In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Silly Muzzle Loader Question

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
I may have messed up! And need to find out before tomorrow morning as tomorrow is opening day for muzzle loaders.

When I bought my Triple Seven pellets I accidently grabbed 45/50's and I am shooting a 50cal.

Can I use the 45/50's instead of the 50/50's?

They are the same grain but one is just a little narrower than the other.

Comments

• Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Not really seeing why not. The projectile should hold them tight. Powder weight remains the same. Worse case you can probably break it up and use it like loose powder, I suppose. [:D]But then I don't know $h*t anyway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    Not really seeing why not. The projectile should hold them tight. Powder weight remains the same. Worse case you can probably break it up and use it like loose powder, I suppose. [:D]But then I don't know $h*t anyway.

That was kinda my thinking, but I will admit to being a novice when it comes to muzzle loaders.

I just want to be sure so it does not blow up on me.[;)]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    See if this helps.

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven-pellets.html
    That just tells me about the products and not if I can interchange the pellets.

But thanks anyway.[;)][8D]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    See if this helps.

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven-pellets.html
    That just tells me about the products and not if I can interchange the pellets.

But thanks anyway.[;)][8D]

If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got it handled.[;)]

I had to do some digging but I found some 50/50's that I bought for my T/C Hawken and I desided to go with tradional BP in it instead.

I just went out back and fired a shot to make sure the pellets were still good after sitting around in an ammo can for over 3 years and it shot fine.

So tomorrow I am hopeing to put a 230gr slug into a deer![;)][:D]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kevin, I spoke with Hodgdon and they said you can use 45/50s in a 50 cal. You point of impact might change but you will get reliable ignition if you seat the bullet firmly on the pellets.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    * r done, you should have no major problem using the new pellets, the only problem I see would be they may not stay perfectly inline, and there may be a slight ignition problem, but the few thousanths we are talking about should be no major problem. It may effect accuracy a bit, while it may not split holes on paper, it should put holes in a deer with complete safety. good luck.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    G R D
    You will have no problem.
    You are still getting 50 grains of powder with each pellet. The only big difference is the 45 is just sized smaller to fit a .45's barrel.

If you seat the bullet tight against the powder it will crush the pellets anyway.

Did it many times before switching to speed loaders and Pryodex.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,661 ******
    edited November -1
    Speaking of smokepoles, how's the quitting going?
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:...switching to speed loaders and Pryodex.

Sorry, Les, I know what you're talking about but the image of using speed loaders with muzzleloaders just caught me off guard there! Thanks for a good belly laugh! [:D][8D][;)]

Big Al (still chuckling .... [:D] )

Good luck tomorrow morning, GRD!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Speaking of smokepoles, how's the quitting going?
    Down under a pack a day. I was up at 2 packs a day.

The bit I am still smokeing I think is more out of habbit because I really do not crave them.

Friday is my put them away for good day![:D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck with the deer hunting gitrdone!
    Let's see a photo of an eight pointer with a .50 hole in his lungs.