In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Germany - 0 Algeria - 0

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
Headed to 30 minute overtime. Great game so far. As you all know, Germany is heavily favored, but Algeria came to play!

Wenn du hast Fussball nicht gern, du bist ein boser Junge. Du wirst Peitschen und Kohle zu Weihnachten bekommen.

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Looks like the Germans may yet manage a win, but there is a LOT of history between those two teams! No matter what their record was in Group Play, Germany has looked nothing like a powerhouse and their defense is slow and weak.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been in The Netherlands for a few weeks for work. We spent the evening in Meppen Germany. Nice town, great meal. Not a bad view from my hotel.
    20140630_200710_zpsdifnilaw.jpg
    20140630_190910_zpsv7ezgydx.jpg
    20140630_214613_zpsfvodc8wv.jpg
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Algerian team looked completely worn out in the extra time period, while the Germans appeared to be as fresh and aggressive as they were from the very start. Was this due to their lack of depth on the team? What happened, or does anyone have an opinion on it?
    What's next?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    The Algerian team looked completely worn out in the extra time period, while the Germans appeared to be as fresh and aggressive as they were from the very start. Was this due to their lack of depth on the team? What happened, or does anyone have an opinion on it?

I think that the Germans made better use of their substitutions (which in soccer are limited) while Algeria stayed too long with the same players and yes, they were dead on their feet at the end. The Germans can be beaten but it will take a strong offensive team to run up enough goals against them and France is such a team. I might also add that the Brazilian team looks nothing like its usual confident self and Colombia might just surprise them!

The few of us here who enjoy football/soccer will probably agree that this has been the best World Cup in decades!
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

I think that the Germans made better use of their substitutions (which in soccer are limited) while Algeria stayed too long with the same players and yes, they were dead on their feet at the end. The Germans can be beaten but it will take a strong offensive team to run up enough goals against them and France is such a team. I might also add that the Brazilian team looks nothing like its usual confident self and Colombia might just surprise them!

The few of us here who enjoy football/soccer will probably agree that this has been the best World Cup in decades!

That does make some sense, Mark, thanks. I'm just hoping that the American team will show some life against Belgium, especially on offense, instead of just showing up like they did against Germany.

My son would probably agree with you about this being the best World Cup in decades since he is big on soccer, where I don't usually watch it that much.
    What's next?
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lettered in soccer at 2 different colleges. I played soccer in league play for 17 years. I love soccer. Coached YMCA teams for 4 years.

Algeria gave the Krauts all they wanted for 90 minutes. They easily could have won the game, as they just missed about 4 times. Of course, the Germans just missed about 4 times too.

Looked like the Algerians ran out of gas in overtime.

Yes this is the best World Cup ever and I hope we beat Belgium today. If so, today will be the greatest day in the history of US soccer.