the program.[8]

Pfleger later targeted radio personality Howard Stern in response to Stern's late 2005 advertising campaign to promote his move to satellite radio. Pfleger specifically objected to a pair of Stern's billboards in Chicago that featured an image of the black power salute and the caption "Let freedom ring. And let it be rung by a stripper" (a parody of a line in Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech). Pfleger told the media, "As we prepare to celebrate Dr. King's birthday, we will not tolerate this kind of disrespect. We should not have to tolerate it in our communities." Viacom, the owner of the billboards, eventually removed the signs because of Pfleger's protests. Pfleger received criticism from Howard Stern's fans, who questioned Pfleger's commitment to freedom of speech. Jesse Jackson came to Pfleger's defense, saying, "There are two freedoms at issue here. They have the right to advertise, and we have the right to resist it in our community. Sometimes freedom is challenged by a community's tolerance level. I think Father Pfleger is a man of great dignity and has an acute social conscious. And he deserves our support."[9]

[edit] Outreach to prostitutes
In 2000, Pfleger received international attention for encouraging his parishioners to buy time from prostitutes as a means of inviting the women to counseling and job training.[10] The Chicago Archdiocese largely distanced themselves from Pfleger's efforts, to which Pfleger responded, "How is what I'm doing not part of the Gospel? The church leaders talk about evangelization. Well, if this isn't evangelization, I don't know what is." Saint Sabina raised several thousand dollars for Pfleger's program, attracting many donors from outside their parish. St. Sabina has used similar methods to reach out to drug dealers.[11]

[edit] Southside Catholic Conference controversy
In 2001, Pfleger fired racism charges towards a mostly white elementary school athletic league, the Southside Catholic Conference, after they refused to admit Saint Sabina's parish school. The league claimed that visiting teams and parents would be unsafe in Saint Sabina's neighborhood. Pfleger responded, "Racism continues to be alive and well both inside society and inside the church. To be denied admission on the sole premise that certain coaches and parishes feared for the safety of their children is illegitimate, ridiculous and insulting. It is very troubling that the conference would insinuate that we would place their children in harm's way." [12] Chicago's Francis Cardinal George eventually pressured the league to reverse its decision.[13]

[edit] Billboards against 'disrespectful' rappers
In 2007, Father Pfleger and the faith community of Saint Sabina erected twenty billboards across Chicago with the words "Stop Listening To Trash", followed by a list of ten "disrespectful rappers". Pfleger said in a press release, "If we are going to end the violence and disrespect of women, we must fight every form of negativity, including the music industry." He explained to WMAQ-TV's Alex Perez, "When you disrespect women and you continue to demean a community or race by names and by language, that's unacceptable. . . . We can kill with our words."[14]

[edit] Pfleger and Jeremiah Wright
On March 28, 2008, Pfleger invited Jeremiah Wright, former pastor of presidential candidate Barack Obama, to deliver a blessing at Saint Sabina during a visit by poet Maya Angelou. Wright had been criticized by political pundits for making what they considered anti-American statements in a sermon, but Pfleger came to Wright's defense. "I wanted him to come here so he could see that people really stand with him and support him while he's under all this attack. America, unfortunately, has been really cheated of knowing the real Dr. Wright," said Pfleger.[15] In a statement on Saint Sabina's website, Pfleger wrote, "Dr. Wright is one of the great biblical scholars of our country and the best of preachers in the prophetic tradition. Dr. Wright has been shamefully demonized by 30 second sound bites that have tried to re-define him into someone other than who he is."[16]

[edit] Criticism

[edit] Disputes with Cardinal George
In February 2003, Pfleger generated controversy by inviting Al Sharpton to speak at a mass during Black History Month celebrations. Francis Cardinal George disapproved of Sharpton's appearance, due to Sharpton's support of abortion. Sharpton was also a presidential candidate at the time, and archdiocese officials were concerned that having a political candidate speak in church would cause them to lose their tax-exempt status. However, Cardinal George decided that trying to stop Sharpton from coming "would be a futile gesture and a waste of effort".[17]

Of his disagreements with Cardinal George, Pfleger once said, "I can only assume the Cardinal sees my style of ministry to be something he doesn't agree with. In that sense, he sees me as a thorn. That's what I'm left to feel like. I don't revel in that. In fact, it's very difficult. It's a very difficult feeling [being] on the fringe, getting public reprimands, public criticisms. I don't enjoy that at all. [But] my focus right now is to try to continue building up the church. A lot of what we do is [considered] out of the ordinary. That kind of puzzles me. It's not the church I grew up in. The church then was very involved in justice and civil rights issues."[18]

[edit] Controversy during Anti-Gun Protests
In May 2007, During a Rainbow/PUSH Coalition protest outside a suburban Chicago gun shop, Pfleger was accused of threatening the life of the owner, John Riggio. The Illinois State Rifle Association released a tape where Pfleger was heard telling the assembled crowd, "He's the owner of Chuck's. John Riggio. R-i-g-g-i-o. We're going to find you and snuff you out. you know you're going to hide like a rat. You're going to hide but like a rat we're going to catch you and pull you out." Pfleger later claimed his use of the phrase "snuff you out" was misinterpreted.

Cardinal George rebuked Pfleger, saying, "Publicly delivering a threat against anyone's life betrays the civil order and is morally outrageous, especially if this threat came from a priest." Pfleger claimed that he did not intend to use the word "snuff" as a slang term for "kill", but rather as a substitute for "pull", as he used later in his statement. [19]

During another protest at the same store, Pfleger and Jesse Jackson were arrested by Chicago police for blocking the entrance to the store. Both were later released without charge. The store had been the target of multiple protests by Pfleger and Jesse Jackson. According to the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation, Chuck's Gun Shop & Range, had sold over 2,000 weapons that were traced to crimes committed between 1996 and 2004.[20]

[edit] Controversy during 2008 Presidential Election
On May 25, 2008, Pfleger gave a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ, at that time the church of Presidential candidate Barack Obama, where he mocked Hillary Clinton, Obama's opponent for the Democratic Party nomination. Pfleger imitated Clinton by saying, "I really believe that she just always thought, 'This is mine. I'm Bill's wife. I'm white, and this is mine. I just gotta get up and step into the plate.' Then out of nowhere came, 'Hey, I'm Barack Obama,' and she said, 'Oh, damn! Where did you come from? I'm white. I'm entitled. There's a black man stealing my show!'"

After hearing about Pfleger's remarks, Obama said he was "deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric". Pfleger later released a statement through Saint Sabina that read, "I regret the words I chose Sunday. These words are inconsistent with Sen. Obama's life and message, and I am deeply sorry if they offended Sen. Clinton or anyone else who saw them."[21] On May 31, 2008, Obama resigned his membership in Trinity Church, saying the Wright and Pfleger controversies had distracted his campaign.[22]

Comments